Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

L-Tuned Muffler Differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 09:25 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question L-Tuned Muffler Differences

with the current group buy going on right now with the l-tuned mufflers, i think a lot of us are jumping on it. however, there is a question i have and i think i'm also speaking for other members of the club as well. the ones for sale are actually for the GS300, which are a bit longer in the cans than the ones made for the GS400. still, they should fit in the GS400. my question is, what is the difference and why is the GS300 version longer than the GS400? will there be any issues using the GS300 version on the GS400? less drone? less woomp?
Old 06-29-06, 09:27 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering the exact same thing.
Old 06-29-06, 09:29 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And, along with Quick's question, does anyone have the LTuned Mufflers installed with the LSportLine bumper? (pictures please)

And does anyone have the LTuned Mufflers installed with the SRT intake? Which sound dominates at part-throttle...the muffler drone, or the SRT part-throttle roar?

$250 is a great deal, but I want to be happy. I'm still leaning towards the Tanabe Medallion Touring.
Old 06-29-06, 09:41 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 250, if you didnt like them you could sell them for the same in a few months when they are all gone. As far as LTuned exhaust and SRT, at part throttle you dont hear the SRT that much, more so the mufflers. At WOT you hear em both and it sounds great.
Old 06-29-06, 10:18 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The group buy post said that they were a little longer to curb the drone... With that in mind, I'm thinking that on a GS4, since the exhaust note is lower in freq by nature, the length of the exhaust can will not really affect the end exhaust note. the only change I can think of is that the tips will stick out a little more.
Old 06-29-06, 11:15 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

the tips should not stick out more. The cans are longer thus making the rear pipes shorter compared to the gs4 version.
Old 06-30-06, 10:48 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

installed them this morning, torqued the bolts to 50 ft/lb.

driving impressions:

started up the car, and heard a nice hum immediately. when driving, can't really notice the sound from the exhaust, but there is a deeper tone presence.

the car has NO drone whatsoever. the exhaust is not as loud as everyone claims it to be. overall, looks is excellent and the sound is a step up from the stock, but not a ricer sound. it's overall a nice deeper hum.
Old 06-30-06, 10:53 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver

driving impressions:

started up the car, and heard a nice hum immediately. when driving, can't really notice the sound from the exhaust, but there is a deeper tone presence.

the car has NO drone whatsoever. the exhaust is not as loud as everyone claims it to be. overall, looks is excellent and the sound is a step up from the stock, but not a ricer sound. it's overall a nice deeper hum.
Great feedback!

Anyone have a sound clip of these on a GS3?
Old 06-30-06, 11:33 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver

driving impressions:

So you did it yourself, Karl? Nice job. How hard was it to break the bolts on the original exhaust? Did you have to put the car on jack stands to do the job?

e
Old 06-30-06, 12:32 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to throw my $0.02 in there. I love my L-tuned mufflers. The sound was just incredible

Jonny
Old 06-30-06, 01:01 PM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Awesome!!! Cant wait for mine to arrive! im a big fan of the stock G35 sound, and if its anything like that i will be happy with mine!
Old 06-30-06, 01:50 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

SloGS3 - you and me both man! I'm over here at work just about rocking out of my seat because i'm so excited. i'll have to admit - i've already imagined what it would be like when i drove to work this morning...

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- brrrrrrrrrrr - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (my attempt at the G35 exhaust note)
Old 06-30-06, 02:37 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

So you did it yourself, Karl? Nice job. How hard was it to break the bolts on the original exhaust? Did you have to put the car on jack stands to do the job?
hey eric, i see you might be jumping on the bandwagon too, haha

the bolts weren't bad at all. mine were not rusted and all i did was spray some wd-40 on the threads and let them soak for a bit. afterwards, i loosed the bolt (not the nuts, they are tac welded) with a ratchet and a pipe used to extend it for more force. they just came out easily afterwards.

i used a 2 ton jack and jacked the rear differential up a bit, with the wheels still touching the ground. i just got on my back and under the back of the car and took them out. make sure you leave the bubble wrap and the card board that is still wrapping on to the mufflers when you install them. they can get scratched or dinged during installation. take them off when you're done installing the mufflers.
Old 06-30-06, 03:45 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Default L-tuned Exhaust

So let me get this straight: you bought the L-tuned exhaust from Carson Toyota, which is actually GS300 exhaust, for your GS400. Please confirm?
Thanks
Old 06-30-06, 04:00 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
So let me get this straight: you bought the L-tuned exhaust from Carson Toyota, which is actually GS300 exhaust, for your GS400. Please confirm?
Thanks
A lot of people did this, and after looking at the thread - so did you!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224329

StasGS4
nate579
TexasGS
TeflonGS
Neil64
sung35
mantis
etc...

Quick Reply: L-Tuned Muffler Differences