Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another squeeky clean throttle body (merged with more pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 05:59 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
good work e. I guess you couldn't watch your old GS get the treatment without helping out your own GS too, huh?

now you have me wondering how mine looks. I'll have to give it a shot. I wonder if the GS430 is exactly the same?
Hey Chuck. Seriously. Gunru is making me look bad over here. With all he's done to the car, I've got some serious work to do in order to keep up.

I bet yours isn't as bad as mine (your 2 years younger and have 50,000 less miles, which probably equates to a lot less gunk). Remember a while back we talked about the idle issue at start up (where mine dropped way down for an instant before settling back up at around 500 rpm). Yours doesn't do that at all. Assuming your car doesn't hesitate off the line, I bet you're fine. It might be interesting just to take a look though for purposes of comparison.

My next project is changing out the serp belt. I was looking at it yesterday and it's all dried and cracked.

e
Old 07-01-06, 08:01 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man

My next project is changing out the serp belt. I was looking at it yesterday and it's all dried and cracked.

e
super easy. 10 minute job.
Old 07-01-06, 10:56 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

super easy. 10 minute job.
Hey Chuck. Does this look about right?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...erpentine+belt

It seems like the Goodyear Gatorback is the belt of choice. I've heard you need to take off the air filter box to get to the tensioner. Is that right?

Last edited by e-man; 07-01-06 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 11:03 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good work on the TB Eric.
Old 07-01-06, 11:19 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Chuck. Does this look about right?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...erpentine+belt

It seems like the Goodyear Gatorback is the belt of choice. I've heard you need to take off the air filter box to get to the tensioner. Is that right?

hey e-yup,this pic pretty much sums it up. on my car I just had to remove the air scoop that sits over the radiator to get to it.
you just release the pressure on the tensioner and pull the belt right off. the bolt on the end of the tensioner is reverse thread, so you put a wrench on it and turn counter clockwise to release tension while you pull off the belt. there is a sticker on the car to help you remember how to route the new one if you need it.

Last edited by chuckb; 07-01-06 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 11:29 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

hey e-yup,this pic pretty much sums it up. on my car I just had to remove the air scoop that sits over the radiator to get to it.
you just release the pressure on the tensioner and pull the belt right off. the bolt on the end of the tensioner is reverse thread, so you put a wrench on it and turn counter clockwise to release tension while you pull off the belt. there is a sticker on the car to help you remember how to route the new one if you need it.

Looks pretty easy. And did you end up using a Lexus belt or some other brand?
Old 07-01-06, 03:30 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the gatorback belt. It seems to work well.
Old 07-01-06, 04:14 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Looks pretty easy. And did you end up using a Lexus belt or some other brand?
I'd get a factory toyota belt. sewell can get you one for under $30 I believe.
Old 07-01-06, 05:07 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.. i'm gonna take my car in soon to get throttle body and injectors cleaned too lazy to do it myself lol
Old 07-01-06, 09:58 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I did this today and noticed a few things as well. First, when first started car it idled high. Didnt go down too much either. What worried me most was that the "check engine" light, VSC, and the VSC OFF light came on. I tried turning car on and and off a couple times and still nothing. Shoud this turn off soon? Where could i have gone wrong. It literally took me 10 min max when air intake was off. Any suggestions to what might be wrong?
Old 07-02-06, 07:04 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
I did this today and noticed a few things as well. First, when first started car it idled high. Didnt go down too much either. What worried me most was that the "check engine" light, VSC, and the VSC OFF light came on. I tried turning car on and and off a couple times and still nothing. Shoud this turn off soon? Where could i have gone wrong. It literally took me 10 min max when air intake was off. Any suggestions to what might be wrong?
My guess is that you just need to reset your ECU. The fuse box is right in front of your battery. Pop the cover and pull the 20a fuse for the ECU-B. Leave it out for about 30-45 minutes, then put it back in. There is a fuse puller tool inside the fuse box. That should turn the lights off. Let us know if it works.

e
Old 07-03-06, 09:53 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Yea well i also did the cleaning as well and popped a check engine, vsc, and vsc off.

I drove to autozone and pulled the code. It came up with P1128, said something like "heat swapped o2 sensors" or something like that. I drove back home pulled the battery and started up the car and no lights anymore. But I havent drove around to see if they popped back up. Anyways car feels more responsive and idles slightly lower. My car just crossed 50k btw, throttle body was dirty as hell.
Old 07-04-06, 04:03 PM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Cleaned me throttle body this weekend. Definite improvement in the cars responsiveness, smoothness, and idle . Nice results for a $5 can of throttle body cleaner and 20 minutes of my time.

I didn't get any warning lights or extended high idle like some have. Mine idled a lil high for about 5-10 minutes then settled down nicely. Gained some off the line pickup. To early to tell if I have gained any extra mpg but the smoothness and increased repsonsiveness is reason enough to do this maint item. I'm thinking I will do it every 6 months or so to keep it clean, shiny, and buildup free.

I gotta say this freakin site rocks. I have always been a DIY kinda guy and club lexus definitely helps keep my car running tip top and me outta the poor house .
Old 07-04-06, 10:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

maybe the CEL comes on because the ECU was not use to such significant change in air intake volume at idle. resetting the ECU should do the trick, unless you happen to put the MAF on backward. lol.
Old 07-04-06, 11:03 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
maybe the CEL comes on because the ECU was not use to such significant change in air intake volume at idle. resetting the ECU should do the trick, unless you happen to put the MAF on backward. lol.

You dont have to take off the maf for this. So I dont understand the comment. But the check engine light has not popped up since I reset it.

Quick Reply: Another squeeky clean throttle body (merged with more pics)