Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another squeeky clean throttle body (merged with more pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 05:36 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this today, and it wasn't hard at all. I did it when I did the TB Coolant Bypass' since I had the TB off I figured it made sense to just clean it. I have driven the car yet to give any performance updates.
Old 12-18-07, 09:00 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a DIY for this somewhere? I was having some trouble finding it. Sounds pretty easy but I thought I would double check before I attempt...
Old 12-18-07, 09:03 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OOPS, I thought we had to remove more than just this stuff.. Nevermind... If its that easy then there's not much to it....

Or am I missing something, I have read something about a "lower" part of the throttle body that is what is usually what is really dirty...
Old 02-19-08, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb So I'm driving and the check engine light comes on.....$2 later, its off..

Yall know I DRIVE my Lexus and in January she drove all the way down to FT. Lauderdale and last week she was in Charlotte. I've actually calmed down a lot around Atlanta but thats a lot of driving....

On the way home on night, pop, the check engine light came on. Car wasn't driving much different, felt a lil rough but nothing serious. I checked the engine when I got home, no leaks or anything....

Well I don't know WHY but something told me to buy some Throttle Body Cleaner and I went to Advance Auto and it was on sale for $1.88.

Next step was to get them to read my OBD II codes FOR FREE. The pop the machine in and 3 codes came up
1. PO 440 Evac Emissions Control System Malfunction
2. PO 441 Evac Emissions Control System Purge Flow Fault
3. PO 446 Evac emissions Control System Vent Circuit Malfunction

Well I don't know what the **** that means but I dunno, I said "hey, let me clean the engine up".

I remembered this thread here started by e-man
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=throttle+body

So I read up on it and used it as a guide. It was a snap taking off the intake and I'll a couple more pics not in his thread.

The Throttle Body was pretty damn dirty and looked like his in pics (my car has 157k) miles now. I also washed and cleaned the entire plastic intake system.

I also bought and tried this Gunk oil flush...never used it before and I figure with 157k, the engine might need it.

You put it in before you change the oil, let the engine run about 10 minutes and then it drains out with the oil.

Well I did my oil change (Advance also has the gallon of Castrol on Sale for $8) and cleaned up the engine while I was at it.

Well I put everything back and she started right up and VIOLA no check engine light!

Its been 3 days and everything has been fine, she is even idling better and I feel pick up is much more instantaneous at speed.

It really doesn't take long and in all honesty, is a level 1 or 2 out of a 10 DIY. If I wasn't texting, I would have finished sooner.
Old 02-19-08, 05:52 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gunk oil flush... huh, who would have guessed.
thanks for the tips
Old 02-19-08, 06:22 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to hear. Thanks for bringing this up, it's been a long time since I have cleaned my TB. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
Old 02-19-08, 06:27 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
That's good to hear. Thanks for bringing this up, it's been a long time since I have cleaned my TB. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
Me to on the TB... Thats Hilarious.. "If i wasn't texting I would have finished sooner" Thats great..
Old 02-19-08, 06:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BlackoutGS
gunk oil flush... huh, who would have guessed.
thanks for the tips
I think it was more cleaning the throttle body.

Here is the hard to find bolt behind the Power Steering fluid...

The other one...

Old 02-19-08, 09:17 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

^^^ damn your ps fluid is dirty
Old 02-20-08, 06:27 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason for the CEL, VSC, VSC Off is because the ignition switch was turned with the maf sensor unplugged, or if the intake tube is not hooked up to the throttle body. The engine takes a snap shot at start up, but with the MAF disconnected it does not know how much air is flowing into the engine, and sets the codes.
Old 02-20-08, 05:48 PM
eclipse604
Rookie

cleaned my throtte body this afternoon. still didnt get rid of the rough idle.
mine was no where are dirty as the one in the first post tho haha
Old 02-27-08, 01:40 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eclipse604
cleaned my throtte body this afternoon. still didnt get rid of the rough idle.
mine was no where are dirty as the one in the first post tho haha
maybe you should replace things like the pcv valve its about 5 bucks and if that does not work change the spark plugs.

one thing at a time.
Old 02-27-08, 08:24 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If those things don't work try replacing your TPS sensor. I was told that would clear up the problem.
Old 03-25-08, 06:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My god, I was hoping it would be an easy and fairly quick process to clean my throttle body today but just like about everything it ended up being needlessly difficult and too much BS. I got the engine cover off fine and when I went to remove the black box I only saw one bolt which was on the left near the power steering fluid, when I tried to take it off it was on so tight that the bolt head popped off and fell down into the engine area, greaaaat just what I needed and naturally I could not get my hand in their to get it and nothing would catch it. So I ran out to the store in my moms car to get a magnet which naturally none of the stores had any or have the size I need or the power to pick up the screw so I end up getting one of those nail pick up things that ended up not working even after sawing off the ends to try and get it to fit down in there. I was able to get a metal rod down there and flick the bolt head to where it fell under the car.

Next I cannot find this other bolt that attaches the black box to the engine and I looked all around with a flashlight, I saw a bunch of bolts but none that looked like the one that needed to come off, I kept wiggling the thing to hopefully see what it was attached to but it seemed like it was attached from underneath the box where I can't get to. I then tried to pull out the larger tube on the right that is in back of the plastic notch next to the engine but it was not budging, great this is starting to get really irritating. My GS430 did not look exactly the same as the pics so I was not exactly sure what I was supposed to unhook. I said screw it with this black box and tried taking the air intake tube off the throttle body to see if I could do it without taking that black box off but that thing would not budge. I loosend the clamp more and was putting alot of force but it would not give any, felt like it was welded on there and would not even move or loosen and I was afraid I would break something if I put any more force. After a couple more tries my patience ran out and I said forget and put everything back on before I ended up breaking something and causing a bunch of expensive damage. This whole ordeal took about 4 hrs with absolutely nothing accomplished, what a waste of time. I don't know if I have enough patience to try it again, anybody have similiar problems with the large black box hose and air intake tube not budging when trying to take them off, I still did not see this second bolt either for the black box.
Old 03-28-08, 10:52 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default MAF Sensor and Throttle Body Cleaning DIY: GS400 & GS430

There was not a complete DIY on Club Lexus for either process, so this post was created in the maintenance section:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=345147

My thoughts and DIY notes are as follows on cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body (as the GS430 engine is structurally similar to the GS400, these instructions apply):

OVERVIEW
Why: to remove deposits on the MAF sensor, and carbon deposits on the throttle body that rob the car of fuel economy, power, throttle response, and idle smoothness
Cost: $10 in parts [CRC MAF cleaner ($6) and Valvoline Carb, Choke, & Throttle body cleaner ($4)]
Time: 30-45 minutes
Difficulty rating:1.5 of 5 (pretty easy to do)
How often: recommend once every 2 years (or when you replace your air filter)
Result: smoother idle while in gear and parked, better fuel economy, and more immediate, instant throttle response.

Quick Reply: Another squeeky clean throttle body (merged with more pics)