Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who purchased L-tuned on group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 08:20 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wringo
The tips were actually cut and extended 2" due to the L-sportline bumper! I never got a chance to see if they hung lower than the other,because they cut them prior to hanging them! I watched as they installed them to insure they were straight from the rear and even from the sides!
Right, but assuming they extended them straight, it looks like they would have lined up perfect.
Old 07-23-06, 02:02 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

We need another GB on this exhaust for those of us that couldn't get in on it the first time.
Old 07-23-06, 02:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

From what I understand, carson sold their l-tuned exhaust inventory and they wanted to get rid of them quickly, hence the price.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-23-06, 02:46 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they still have them listed on the website, but maybe they don't have large enough numbers to do a group buy? i would certainly be in.
Old 07-23-06, 07:45 PM
LexFather

Well mine are on, I love the sound and also the FIT. Fits great. I had borlas on my old GS 400 which sounded good as well but the fit sucked.

The tips are round to the borlas oval but I like both.

Wow, what a great price and quality part!!
Old 07-26-06, 12:35 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I hear ya. But here's the thing. I really don't do very much to my car, so my needs in the way of tools are very basic. If I'm going to go out and invest in expensive tools, I may as well just go ahead and spend the $40 or $50 to have someone else install the exhaust for me. True, at the end of the day, if I take that money and spend it on tools I'll have something to show for it, but the truth is that I probably wouldn't use those tools ever again anyway. It's really too bad, because if I could just break the bolts loose, the install looks like it would be a piece of cake, and there's definitely something very satisfying about doing a job yourself as opposed to paying someone else to do it.
It sounds to me like you have tried and that bolts are stuck and that it would be best to take it somewhere to have it done. That way if the bolt snaps the shop will have to take care of it vs. if you snapped the bolt you would certainly have a lot more work to do.
Old 07-26-06, 01:05 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLex
It sounds to me like you have tried and that bolts are stuck and that it would be best to take it somewhere to have it done. That way if the bolt snaps the shop will have to take care of it vs. if you snapped the bolt you would certainly have a lot more work to do.
I think Eman already got his installed and unless the shop that did the work tightened up those bolts so only He-Man and Skelator could undo them, he should have no problems in fixing the misaligned exhaust himself.
Old 07-26-06, 03:10 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cliffud
anyone think the stripping chemical used for the DIY Chrome Grill mod can be used for the backs of these l-tuned cans to remove the black stuff? the mufflers are so shiney, I want to show them off if I can.

thoughts?

DIY Chrome Grill

I know exactly what your talking about
b4 i installed mine about 3yrs ago
I tried the Jasco Paint Stripper
and it didnt do anything
its some type of coating that didnt come off
I want to show mine off too
Old 09-09-06, 10:01 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Put mine on this morning. If anyone is still having problems with the tips not being even, it seems the flanges have some "play" in them in that they can rotate in relation to each other when mated up which can cause the tips to hang incorrectly. I was able to get mine straight by loosening the bolts and pushing on the cans then re-tightening them.
Old 09-09-06, 10:04 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXISM
I know exactly what your talking about
b4 i installed mine about 3yrs ago
I tried the Jasco Paint Stripper
and it didnt do anything
its some type of coating that didnt come off
I want to show mine off too
Did anyone ever find a way to remove the blackout paint from the end of their cans? I was thinking of polishing it off with a buffer, but wanted to know if someone had found another way and to see a pic of how they looked on the car afterwards to know if it was even worth doing.
Old 09-09-06, 11:10 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Put mine on this morning. If anyone is still having problems with the tips not being even, it seems the flanges have some "play" in them in that they can rotate in relation to each other when mated up which can cause the tips to hang incorrectly. I was able to get mine straight by loosening the bolts and pushing on the cans then re-tightening them.
Great tip. Here's what I don't understand. How can there be play where the flanges mate up to each other? Don't the bolt holes have to line up in order to insert the bolts? Are you saying that one bolt hole is larger than the other such that you can move the bolt around within one of the holes and tighten it in different positions? Does that make sense?
Old 09-09-06, 11:22 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Great tip. Here's what I don't understand. How can there be play where the flanges mate up to each other? Don't the bolt holes have to line up in order to insert the bolts? Are you saying that one bolt hole is larger than the other such that you can move the bolt around within one of the holes and tighten it in different positions? Does that make sense?
Yes the flanges certainly mate up to each other perfectly. I guess there must be just enough wiggle room around each bolt to allow the muffler's flange to rotate around the axis of the muffler pipe that is inserted into it. I am talking maybe a millimeter at this point. However, this translates into greater and greater amounts of play as you move away from the flange, so I can move the tip several millimeters.
Old 09-09-06, 11:29 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Yes the flanges certainly mate up to each other perfectly. I guess there must be just enough wiggle room around each bolt to allow the muffler's flange to rotate around the axis of the muffler pipe that is inserted into it. I am talking maybe a millimeter at this point. However, this translates into greater and greater amounts of play as you move away from the flange, so I can move the tip several millimeters.
Okay, at least we're on the same page. I agree that small adjustments at the flange can make a difference at the tip that's greater than the adjustment. Let me ask you this. How far off were your tips? My left one was probably about 2 inches lower than the right (basically the left was about 1.5 inches too low and the right was .5 inches too high). I was able to lower the right side by .5 inch by using larger rubber hangers, and I was able to lift the left side by wedging a rubber insert in the muffler hook. The problem is that I don't think the adjustments you're talking about would have made enough of a difference in the tips to even everything out.
Old 09-20-06, 05:01 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Okay, at least we're on the same page. I agree that small adjustments at the flange can make a difference at the tip that's greater than the adjustment. Let me ask you this. How far off were your tips? My left one was probably about 2 inches lower than the right (basically the left was about 1.5 inches too low and the right was .5 inches too high). I was able to lower the right side by .5 inch by using larger rubber hangers, and I was able to lift the left side by wedging a rubber insert in the muffler hook. The problem is that I don't think the adjustments you're talking about would have made enough of a difference in the tips to even everything out.
Mine were only off by a small amount, maybe 1/4".