Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who purchased L-tuned on group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 12:13 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My group buy experience so far:

1) Got my confirmation e-mail that my order was received.
Satisfaction rate = 10! woo hoo!

2) Got a phone call confirming my mailing address - was informed that I would not be able to receive the package at my office since it is not my billing address for the credit card. I wanted to know when the exhaust was going to arrive so I could be home to get it and not have it stolen off my front porch. Luis said "you'll get an e-mail with the shipping details so you'll know". ok - fair enough.
Satisfaction rate = 8. I guess I can understand their rules.

3) Checked e-mail, no shipping details.
Satisfaction rate = 7.

4) Called Carson Toyota 3 times in the past 15 minutes, got either the answering machine saying Luis is out of the office for July 5 (it's July 6 now...) or kept getting the receptionist who kept telling me that the wholesale parts department was busy. Finally contacted someone in parts who asks for my e-mail address so I can get the e-mail and then he hands the phone to "the guy who has the list" of shipping numbers who reads off a UPS ground shipping number.
Satisfaction rate = 4

5) Check online for the UPS ground shipping number. Number is invalid.
Satisfaction rate = 2

6) Called Carson Toyota back a total of 3 more times just to go through the whole merry-go-round of asking for Wholesale Parts instead of asking for the Parts department and then specifying "wholesale". I was greeted with the answering machine a few times (Heeeey- it's still July 5 and Luis isn't in the office! ), nobody answered the phone, got rerouted to the receptionist a couple of times, finally hung up in frustration.
Satisfaction rate = 0

7) Post my experience to let Carson Toyota know that their customers are frustrated with their service.
Satisfaction rate = 6. It doesn't make me happy to write this, I just want to share my experience.

8) Called one final time. Got through to Gordon, got the shipping number, it was correct.
Satisfaction rate = 10.

Thanks Carson Toyota.

Last edited by cliffud; 07-06-06 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-06-06, 12:18 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DIY install for L-tuned Mufflers:

Equipment:

- shop gloves, when i installed my last exhaust system i got a metal splinter so becareful.
- 14mm socket wrench (you'll need 2 depending on how you install it)
- safety glasses because debris will fall down.
- jack and jackstand (sorry no pix)

Step 1: jack up the car and place on jackstands.

Step 2: place something over stock tips so that when you remove the muffler it wont scratch the paint (as you can see i used a sock).

Step 3: unscrew the bolts i circled in green, do it on the side facing inward because the otherside is a welded nut...

Step 4: once you have unscrewed the bolts you will have to sort of rotate the stock muffler and pull on the rubber hanger to get it off. i recommended using gloves because as your trying to pull off the rubber hangers you can possibly cut yourself.

Step 5: leave the ltuned mufflers in its packaging material because you dont want to scratch anything. next you pretty much do everything in reverse order by first attaching the Ltuned mufflers to the rubber hangers.

Step 6: now inside the box that the mufflers were shipped in there should be a bag of bolts, nuts, and lockign washers...

remember early how i said you needed 1 or 2 socket wrenches depending on how you install it.

for the use of 2 socket wrenches, you'll need the following out of the bag:
- 2 bolts
- 2 nuts
- 4 washers
install a washer on both sides, one the bolt side and the other on the washer side. thats pretty much it. i dont understand the need for 4 washers per muffler because the nut itself is a locking nut. if you just have access to only one socket wrench just use 2 washers per muffler.

Step 7: remove packaging material and your done with one side repeat the process on the other side and your done. pat your self on the back and grab a nice cold beer.

Old 07-06-06, 12:23 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Awesome write up. Thanks man!! Now if only I could get the exhaust to my house and be there when they arrive so they don't get jacked off my front porch!
Old 07-06-06, 01:44 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune CLIFFUD, I too did not recieve any shipping information. But unlike you, I got Luis on the phone after my 2nd attempt and he provided me with the correct shipping information and my babies should be here anytime. My house is usually the last on the brownies route. So hang in there. Now to debate Do it myself or pay the $50.00 to the muffler shop.
Old 07-06-06, 02:22 PM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I want to apoligize to anyone that has not been able to get through today. I have been busy getting out tracking information to all the exhaust orders today. I received the list for the three days that we have been sending them out. I won't go into specific numbers, but as most of you can tell by the amount of feedback so far, it was an enormous amount of exhaust systems. To top it off my email went down for a bit, but its back up now. If you guys get a chance, please check your voiemail and email as I have been using both methods today to get out the tracking info.

Clif I apoligize about the re routing of the calls. We have a new receptionist and some of the calls have ende up in the wholesale dept.

I will continue to send out the emails for the rest of the tracking numbers the rest of the today, if you need to call me ask for Luis in parts. They will transfer you straight to me, and here is my direct line 310-522-2383
Old 07-06-06, 06:08 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Great write-up, Joshoowa. A few (probably very dumb) questions:

Originally Posted by joshoowa
Step 1: jack up the car and place on jackstands. WHERE DID YOU PLACE THE JACKSTANDS?

Step 2: place something over stock tips so that when you remove the muffler it wont scratch the paint (as you can see i used a sock).

Step 3: unscrew the bolts i circled in green, do it on the side facing inward because the otherside is a welded nut... DID YOU NEED TO SPRAY WD40 ON THE BOLT TO LOOSEN IT PRIOR TO REMOVING IT?

Step 4: once you have unscrewed the bolts you will have to sort of rotate the stock muffler and pull on the rubber hanger to get it off. i recommended using gloves because as your trying to pull off the rubber hangers you can possibly cut yourself. WHERE IS THE RUBBER HANGER? JUST BEHIND THE MUFFLER? DOES IT COME OFF OR DOES THE PIPE SLIDE THROUGH IT? DO YOU HAVE ANY PIX?

Step 5: leave the ltuned mufflers in its packaging material because you dont want to scratch anything. next you pretty much do everything in reverse order by first attaching the Ltuned mufflers to the rubber hangers.

Step 6: now inside the box that the mufflers were shipped in there should be a bag of bolts, nuts, and lockign washers...

remember early how i said you needed 1 or 2 socket wrenches depending on how you install it.

for the use of 2 socket wrenches, you'll need the following out of the bag:
- 2 bolts
- 2 nuts
- 4 washers
install a washer on both sides, one the bolt side and the other on the washer side. thats pretty much it. i dont understand the need for 4 washers per muffler because the nut itself is a locking nut. if you just have access to only one socket wrench just use 2 washers per muffler. CAN'T YOU STILL USE 4 WASHERS PER MUFFLER EVEN IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SOCKET WRENCH? COULDN'T YOU JUST USE A SOCKET WRENCH ON ONE SIDE AND AN ADJUSTABLE WRENCH ON THE OTHER?

Step 7: remove packaging material and your done with one side repeat the process on the other side and your done. pat your self on the back and grab a nice cold beer. WHAT KIND OF BEER?
OH, AND TWO LAST QUESTIONS. WAS THERE A GASKET BETWEEN THE PIPES WHEN YOU REMOVED THE OLD EXHAUST? IF SO, DID YOU JUST REUSE IT?
Old 07-06-06, 06:12 PM
e-man
Pole Position

By the way, I'm pretty sure Carson tried to call my cell phone today. I had a missed call from the 310 area code, but there was no voice mail.
Old 07-06-06, 06:29 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

[QUOTE=joshoowa]
DIY install for L-tuned Mufflers:

Got my today. Thanks for the great write up, car looks great !
Old 07-06-06, 09:05 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did anyone get check engine & vsc light????

installed mine today. Tried to install my self but could not loosen the bolts so paid muffler shop $40 to install. Sorry no pics.

I did not get any lights until a couple of hours later when I was leaving Best Buy. But before that, I had problems firing up the car to move it into a parking space??
Old 07-07-06, 05:12 AM
mantis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e-man
Step 7: remove packaging material and your done with one side repeat the process on the other side and your done. pat your self on the back and grab a nice cold beer. WHAT KIND OF BEER?
I have the least experience with a Lexus around here, but I will have to use my limited expertise and say: HEINEKEN
Old 07-07-06, 07:45 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

I installed mine last night at my buddies shop, a job that should have taken about 15 minutes with the car on the lift and power tools, but unfortunatelly i got 3 of the 4 bolts off before the last one stripped out. So as you can imagine, i spent another 25 minutes cutting that off, and after finally getting it off it was 5 minutes to throw the muffler on there again. I reused the old gaskets, and i have no leaks whatsoever! The exhaust sounds good, kinda on the quiet side as i was hoping for a little bit more noise, but its ok, id rather habve it be quiet than obnoxious. Overall, im very pleased with mine, thanks to Luis at Carson for getting it out to me at such a great price!!
Old 07-07-06, 08:26 AM
e-man
Pole Position

After reading everyone having all of these problems with loosening/breaking the bolts, there is absolutely no way I am going to be able to this myself.
Old 07-07-06, 08:31 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

After reading everyone having all of these problems with loosening/breaking the bolts, there is absolutely no way I am going to be able to this myself.
you could always use pb blaster or wd40.... then again 40-50 at the muffler shop isnt bad either
Old 07-07-06, 09:40 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

To quote my boss...

"Never give up. Almost nothing works the first time it’s attempted. Just because what you’re doing does not seem to be working, doesn’t mean it won’t work. It just means that it might not work the way you’re doing it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and you wouldn’t have an opportunity. "

"When you’re ready to quit, you’re closer than you think. There’s an old Chinese saying that I just love, and I believe it is so true. It goes like this: “The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.”

"Find a way to make it work. I didn't include you to do the usual corporate move of bowing out. Any knucklehead can do that. As soon as we say we can't do something we are correct, right? Find a way to make it work -- do it quickly."
Old 07-07-06, 09:54 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Talking

Well,
I sprayed the bolt with WD40 a day ahead of time. Then, I got the three bolts out pretty quickly. The fourth one got rounded off (!). I tried to use vice grip but the position of the bolt does not allow that. I tried using smaller socket, standard socket (as opposed to metric), nothing worked. I was about to take it to a muffler shop... That's when I remember seeing the special socket for rounded off nuts and bolts at Sears. I forget what they're called but they worked like a charm. The L-tuned are on my car now and I'm loving them.
Oh, one last thing, I did not see any gasket in the stock exhaust when I removed them so I installed the new ones without one. I notice some people installed theirs with gasket. Could the rest of you let us know what you did?
thanks.

Quick Reply: Who purchased L-tuned on group buy?