Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about Tanabe exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 10:20 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowssm
^^^^ Thats what im talking about ^^^^
Hey Yellowssm, when is that exhaust gonna arrive already, are they still looking for a box to ship it in?!
Old 07-05-06, 10:37 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
Hey Yellowssm, when is that exhaust gonna arrive already, are they still looking for a box to ship it in?!
Ok here is the new story from LMS...... "We finally got the box, but now there was some fitment issues with the last bunch of exhausts we made. I am waiting for my pipe bender to get back to the shop so he can make some new ones, but that might be a little bit cause he just moved. Someone must have dropped the jig and threw off the specs of it thats why the exhausts werent fitting properly. I'll call you as soon as we make new ones."

I just want my damn exhaust!!!!
Old 07-05-06, 10:43 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Ok here is the new story from LMS...... "We finally got the box, but now there was some fitment issues with the last bunch of exhausts we made. I am waiting for my pipe bender to get back to the shop so he can make some new ones, but that might be a little bit cause he just moved. Someone must have dropped the jig and threw off the specs of it thats why the exhausts werent fitting properly. I'll call you as soon as we make new ones."

LOL, that's hilarious, "ok we have the box but now we dont have anything to put in it"..
You should tell them to hurry up, because HKS and Greddy might come out with something
nicer in the meantime! Hey at least when you do get it, it won't be such a pain in the a$$ to install
Old 07-05-06, 11:04 AM
suprafrank
Rookie

You guys must be old men or something if you think 350z's are loud. LOL
I've had 2 S200's (try driving that little car from las vegas to CA) 90mph on cruise control 5000+ rpm screaming
Put my old 2005 Audi S4 non-res exhaust with downpipes, with CAI next to a 350z and you wont even hear the 350z.
Personally I ordered the LMS exhaust cause I want the maximum HP out of an exhaust regardless of sound.

LOL. The thing is loud doesn't mean fast. So many Civic or other cars make the loud noise but I don't see it moving fast. I like my car fast, quiet inside (well, little bit of exhaust sound is nice when I rev up the engine), and exhausts sound good but not excessive on the outside. Ferrari sounds good and not excessive but man, you can really feel the vibration from that pony's exhaust's tone. I also like to enjoy the nice Mark Levinson system sound not disturbed.

What are other Lexus IS owner's opinions??
Old 07-05-06, 11:12 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suprafrank
LOL. The thing is loud doesn't mean fast. So many Civic or other cars make the loud noise but I don't see it moving fast. I like my car fast, quiet inside (well, little bit of exhaust sound is nice when I rev up the engine), and exhausts sound good but not excessive on the outside. Ferrari sounds good and not excessive but man, you can really feel the vibration from that pony's exhaust's tone. I also like to enjoy the nice Mark Levinson system sound not disturbed.

What are other Lexus IS owner's opinions??
I like when civics make a lot of noise and don't go anywhere, It gives me
something to point and laugh at , but as far as our cars go, i agree, I think from what
I could tell by sound clips, that the Lms exhaust might be either a tad bit to loud for
a lexus to be, or right at the limit.. I think the tanabe would be ideal, but it's not a
full off road exhaust system, (which is what i want), and before anybody says "You cant have an exhaust that removes the cats and isnt that loud".. Yes you can, Ive had it b4 in other cars. with the right high flow resonators i think its possible..
Old 07-05-06, 11:49 AM
suprafrank
Rookie

Just checked out your car's pics with those nice rims. Look nice. Any problem with your front tires scratching the fender well considering the size of the rims and the tires plus it seems that you dropped your car's height??
Old 07-05-06, 12:54 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Just checked out your car's pics with those nice rims. Look nice. Any problem with your front tires scratching the fender well considering the size of the rims and the tires plus it seems that you dropped your car's height??
It rubbed at first but that was a easy fix. Heat gun & razor blade and 99% of the rubbing is gone. There are still those time when you go over those big dips that its going to rub but it is a very very slight rub and it doesnt hurt anything.
Old 07-05-06, 02:47 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350ISFUN
Just got my Tanabe install last week....first impression....very quite exhaust system....Nice deep sound....I would compare it to a BMW 3 series...
Thanks for the info. Good to know. Did you have the exhaust welded or bolted? I am planning to get it. The shop said it will take 3 days for the installation. I only have this car and I can't walk to work. I guess I will have to do it when I have 3 week days off. This could be a problem.
Old 07-05-06, 03:35 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info. Good to know. Did you have the exhaust welded or bolted? I am planning to get it. The shop said it will take 3 days for the installation. I only have this car and I can't walk to work. I guess I will have to do it when I have 3 week days off. This could be a problem.
Your shop is confused. The tanabe is a direct bolt on. Anyone with ramps/jack stands and a couple of wrenchs can put it on in their garage. It shouldn't take a shop with a lift and an air tool more than 15 minutes to install it.
Old 07-05-06, 04:04 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jdmekcivic
I have the Tanabe exhaust. I my opinion inside with the windows up the exhaust is almost non existent. You have to be in the throttle pretty hard to hear it. When the windows are down you get a deep sounding exhaust. I love the way it sounds and the way it looks. I would have gone with the LMS but I didn't want to deal with the smog issues that it may cause here in Cali.

Hope this helps.

Also, Suprafrank- where are you in Cali? If you are ever around the San Fernando Valley let me know and you are more than welcome to come by and check it out.

Thanks. Unfortunately I live in Nor Cal. But I will take your word for it. How long it took them to install the Tanabe exhaust on your IS??

Last edited by suprafrank; 07-05-06 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 04:08 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by al503
Your shop is confused. The tanabe is a direct bolt on. Anyone with ramps/jack stands and a couple of wrenchs can put it on in their garage. It shouldn't take a shop with a lift and an air tool more than 15 minutes to install it.

Good point. I will go to the shop tomorrow and ask the mechanic there. I thought it should take no longer than few hours to do that since it's a motorsport autoshop. But do they need to do some modification in order to make it fit??
Old 07-05-06, 04:22 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point. I will go to the shop tomorrow and ask the mechanic there. I thought it should take no longer than few hours to do that since it's a motorsport autoshop. But do they need to do some modification in order to make it fit??
Nope. Without seeing it in person, it looks like there are 2 flanges with 2 nuts and bolts each. Besides that, you'll have some metal hangers that support the mufflers, which will slide into some rubber sleeves attached to the body. With a socket set, a little grease, and a lift, I could do it in 20-30 minutes depending on the stubborness of the hangers in the rubber sleeves (sometimes they're hard to pull out).
Old 07-05-06, 04:27 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...tanabe+exhaust

def shouldnt take a shop 3 days to install it
Old 07-05-06, 06:02 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...tanabe+exhaust

def shouldnt take a shop 3 days to install it

I will go ask the technician/mechanic in the shop tomorrow. I know it doesn't make sense. Can't wait till I get that exhaust.
Old 07-05-06, 07:36 PM
Jdmekcivic
Pole Position

Thanks. Unfortunately I live in Nor Cal. But I will take your word for it. How long it took them to install the Tanabe exhaust on your IS??

I actually installed it myself. It took me about 15 minutes with a floor jack and 14 mm wrench. There are 2 bolts and about 6 hangers. It is such an easy job. Use some WD40 on the hangers so they slide off easier. A shop should have it done in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck with the exhaust. I think you will love it!

Quick Reply: Questions about Tanabe exhausts