Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My new Area 51 intake and ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-01, 09:04 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Area 51 intake and ECU

Hi all, I've been posting on is300.net about my new intake, and have been posting some long term results and impressions... you can find it here:
http://www.is300.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ult...c&f=2&t=001153

Here's an excerpt, my initial post and evaluations:

Got my intake today, and since I couldn't bring myself to get into the city today for work, I decided to take my mind off all those that I have yet to hear from by doing the install...
The box was small, all the parts protected by some protective wrap and styrofoam peanuts. Inside there were 2 A51 fabrications stickers, the intake (2 pieces, pipe and airbox), Blackbox(BB), all fittings and assorted parts.

The install took me about 1.5-2 hours. Keep in mind I am inept when it comes to cars, and this was a little scary as a novice. The box was packed with intructions for the BB, but NOTHING in terms of the intake.

The BB was first. You open the 3 bolts holding the cover oh the ECU box, pull off some of the old electrical tape to get to the wires, and then proceed to locate the specific (i believe 4) wires you need to tap into. 1 wire needs to be cut and the 2 ends connect to 2 wires to the black box. Two other wires are connected by "T" connectors, which are 2 piece connectors. 1 piece is clamped onto the ECU wires, so tight that it splits the insulation and taps into the wire. This piece is connected to a piece that is connected to the BB.
That being complete, you re-tape the wires and bolt the ECU box closed. I wasn't sure how to get the wires out of the box as the seal is strong. I put the wires thru where the rubber seal was, as it is softer than the plastic
The BB is then screwed into the top of the plastic ECU box. I would have put it beteweent the ECU and the headlight as suggested, but it did not fit.

Next was the intake... as I said, no instructions so I started by removing the old intake. First, remove the engine cover. after that, i loosened the spring clamps near the headers and near the airbox. after that, I disconnected the 2 hoses, 1 near the headers, and the second was connected to the bottom of the airbox. The 1st was connected by a spring clamp, the second was bolted and clamped. next I unbolted the air scoop and set it aside. after this, I disconnected the mass airflow sensor (MAS) and then removed the 2 mounting bolts for the intake.

At this point there was no turning back... I was scared by the gaping hole this left, but was confident I could finish.

The intake itself is adonized aluminum, in black with an "Area 51" sticker on it. (the package came w/ 2 a51 stickers which I won't put on

I began to assemble the intake parts... first I slid the rubber sleeves over the "elbow" pipe's ends and clamped them down tight. I slid the 2nd set of pipe clams on but left them loose. The air box arrived sealed, so there was no need for me to install the filter myself. If i needed to access it, it would require a hex wrench for the 4 bolts, a poor choice in my opinion.
The airbox attatched to the sheet metal of the car by 2 bolts. The box attaches directly to the metal, whereas the stock intake connects with a spacer and rubber washers. I connected the first hose to the intake pipe near the headers, then the second. I found the clamps to be loose, so I tightened them by squeezing them with pliers and reapplying them. still loose, I sanded the intake at the connection points and found a positive seal. I then connected the pipe to the box, and loosly clamped everything, adjusted, and clamped it all down, 4 clamps in total. Reconnected the MAS with the supplied bolt, of which there was only 1. How they can ship with 1 is beyond me as it needs 2. An oversight by A51 again, for future orders they should package the bolts in a bag, not on the unit. I improvised by using the stock screw, which is a weak fit.

That's basically it. I reconnected the battery and started it up. It sounded a wee bit louder revving, but nothing to note.
I then drove it.
wow!
Throttle response is AMAZING. the car is so much more responsive. The HP gains I assume are over-rated, I don't belive they are as astronomical as A51 claims, but they are DEFINITLY there. It feels as if the car needs to "re-learn" my driving style, and is a bit twitchy still in shifting, a symptom that was present when I first bought the car, but disapeared within the month for the most part.

I'll keep you posted on any comments I might have, and feel free to ask me anything.
Old 10-23-01, 06:25 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Default TTT

Although the link in the above post doesn't work because the website is down, here are 2 pics i shot right after the install on September 14th:
intake

Black Box
Old 10-23-01, 08:31 AM
MastaTibz
Rookie

Nice Pics!!! I can't wait til I get mine soon....
Old 10-24-01, 05:52 AM
MastaTibz
Rookie

Do they have a site I can go to???
Old 10-24-01, 06:00 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

not yet, they're working on it though.
Old 10-25-01, 10:32 PM
TMR IS300
Driver School Candidate

Although the numbers seem "over rated" They are true. These numbers where obtained using my car. A51 dynoed my car and prototyped it on my car. I also had my car dynoed at Jacson Racing and saw the same numbers. Its no fluke.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=13866189&f=0
Old 10-28-01, 05:46 PM
darth_yao
Driver School Candidate

All in all, I'm only somewhat impressed with the Area 51 intake. I had the AEM and decided to put on the Area 51 intake to get something closer to stock engine noise levels. Well, I got my stock engine noise level back, but lost the power that the AEM had.

Also, the AEM fit perfectly, it looks like it was made by a company that has a good reputation for making great intakes. whereas the Area 51 intake needed some cutting of the sleeves in order for it to fit and lacked the fit and finish of the AEM (we ARE talking about installing this in a Lexus after all).

I'm leaving the Area 51 on for daily driving, and when the season opens back up, I'm putting on the AEM whenever I go to the track.

I like the AEM for its power, but need the Area 51 to keep my sanity on those long commutes.
Old 10-29-01, 08:21 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

i think you're making the mistake of correlating power w/ sound... I'll bet my intake that the AEM produces less power.
Old 10-29-01, 02:35 PM
darth_yao
Driver School Candidate

Man, it's hard to ignore that challenge... I'd seriously consider it if I didn't already have an Area 51 intake.

Why don't you wait a couple of weeks until I get both of my intakes dyno'd then we'll see if I take you up on that wager of yours.

It's nice holding all the cards.

Old 10-30-01, 10:21 PM
TMR IS300
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Well, A51 dynoed my car with the A51 intake and BB, SRT, RMM and RMM with BB. A51 wins on the dyno and the streets.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...6189&f=0&vt=vp
Old 10-31-01, 03:59 AM
darth_yao
Driver School Candidate

Oh... I thought soy was talking about just the AEM and Area 51 intakes, no piggy back ECUs.

Of course the AEM by itself will produce less than the Area 51 intake AND BB. That's a given.

I was claiming that the Area 51 intake by itself does not yield the same gains as the AEM intake.
Old 10-31-01, 06:09 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Originally posted by darth_yao
Oh... I thought soy was talking about just the AEM and Area 51 intakes, no piggy back ECUs.

Of course the AEM by itself will produce less than the Area 51 intake AND BB. That's a given.

I was claiming that the Area 51 intake by itself does not yield the same gains as the AEM intake.
it's fairly obvious that I have BOTH the intake AND the BB.
Old 10-31-01, 06:15 AM
darth_yao
Driver School Candidate

And it's just as obvious that a stand alone intake is not comparable to an intake and piggy back ECU combo, so why would you even want to compare the two ?

I was initially talking about my AEM intake having more power than my Area 51 intake... sans BB.
Old 10-31-01, 09:03 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Originally posted by darth_yao
And it's just as obvious that a stand alone intake is not comparable to an intake and piggy back ECU combo, so why would you even want to compare the two ?

I was initially talking about my AEM intake having more power than my Area 51 intake... sans BB.
I guess you're counting your lucky stars that YOU didn't offer up something to bet, and now to save face you have to keep this BS going...
would you compare your AEM to the SRT? it's the same concept as the A51. The SRT will whoop the AEM hands down, and without tripping a check engine light or stalling the car. But NOW you're saying we can't compare the 2 because of the ECU? That's BS... You're trying to make apples and oranges of something that is, and always has been referred to as "an intake" period. If AEM sold theirs w/ an ECU it would still be an intake, not an "intake and an ecu."
Old 10-31-01, 04:40 PM
darth_yao
Driver School Candidate

I can't believe I'm dignifying this post by replying to it.

Let's take this one by one.

Originally posted by soyb0mb
would you compare your AEM to the SRT? it's the same concept as the A51.
No, I would not compare the AEM and the SRT because of the same reason
I would not compare the AEM alone with the Area 51 intake and BB.

You're trying to make apples and oranges of something that is, and always has been referred
to as "an intake" period.
If you've always referred to the Area 51 intake and BB as the "intake", then you have always been mistaken.
If Area 51 meant the "intake" to be the intake and BB, why would they sell the intake seperately ?
What would you call the Area 51 intake by itself ? I thought so.

Last but not least,
now to save face you have to keep this BS going...
I think you're confused. If you will read my original post up there, you will notice that I said I'd take out the Area 51 intake and replace it
with the AEM whenever I go racing. If I meant "intake" was intake and BB in that post, do you really expect someone to unsolder the BB every Friday night just to run a couple of times down the track, only to
solder the BB back on for Monday morning ? Of course not, I was talking about replacing intakes... and just the intakes, no BB... and no BS.

Quick Reply: My new Area 51 intake and ECU