Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing Belts and potential for damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 12:58 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Timing Belts and potential for damage

If my timing belt was to break when I am tooling down the highway, would I incur engine damage? (or does the engine do that "free-wheel" thing)
Old 07-20-06, 01:03 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

your pistons may smack you valves and you may bend them or break them resulting in the worse case senario or you can be super lucky and nothing goes wrong. there are tons of variable to get into but those are the main cases.
Old 07-20-06, 01:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
If my timing belt was to break when I am tooling down the highway, would I incur engine damage? (or does the engine do that "free-wheel" thing)
I thought the GS400 had an interference engine On that basis, yes it would more than likely do some serious damage.

Jonny
Old 07-20-06, 02:57 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
..... there are tons of variable to get into but those are the main cases.

Please explain....what are the variables?

Old 07-20-06, 03:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Please explain....what are the variables?

http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/TimingBelt.htm

Jonny
Old 07-20-06, 09:43 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Dx, thanks for the link man. I know you're trying to help.

I'm very, very familiar with engines. Know each part, replaced most of them, set my own valves on the standard chevy and ford engines of old, rebuilt untold carb's, replaced heads, tranny's, TQ's, engines, etc.
I actually have a 69 Camaro RS that I'm building now too. Pics will show up here for that one day.

Your reply and the story in your link did have a sentence that summed up my question in new verbage though, that was cool.

"There are two types of engines that use timing belts. They are described as: "Interference Engines" and "Non-interference Engines".

Which do we have? That is the question.

My tongue-in-cheek reply about the variables was just bait. I do not believe there are any variables here. I set the parameters in my original post....."tooling down the highway". ie. no load, high rate of constant speed, BAM- belt breaks.

Sure, there are variables to *DETERMINE* if you have an interferance or non-interferance engine, but, that wasn't the question, so, I wanted to see how "variables" fit into my original post.
BTW, that's a great link you put up. Seriously.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 07-20-06 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 09:55 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

All this talk of "interference" reminded me of a time I was whipping around town here locally in that same 69 Camaro RS mentioned above.
I pulled away from a light pretty quickly one time and then heard a god-awful noise, with a subsquent "miss" in the engine. I also noticed that the power wasn't there as much, it sounded bad. Gave me that wrenching, knotted feeling in the gut, ya know?

I pulled over, popped the hood, looked around. All looked ok. I pulled off the valve covers (T-handles used on studs) and BAM, there was a floppy rocker and a piece of a broken chrome-moly pushrod!! Whoops!

I grabbed the broken pushrod and drove home........very carefully.

Old 07-20-06, 10:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Dx, thanks for the link man. I know you're trying to help.

I'm very, very familiar with engines. Know each part, replaced most of them, set my own valves on the standard chevy and ford engines of old, rebuilt untold carb's, replaced heads, tranny's, TQ's, engines, etc.
I actually have a 69 Camaro RS that I'm building now too. Pics will show up here for that one day.

Your reply and the story in your link did have a sentence that summed up my question in new verbage though, that was cool.

"There are two types of engines that use timing belts. They are described as: "Interference Engines" and "Non-interference Engines".

Which do we have? That is the question.

My tongue-in-cheek reply about the variables was just bait. I do not believe there are any variables here. I set the parameters in my original post....."tooling down the highway". ie. no load, high rate of constant speed, BAM- belt breaks.

Sure, there are variables to *DETERMINE* if you have an interferance or non-interferance engine, but, that wasn't the question, so, I wanted to see how "variables" fit into my original post.
BTW, that's a great link you put up. Seriously.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=interference

From this link TLW said that the GS300 and GS400 are both interference engines.

Jonny
Old 07-21-06, 12:08 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

EXCELLENT FIND Dx3!!!! Thanks for that. I really did want that "positive, absolute" kind of answer. Looks like you found it!!

TLW sure knows his sheet!!

THANKS!
Old 07-21-06, 12:39 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

EXCELLENT FIND Dx3!!!! Thanks for that. I really did want that "positive, absolute" kind of answer. Looks like you found it!!

TLW sure knows his sheet!!

THANKS!
Glad to help man.

Jonny
Old 07-21-06, 01:32 PM
GS300t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no clue about the 400, but everyone seems to agree that it is an interference engine. As for the 300, I'm pretty positive that it is non-interference as TLW states. Later on someone says they think they're both interference, but I'm pretty sure the 300 is not. Not that you care since you have a 400, but thought I'd clarify all info given.