Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turboing a 02 GS300, Gurus please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06 | 02:48 PM
XBS1
Driver

Exclamation Turboing a 02 GS300, Gurus please chime in.

Well let me start off by saying that while I am new to the GS300 and the 2JZ-GE/GTE I am not new with forced induction so I have a good amount of understanding just need help with some specifics points.

The Goal : Need to get more power out of my GS300! Its too slow, especially with the wheels and audio. Dont think I need over 500WHP would like to get close.

Stipulations: I really dont want to replace the block with a GTE or do an engine swap, I know i have the VVT-i engine and the rods are thinner, I read a Supra GE block is stronger than mine, If I would find one at a reasonable price i would do it.

The Work: I would be doing all the labor and install myself with a friend. So labor wouldnt be a money issue.

The Car: 2002 GS 300 with VVT-i engine, 140k miles, Tranny seems to be slipping once in a while in the lower gears.

So I know im going to need to build the tranny for sure, which brings me to my frist question:

Where do I get the Tranny rebuilt? I am in socal. OR should i swap in a Auto off a supra?
Suggestions appreciated>

What Sinlge Turbo kits are there? Do I have to go with a custom kit, or are there singal kits out there availble for a good price?

EMS:I will be using the Greddy Emanange Ultimate. I am very familar with this unit so would be using it for tunning, Are there any conflicts with the EU and the stock ECU?

Headgaskets: So I will be using a 3MM HG and ARP studs, This should be enough for under 500whp correct?

Fuel System: Do i need to make a return fuel system kit for this car or does it already have one?
Will a single walbro upgrade be sufficient for sub 500whp?

Rear end: What LSD is the most cost effective.

This car will still be dailly driven when its done thats why im looking for horsepower in the high 400 range. I will be building the tranny and looking for the most reliable FI car I can build on my budget, even thought i know those two words should never be used together when talking about FI.

Everyones input is greatly appreciated. and trust me I have searched and read numerous threads, just looking for the most current up to date info.

Thanks everyone.

-George
Old 07-25-06 | 03:30 PM
XBS1
Driver

anyone have any info?
Old 07-25-06 | 06:26 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Aristo front clip, drop in and ride. Very easy. Plenty of power.
Old 07-25-06 | 06:29 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

SRT sells single turbo kits
Old 07-25-06 | 06:29 PM
XBS1
Driver

Were would I go about locating one? whats the cost, and lastly what do i do for enginemanagement and fuel?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-06 | 06:31 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by XBS1
Were would I go about locating one? whats the cost, and lastly what do i do for enginemanagement and fuel?

Thanks!
Far east . Japan and neighbors , i think it costs around 2K-3K $
Old 07-25-06 | 07:39 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Where do I get the Tranny rebuilt? I am in socal. OR should i swap in a Auto off a supra?
Suggestions appreciated>

When Im going FI I will probably have boostlogic redo my tranny since they have built many auto supras and auto IS300s. Not much different. I heard supra auto's tranny's were shorter and you will need a custom driveshaft. Plus they are more local to me in TX.

What Sinlge Turbo kits are there? Do I have to go with a custom kit, or are there singal kits out there availble for a good price?

There are tons of kits out there. Not many GS300s kits, but lots of IS300 kits. Most of them are the same with the exception of the IC pipes and length of downpipe etc which can be done easily. SRT, TurboEast, PFS, Boostlogic, PHR, Toyomoto etc etc.

EMS:I will be using the Greddy Emanange Ultimate. I am very familar with this unit so would be using it for tunning, Are there any conflicts with the EU and the stock ECU?

Not sure, still researcing on this one. Lots of people going with AEM EMS and had great results.

Headgaskets: So I will be using a 3MM HG and ARP studs, This should be enough for under 500whp correct?

The pistons/rods on the VVTI really doubt you could push that 500. I wouldnt try. I would say 350-400 is more reasonable. Now the GTE internals can handle 500+ as a witness on a bud's supra. They key is tuning.

Fuel System: Do i need to make a return fuel system kit for this car or does it already have one?
Will a single walbro upgrade be sufficient for sub 500whp?

It is not necessary, but if you try to push 500+ I highly suggest you do. GS300 does not have a return. I will be running a return line when im ready to go FI.

Rear end: What LSD is the most cost effective.

Supra TT LSD would be best or TRD. IM doing more research on the kaaz and not too many people have it.

Hope that helps somewhat. I've few FI hondas in my days, but the Lex Im doing more homework and funds before im ready. Still debating either a Aristo swap or just FI what I have. Good luck.