Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Purchasing Exhaust System Soon. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 01:09 AM
pli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Purchasing Exhaust System Soon. Suggestions?

Sorry i understand that these questions have been asked so many times around the forum but there isnt enough information for me to really understand the products. and please bare with me, since i am new to this forum. i have to get a little bit used to it and do a little bit more research.

Anyways, i found this in one of the posts.

This is the Tanabe Hyper Medallion <---love the sound but not really sure if it really is quiet.
Video Clip 1) http://www.sharkle.com/?a=video&id=1747
Video Clip 2) http://www.sharkle.com/?a=video&id=1757

I did a couple researches around, and found this to be my favorite. I love the sound and how quiet it seems, but does anyone know if this is really the actual sound or could it be louder? If anyone has this exhaust, may i kindly request someone record it on a digital camera or video camera because i would like to make sure if it really sounds like that.

I am up for suggestions if anyone knows of a really really quiet exhaust, with the stock oem look or a oval canister look. i had in mind the apexi ws or ws2. i would also like to know if there is a difference in it? which one sounds more nice and quiet? i only saw/heard a video clip of the ws2 and it was okay.

to make it simple, im looking for something quiet, stock-looking, and preferably something with performance gain.

Thank You all for listening, reading, and writing to this post. i hope to hear from everyone and get a lot of information.
Old 07-24-06, 01:42 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First off a muffler won't gain you any real performance. Mentally inspired performance maybe....louder car= faster ? To gain any real power from exhaust system mods, you will need to replace everything from the exhaust ports on the engine block all the way to the back of the car. Includes headers, remove cats, and all new piping to the back. Of course this will be extremely loud, but it is the only way to gain real power.

Anyways, back to the original topic. Do you actually want any sound increase over stock, or you just want it to look better? If you want it to look better and not change the sound, you can buy exhaust tips and have them welded on at a local muffler shop. It will give the rearend of you car a nicer look without any additional noise. Now if you want a very slight slight increase in noise, then you might consider the Borla mufflers. I've never heard them in person, but from what I've gathered...they seem to be the quietest muffler for the GS out of all besides stock. I have the L-Tuned mufflers on my car. These are the next step up in noise level, but they are still pretty quiet in my opinion. With any of the other mufflers you go with, the noise level really won't be terribly loud. The GS has plenty of noise reduction components in the exhaust system, by the time the noise reaches the mufflers it's not that loud. I ran my car with the mufflers off one time and drove around for the hell of it. The noise level was still "tolerable"

I'm usually bored so I type up responses. Most of the other guys will just tell you to search. Don't worry you will get the hang of it soon enough
Old 07-24-06, 06:12 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, don't you guys sleep?
Old 07-24-06, 08:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

+1 on the borla. I added mine on saturday and it was everything I hoped for.

During normal acceleration, it's slightly louder than OEM (v8 rumble) until I get to cruising speed and then it sounds like OEM. So really, it'll only make noise if you floor it or accelerating to cruising speed. Even the tip looks OEM, but even better. The stock tip is too small for the bumper cut-out. The borla isn't too big, nor too small, just perfect. I'll try to snap some pictures if I can, and hopefully record something.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Old 07-24-06, 09:03 AM
pli
Lead Lap

interesting...

well, i never knew if you put an exhaust system/catback on a gs, there wouldn't be any performance gains. not even a little? because i know that the honda civics, when you stick a full catback exhaust, you get performance gains. maybe its just that our GS has too much power and you cant feel that slight gain

well...has anyone here actually tried dynoing their cars to see the results, because it doesnt really prove if there is an increase in HP if none of the cars have been dynoed.

and no im not here for looks. i need performance gains. im not sure if the gs is set up the same way, but for civics, theres the exhaust, then theres the cat, then the bpipe, then the header to the engine. correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-24-06, 09:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Well, most of the exhaust for our cars are not catback. A lot of them, if anything, are resonator-back types. You'll want to eliminate the resonator since it's right after the catalytic converter.

If you want gains, remove all the resonator. A lot of people here dyno their cars after an intake install. I know Hameed has peformance gains, but he basically redid his whole exhaust system.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-24-06, 10:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I get a lot of compliments on the sound of my magnaflows. I have to do a vid/sound clip for the masses
Old 07-27-06, 09:38 PM
pli
Lead Lap

well guys! ive decided, and i guess im going to get the borla. if you guys are satisfied, im satisfied.

now i just need to look for a borla for cheap. does anyone know any sites or does anyone know if anyone is selling a used one?
Old 07-28-06, 04:27 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the classifieds, there should be a couple on there. You might also want to check eBay.
Old 07-28-06, 06:24 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I was going to go Magna-Flows, but then the L-Tuned GB deal came up. IMO the Magna-Flow's are a bargain. Great quality and a great sound for just about the same price as the GB on L-Tuned.
Old 07-28-06, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Well, most of the exhaust for our cars are not catback. A lot of them, if anything, are resonator-back types. You'll want to eliminate the resonator since it's right after the catalytic converter.

If you want gains, remove all the resonator. A lot of people here dyno their cars after an intake install. I know Hameed has peformance gains, but he basically redid his whole exhaust system.
I will dyno my car sometime next month and will hopefully show that I have gained at least 10 RWHP from my exhaust mod.

The better part to me of the exhaust mod is the exhaust audio track. Any performance gains will just be icing on the cake!
Old 08-01-06, 04:54 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tanabe SM Hyper is a full catback exhaust system.

For the GS300 and GS400, performance and efficiency gains from intake exhaust mods will not be monumental, but they will exist. Generally, on a stock GS400 with a catback, you should expect around 6rwhp. With additional modifications, you may gain more.

The biggest benefit of upgrading the exhaust system is the reduction of weight.
Old 08-02-06, 08:59 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

IF you want a quiet exhaust you should look into:

1-borla exhaust
2-l-tuned
3-apexi gs
4-carson tuned full cat back

But if you search you should be able to find a post with all of these exhaust with sound clips.