Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I added some PRestone Octane Booster (will update and try other octane products)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06 | 06:31 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

Correct me if I;m wrong, but if use that stuff to much doesnt it shorten the life of the spark plugs and produce more carbon deposits ????
Old 08-06-06 | 09:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Most of the octane boosters are a mixture of Toulene, Xylene, a small amount of acetone, and bit of lubricant. For the most part, you can dump a gallon of Toulene [or two] into the tank with a bit of mystery marvel oil, reset the ECU, and go to town. Better yet, 100 octane non leaded race fuel is $5.50 per gallon. Remember to reset the ECU.

Eric
I do have a question about racing fuel. I would use to go to the track, it won't hurt an engine will it? I know high HP Supras etc use for track/drag days.

Just wondering on a Lexus engine.

In the U.K, BP is selling something called Optimax that is rated at 102 at limited gas stations. There is an article in EVO about it.
Old 08-06-06 | 10:13 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

i have used xylene for years in my race cars, a 20% mix will give you a real substantial octane boost unlike the in store products which do close to nothing. a few things to note:
-it's carcinogenic and you need to handle with care or it can cause serious damage to you
-it can be destructive to fuel lines, this of course does depend on the quality of the original fuel lines. on the cars that i've used this on i had braided stainless steel fuel lines and i never had a problem.
-on cars that are not specifically tuned for higher octane fuels, which our gs' aren't, you will see no performance increase (other than the ones in your head ). the caveat here is that if the quality of the fuel that you are using is really bad then you may benefit from the octance boost since the ECU may have been detecting pinging and pulling the timing. of course if this was actually the case then it would be much more cost effective to put good quality fuel in to begin with rather than adding toulene/xylene.
Old 08-06-06 | 10:14 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

also VP motorsports sells up to a 105 octane unleaded (MS109) fuel, but again if you're can isn't tuned for it it's not going to do anything for you.
Old 08-06-06 | 10:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Most likely it wont increase power. Higher octane fuel have less internal energy than lower octane fuel. It takes more power (spark) to ignite racing fuel than regular pump fuel. Those Supra guys use them to prevent detonation/ping/knocking. Out stock engine (even with bolt-ons) doesn't quite generate the kind of heat to require racing fuel

A few years ago, someone Dyno'ed their 98-02 Honda accord V6 with the required 87 octane and compared it to the dyno run with 91 octane. Suffice to say, 91 octane made less power at the wheel than the required 87.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-06-06 | 11:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I stick to 93 octane gas and stay away from the boost in a bottle gimmicks. Clean internals (engine and tranny) and less heat will yeild added performance.
Old 08-06-06 | 06:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sbgs300
i have used xylene for years in my race cars, a 20% mix will give you a real substantial octane boost unlike the in store products which do close to nothing. a few things to note:
-it's carcinogenic and you need to handle with care or it can cause serious damage to you
-it can be destructive to fuel lines, this of course does depend on the quality of the original fuel lines. on the cars that i've used this on i had braided stainless steel fuel lines and i never had a problem.
-on cars that are not specifically tuned for higher octane fuels, which our gs' aren't, you will see no performance increase (other than the ones in your head ). the caveat here is that if the quality of the fuel that you are using is really bad then you may benefit from the octance boost since the ECU may have been detecting pinging and pulling the timing. of course if this was actually the case then it would be much more cost effective to put good quality fuel in to begin with rather than adding toulene/xylene.
Thanks a lot. You don't happen to have a black GS 300 that was at the Varsity meet Wednesday?
Old 08-06-06 | 07:49 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks a lot. You don't happen to have a black GS 300 that was at the Varsity meet Wednesday?
nah i used to own a gs3 when i joined CL in 02, now i've got a gs4. i'm up in athens, i'd like to come out to some of your atlanta events but my wife is giving birth next month so time is tight...
Old 08-06-06 | 07:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sbgs300
nah i used to own a gs3 when i joined CL in 02, now i've got a gs4. i'm up in athens, i'd like to come out to some of your atlanta events but my wife is giving birth next month so time is tight...
Congratulations!! Meets will continue so when you have time, that is cool, please at least sign up for Lexfest www.lexfest.net, even if you don't think you can attend.
Old 08-06-06 | 07:56 PM
LexFather

Oh and if u want us to change your name to be 400 instead of 300, PM me.
Old 08-06-06 | 10:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In the U.K, BP is selling something called Optimax that is rated at 102 at limited gas stations. There is an article in EVO about it.
I believe gasoline octane is measured differently there (R/2 vs. (R+M)/2 ??) and I think 98 there is equivalent to our 93 here or something like that. Anyway I don't think their 102 would rate the same in the U.S. Maybe 95.
Old 08-07-06 | 02:28 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

there are sunoco's up in the NE that carry this...Sunoco 260 GT™ 100 which is also known as CAM2....

we use to go get some of this when we use to go **cough cough** "Test our vehicles performance with our peers"***cough race cough......

here's an excerpt from the site..

Sunoco 260 GT™ 100, which has the highest octane rating of any street legal fuel, is now available at selected retail locations.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 is designed for high performance street cars, muscle cars, classics, street rods, motorcycles, karts and marine applications. Sunoco 260 GT 100 contains no metallic compounds to harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits. Sunoco 260 GT 100 is also compatible with virtually all two-stroke synthetic and mineral based motor oils.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 Unleaded is available at selected locations throughout the U.S. In certain areas, Sunoco 260 GT 100 Unleaded is available under the CAM2 GTTM 100 label.

check here to see which locatuion is close to you...
http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...T100Locations/
Old 08-07-06 | 03:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSoup
there are sunoco's up in the NE that carry this...Sunoco 260 GT™ 100 which is also known as CAM2....

we use to go get some of this when we use to go **cough cough** "Test our vehicles performance with our peers"***cough race cough......

here's an excerpt from the site..

Sunoco 260 GT™ 100, which has the highest octane rating of any street legal fuel, is now available at selected retail locations.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 is designed for high performance street cars, muscle cars, classics, street rods, motorcycles, karts and marine applications. Sunoco 260 GT 100 contains no metallic compounds to harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits. Sunoco 260 GT 100 is also compatible with virtually all two-stroke synthetic and mineral based motor oils.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 Unleaded is available at selected locations throughout the U.S. In certain areas, Sunoco 260 GT 100 Unleaded is available under the CAM2 GTTM 100 label.

check here to see which locatuion is close to you...
http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...T100Locations/
bit, thanks dood.

Great post GSoup