Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo heat shields/jacket

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 10:22 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo heat shields/jacket

Has any of my fellow turbo brethren tried to put on a heat shield or better yet added a jacket? In my endless pursuit to keep my underbonnet temps low, I have found this as well as another from innovative turbo systems. Are the jackets much better than just getting the metal heat shields like the Turbonetics style.
Any feedback would be good.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/pr....asp?PRODID=51
Old 08-06-06, 11:42 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

hmmm...looks similar to boost logic's turbo blanket...whatever works
Old 08-07-06, 01:32 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the blanket would shield more heat than the metal shield.

The turbo will just heat up the metal shield and give off heat.
Old 08-07-06, 09:00 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

hte problem that i have heard with the blankets is that they retain so much heat its kinda hard on the turbo. i would think that the shield would be better for turbo longevity, but like others have said, prolly not the best for underhood temps. we have a case of the turbo blankets at the shop, but i'm still undecided on whether i plan to use one or not.
Old 08-07-06, 01:02 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Supraownzu
hte problem that i have heard with the blankets is that they retain so much heat its kinda hard on the turbo. i would think that the shield would be better for turbo longevity, but like others have said, prolly not the best for underhood temps. we have a case of the turbo blankets at the shop, but i'm still undecided on whether i plan to use one or not.
I will try them out. I actually have 2 that are ordered and on the way from innovative turbo systems. From my understanding, the turbo fatigue is due to the rapid cooling of the turbo housing. I would think that the heat stress would be a factor, but I guess as long as I am not on the boost for long periods of time, I should be ok. Well, I guess if the turbo fails, I could order a new set of Garrett with ceramic bearings . Let's hope not. Well, here's to the R+D of my GS.
Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-06, 04:21 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

the more i think about it, i may use one as well. ive got a bunch of lines and wires running fairly close by my turbo. what was the price on yours from innovative, i wonder if the ones we have are cheaper???
Old 08-09-06, 11:29 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Supraownzu
the more i think about it, i may use one as well. ive got a bunch of lines and wires running fairly close by my turbo. what was the price on yours from innovative, i wonder if the ones we have are cheaper???
82.00 each + shipping
Old 08-20-06, 08:39 AM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Definitely use something... Otherwise all your hoses are not gonna last long. The heat is tremendous. I had my manifold and the backhousing of the turbo heat coated with a special paint. And also used the jacket from boost logic. Well worth the money. You can rest your hand on the blanket during high engine temps. Next I am getting my dump tube and downpipe coated. Cooler engine is a happier engine.
Old 08-20-06, 08:41 AM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Definitely use something... Otherwise all your hoses in the engine bay are not gonna last long. The heat is tremendous. I had my manifold and the backhousing of the turbo heat coated with a special paint. And also used the jacket from boost logic. Well worth the money. You can rest your hand on the blanket during high engine temps. Next I am getting my dump tube and downpipe coated. Cooler engine is a happier engine.