Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

K&N Typhoon Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 12:11 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Dammit Chris, you beat me to it!!! I wish I could have driven out there to pick mine up - now I'm stuck waiting for it in the mail Did they give you a drop-in filter too?

I thought they said it was going to be powder coated?!? I would have preferred that over the chrome look - I guess it doesn't matter since most of it is covered up anyway... I still might get it powder coated myself...

About the dynograph, I don't have the comparison - they just gave me a printout of your car's stock run, which is absolutely USELESS now 7 months later:

Javier
Old 08-15-06, 12:43 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is cool. Thanks for posting the pictures!
Old 08-15-06, 01:21 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Dynoed at 2500RPM in 3rd gear...something is not right.
Old 08-15-06, 01:28 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by IS350S
Dynoed at 2500RPM in 3rd gear...something is not right.
Yeah, it was dynoed at 2500 RPM... and 3000 RPM and 3500 RPM and 4000 RPM too... let's not turn this into a dyno over-analysis! I've already mentioned that this dynograph is useless, and merely posted it for entertainment purposes. That's it. If someone (maybe myself) dyno tests the K&N kit later on, we can at that point resume the bickering and arguing...

Javier
Old 08-15-06, 02:23 AM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu know what Javier, I thought it was going to be powder coated also. I'm going to talk to the guy tomorrow. I didn't get a drop-in filter. I was just rushing to get there before the guy left.
Old 08-15-06, 03:07 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

looks good.....it seems like it keeps the heat away from the intake pretty well since it has a sheild that also incorperates the front air scoop

Post clips if you can!
Old 08-15-06, 03:15 AM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Just curious... Does this void the dealer's warranty?
Old 08-15-06, 05:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, but does the top seal around the shield make contact with the hood of the car? Hopefully it does as the hot engine air rises and will get sucked right into the intake.
Old 08-15-06, 07:36 AM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Just curious, but does the top seal around the shield make contact with the hood of the car? Hopefully it does as the hot engine air rises and will get sucked right into the intake.
It does not touch the hood of the car. It does though touch the engine cover partially though, I just took a second look at it with the cover on. But it should help reduce the amount of hot air that is sucked unlike the completely open short ram intakes and like mentioned before, it does incorperate the stock front air scoop thing which will help bring some cold air also.
Old 08-15-06, 08:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoychris
It does not touch the hood of the car. It does though touch the engine cover partially though, I just took a second look at it with the cover on. But it should help reduce the amount of hot air that is sucked unlike the completely open short ram intakes and like mentioned before, it does incorperate the stock front air scoop thing which will help bring some cold air also.
Yeah I just realized that the heat shield can't come in contact with the hood of the car because there is already a plastic engine bay cover on top of the intake. Seems like K&N is the best SRI so far by design, but not that great looking. Maybe black would look better. Also, probably won't see any difference on the dyno compared to all the other Short Ram intakes, but should be slightly more functional on the road.
Old 08-15-06, 09:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like its still JoeZ and K&N drop in for me
Old 08-15-06, 09:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

The thing I like best about the K&N (besides it being free ) is that it incorporates the stock ram air scoop. Increased (cooler) air flow + deeper sound + free = Javier happy. I do want to see how the heat shield interacts with the engine cover - if it's not a good seal, I'm gonna fab something up and seal it myself.

Javier
Old 08-15-06, 10:21 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know what you find Javier and how you mod it to work better.
Old 08-15-06, 10:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The thing I like best about the K&N (besides it being free ) is that it incorporates the stock ram air scoop. Increased (cooler) air flow + deeper sound + free = Javier happy. I do want to see how the heat shield interacts with the engine cover - if it's not a good seal, I'm gonna fab something up and seal it myself.

Javier
You certainly can't call the stock scoop a "ram air". It is a duct at most.
Old 08-15-06, 05:50 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Yeah I just realized that the heat shield can't come in contact with the hood of the car because there is already a plastic engine bay cover on top of the intake. Seems like K&N is the best SRI so far by design, but not that great looking. Maybe black would look better. Also, probably won't see any difference on the dyno compared to all the other Short Ram intakes, but should be slightly more functional on the road.
Yeah, they told me it would be powder coated, but they gave me polished. I wish it was black. I didn't have a chance to call them today because I was extremely busy. I have to call them tomorrow and I'm going to let them hear my initial thoughts about the install and some feedback on it being used.

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon Intake System