Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharger IN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 10:33 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
Whoa, what kit costs $5000 that pumps out ~400 rwhp on a G35?
I don't want to jack rt's thread any further. Check your PM's duck.
Old 08-21-06, 10:34 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richw350
Damn. A company works on a completely new product for our cars and that yields pages upon pages of *****ing and whining?!

Why don't you wait until he gets the correct pully on the car and then he can post #'s with the original baseline data? Wow, that would be an idea [/sarcasm]

I am excited about this possability. I would really like to have a S/C on my car if it put me in the ~350+ rwhp range. I will wait on the new numbers and hope for me attention in this area from more companies (crosses fingers).
I agree 100%... If one didn't know better, they'd think that this mod was a required upgrade with the amount of whining going on here.
Old 08-21-06, 11:46 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richw350
Damn. A company works on a completely new product for our cars and that yields pages upon pages of *****ing and whining?!

Why don't you wait until he gets the correct pully on the car and then he can post #'s with the original baseline data? Wow, that would be an idea [/sarcasm]

I am excited about this possability. I would really like to have a S/C on my car if it put me in the ~350+ rwhp range. I will wait on the new numbers and hope for me attention in this area from more companies (crosses fingers).
I think it's funny how people make blanket statements like these without even directing them at the so called "whiners". So far, I think this is the most whiney post in the thread.

I'm glad this product has been developed, and I apreciate those that are supporting further development.
Old 08-21-06, 11:51 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense to Lms, but I'm not sure how good their super charger can be if they still haven't gotten their exhaust system right yet..
Old 08-21-06, 11:59 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Dont some of you guys understand the concept of common courtesy? The guy just spent a good bit of money on his system. He wasnt looking for a debate or complaints. He just wanted to share with the community that there is a SC available and he got one!

He's excited about it and happy with the project. Even if you cant be happy for him, the polite thing to do would be to just congratulate him and move on to the next thread. Trying to talk down his project and the product is really in poor taste and generally lousy form. Be happy for him already!
Old 08-21-06, 12:08 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I think it's funny how people make blanket statements like these without even directing them at the so called "whiners". So far, I think this is the most whiney post in the thread.

I'm glad this product has been developed, and I apreciate those that are supporting further development.
There is no need to direct at a specific person(s)... I'm sure most of them could recognize themselves in his post.
Old 08-21-06, 12:16 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rt350-

Thats sick dog...congrats on the SC, hope you get it working to your liking!
Old 08-21-06, 12:44 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't there a general rule about percentage change in power based on each PSI of boost?
There are percentages, but I'd say it isn't always as accurate as some people would like, as it depends on the design of the power adder, while a lot of other factors must be equal among engines. When you compress air, it becomes hotter*, which goes for power adders and engines alike, so detonation will potentially occur easier (hence why some cars need higher octane fuels). Take for example, running two small twins on my current vehicle at 15psi, and you'll notice that beyond that, you begin to drop out of their efficiency range, as you lose more power through heat. With a bigger more efficient single turbo, you can utilize the same 15psi of boost, and generate more power because it runs cooler (the specifics are debatable, but just for the sake of simplicity here ). Throw on an intercooler, and the same level of boost will yield you more power for similar reasons. How you control heat at a given level of boost largely determines the amount of power you'll make.

Even though your compression ratio may not have changed, you may realize that chilly nights are fun.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't expect an engine to benefit less from FI just because it has high compression. I would expect it to just tolerate less boost before grenading from detonation.
Well, the two go hand in hand if you think about it, as boost is still compressed air, being forced into an engine already compressing air. If its an N/A higher compression motor (as it leaves the factory), then it will more than likely benefit less from FI, because you must limit the boost you may safely run. If you're trying to make a good bit of reliable power, then the compression ratio is always an issue.

*The exceptions being if you're cooling the air charge, or can compensate to a point by retarding ignition timing, tuning (A/F ratio), run higher octane fuels or upgrade the fuel system/ECU, etc., but then power is not the only thing sacrificed.
Old 08-21-06, 01:23 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

I WANT ONE!!!! is sc available for is250 6spd? LMS give me sponsorship!!!
Old 08-21-06, 01:46 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I need to reword my question. I didn't mean to imply that I thought high compression engines could run as much boost as a low compression engine. What I meant was that I would expect about as much gain in power (percentage wise) for each pound of boost regardless of compression. For example, if you put 3 PSI of boost on 2 engines that are similar except one has an 11:1 CR and the other has 9:1, I would think both would benefit by about the same percentage. Isn't there a general rule of thumb that would describe that percentage increase per PSI?
Old 08-22-06, 01:02 AM
x986
Rookie

Gernby's post brings up a good point that I have never understood. Our cars are starting with an 11+ CR and can't be pumped up too much without the engine going KABOOM. If the CR is lowered via destroked pistons or (cheaper) thicker head gaskets, and you then increase the boost, can you get more power safely? And if so, why?
Old 08-22-06, 03:49 AM
06LexIS
Driver

Good job for getting the supercharger ball rolling, now the rest of the developers will probably follow suit. Hopefully, Greddy will take the plunge and develop a twin set up for the IS like they did for the G/Z rides.
Give LMS time to dial in/tune this new set up, this happens when a new kit comes to market.
Take the M3 AA supercharger for instance, the software is now on stage III version and it keeps getting better and better with time and R&D. When it first came out it also had it's issues, no offense to anyone but please quit whining.

RT350, keep on trucking...
Old 08-22-06, 04:13 AM
richw350
Rookie

I would hope that said "whiners" would have enough intelligence to identify themselves. I would not be talking about the most whiney post if I were you, because I think you would win between us.
Old 08-22-06, 04:18 AM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
The math isn't so simple when you're quoting basline numbers from your vehicle and supercharged dyno results from rt350's car. Ryan's car has a SIGNIFICANTLY lower baseline than yours does (probably due to the bigger and heavier wheels)
sure there are differences in #'s base on the dyno-type, but by how much? 10? 15? fine, i'll even let this go for 20whp difference; but guess what, 28+20= 48, ask everyone else in the industry if that # would seem appealing to the consumers as a f/i kit.

an ITB on a honduh can make more power than that on a 4 banger when they took the advantage of high compression... hMmmm... speaking of ITB's... maybe in another thread

anyhow, as for the wheels, for those who spot my 350 @ both HIN LA & Nisei this past weekend know that i run bigger wheels than he does and with the MOST aggresive setup up-to-date for 2IS, i can garantee you that.
Old 08-22-06, 06:35 AM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tony1
No offense to Lms, but I'm not sure how good their super charger can be if they still haven't gotten their exhaust system right yet..
Actually their exhaust problems has been resloved and fixed.

Quick Reply: Supercharger IN!