Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

K&N 69 Series Typhoon intake review (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 07:38 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting and waiting for this intake, ...finally got the "go ahead" from K&N on Tuesday, ...orderd it on Wednesday.

However, i've gotten so used to the lovely sound of the Tanabe, i'm scared to mess with perfection. Also, the bit about the engine cover bothers me.

I guess i'll have to wait and see if I can live with it as soon as it's installed.

Oh, and this is to be my last mod on the Lexus. I have a history of going too far with modding, ...so i've chosen to make the intake the final mod and buy another Subaru (4th in 5 yrs) and play with that.

Greg
Old 08-26-06, 08:55 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Javier, did you call them to let them know about the hose clamps? I seriously haven't had the time to call that dude. And yeah, the paired sound with the Tanabe exhuast is awesome. =)
Old 08-26-06, 11:02 PM
ChrisChow
Driver School Candidate

Nice. I like the fact this intake pipe is one diameter all the way to the TB. Now if I can make that air scoop bigger...
Old 08-26-06, 11:15 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by glilly
However, i've gotten so used to the lovely sound of the Tanabe, i'm scared to mess with perfection. Also, the bit about the engine cover bothers me.
If you like the sound of the Tanabe, then you're gonna LOVE it when you put the K&N on. It almost sounds like a V8 when you stand on it...
Originally Posted by glilly
Oh, and this is to be my last mod on the Lexus.
Then you've picked a fine place to stop - your car, my friend, looks FANTASTIC.
Originally Posted by pinoychris
Hey Javier, did you call them to let them know about the hose clamps?
I emailed them all my comments, so they hopefully work out these kinks before they start shipping - although it seems as though they might have already started shipping.

Javier
Old 08-27-06, 08:35 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Thanks Javier, i'm looking forward to it! ...i'll be sure to pick up some replacement T-bolt clamps before install.

Greg
Old 08-28-06, 12:54 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
If you like the sound of the Tanabe, then you're gonna LOVE it when you put the K&N on. It almost sounds like a V8 when you stand on it...
Then you've picked a fine place to stop - your car, my friend, looks FANTASTIC.I emailed them all my comments, so they hopefully work out these kinks before they start shipping - although it seems as though they might have already started shipping.

Javier

Hey Javier, I see you are in L.A. like me, just wondering, has K&N told you of the status on the carb exemption for this intake, i.e. is it just a matter of this being processed or are they not planning on getting a carb sticker for this model of intake?
Old 08-28-06, 01:00 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I haven't heard anything from K&N regarding a CARB sticker for this intake, and I don't expect anything, either. I don't think it's going to be an issue at all, mainly because it's hidden underneath the engine cover. The only way someone would realize that you have an aftermarket intake would be to SHOW them by removing all the covers. Unless you have an intake that necessitates the removal of those covers or it's purple or something, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Javier
Old 08-30-06, 11:23 AM
glilly
Pole Position

got mine in this morning and couldn't wait to install it, ...so I did.

Install took me a bit over an hour, as I didn't want to rush or mess anything up. Directions were pretty straight forward. No need to post pics, as Javier did a wonderful job doing so. My initial impressions are it is louder that I had expected. I was quite used to and happy with the quite-ness of the OEM box and the Tanabe exhaust. Now, the exhaust seems drowned out by the intake (at half to full-open throttle). I'm gonna give it some time and post back in a week or so, ...I also wanna see what the wifey thinks. Again, ...it's only really loud on heavy throttle, ...and we (I), don't always drive like that, so we'll see what a week brings. Also, the fit and finish of the kit is remarkable. K&N's quality realy shines on this one, ...and it's been dynoed at thier R&D facility to make 11.27 hp (chart is on thier website), so you know you got some good hp gains (even more when paired with the exhaust).

Greg

Last edited by glilly; 08-30-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:31 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the intergration of the stock inlet to the k&n heat shield or whatever they want to call that, very clean......

an idea of price? will it be sold in black?
Old 08-30-06, 12:35 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
i like the intergration of the stock inlet to the k&n heat shield or whatever they want to call that, very clean......

an idea of price? will it be sold in black?
No colors available (of course you can have it powdercoated).

Price is $288.xx MSRP (from K&N's site)

I also opted to remove the little orange stickers for a cleaner look.

Greg
Old 08-30-06, 12:43 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

so it wasn't that quiet eh Greg? =/.....

is it driving u nuts?
Old 08-30-06, 01:31 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by imaputz
so it wasn't that quiet eh Greg? =/.....

is it driving u nuts?
It definatley takes away from any kind of stealthiness (is that a word?). I can only think of my wife sitting next to me as I hammer it onto the on ramp of the freeway as she howls, "WTF!". But then again, she doesn't ride in the car that often. It's definately a performance mod, as there is some sacrifice involved. Beggars can't be choosers, ...like I said, i'll post back in few days or so.

Greg
Old 08-30-06, 01:41 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

To me it sounds exactly like stock until you hammer the throttle and you get to about 4000 RPM - then it sounds like you're driving an IS500...

Javier
Old 08-30-06, 02:06 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
To me it sounds exactly like stock until you hammer the throttle and you get to about 4000 RPM - then it sounds like you're driving an IS500...

Javier

...and then some.
Old 08-30-06, 02:38 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Any way i can just buy the heat shield? i have a fujita intake.. works great.. just seems it would be better with the shield

Quick Reply: K&N 69 Series Typhoon intake review (updated)