Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about SRT intake for GS4

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 10:45 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SRT pipe is 4 inches in diameter, I believe the largest out there. Injen i think is 3.5 inches.
Old 08-30-06, 01:36 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SRT intake pipe is 3.5" I believe most others ar 3" or slightly smaller.
Old 08-30-06, 08:18 AM
gs3esq
Driver School Candidate

I have an SRT intake on my GS3. Also XERD headers, Borla exhaust, S-AFC-2, and adjustable CAM gear.

I DEFINITELY have noticed some loss of torque in the low end. Thought it was just me, happy to see your post.

I recently had my car on the dyno and topped out at 196 at the wheels. I can try to post the dyno charts later.
Old 08-30-06, 08:24 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
The SRT intake pipe is 3.5" I believe most others ar 3" or slightly smaller.
Yep...you are correct. Injen is 3" Diameter - SRT is 3.5"
Old 08-30-06, 08:30 AM
gs3esq
Driver School Candidate

I'll second that....SRT is 3.5, just ordered a replacement AEM dry flow filter.
Old 08-30-06, 08:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much more air flow does the Injen or SRT give over stock?
Old 08-30-06, 09:38 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm...this thread makes me thinking of getting rid of my SRT, 'cause I'm more interested in low end torque
Old 08-30-06, 10:37 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I disproved it at the track....real world. Save your money. Put it towards something that will actually make your car faster....like a 3.76 LSD or a torque converter.
Intake pipe diamater isn't going to affect your torque. I'm not calling any names here but some people really need to get a grip on the basics. First of all, there is no possible way to compare a run down the track to another run down the track to base performance expectations. If you make a HUGE increase in power then obviously you can say..yea my car is now a second faster in the quarter but for something as small as an intake, even if it is making 25hp to the wheels it is impossible to base you assumptions that it doesn't make power on fact that on "x" day before the intake install you ran "XX" time, then after the intake install a week later you ran this "XX" time. There are WAY to many variables, such as temperature, humidity, track conditions, air pressure in the tires, gas quality, etc... the list goes on and on. The ONLY way to prove if a part makes power or not is to have the car dynoed BEFORE AND AFTER the product is installed ON THE SAME DYNO WITH NEAR IDENTICAL CONDITIONS. Claiming a part does or doesnt make power by saying that you werent faster at the track then your last run is just ridiculous.

Secondly, a 3.76 gear ratio is not going to do anything to make your car "faster". It will accelerate more quickly becuase of the gearing change but it wil actually make your car slower on the top end (i.e- Top speed) in the quarter mile it will be quicker but it will do nothing to increase the output of the engine as it is strictly a change in gear ratio. A torque convertor will allow the car to leave the line harder and that will make difference in quarter mile as well but still does not change the output of the engine.

When comparing these two things to an intake you are talking about a different ballpark completely. We are comparing a modification designed to increase horsepower. An SRT intake is $449 and will give you around 25hp and 30-40ft/lb tq at the the wheels on a Gs430. I dynoed a car with stock intake and then the Srt intake BACK TO BACK after the intake was installed while the car was on the dyno. The Owner of the car was present to witness that no other changes were made to the car or dyno settings, he is also a member of this board and may speak up if they like. 25hp and 30-40ft/lb tq is a pretty good deal when you consider that either of the other two mods above are $800+ WITHOUT installation.

Granted the intake is not going to take .5s off your quarter time, but it ABSOLUTELY will make a noticeable difference on the highway and around town. It will sound better and will make some power.
Old 08-30-06, 10:48 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
First of all, there is no possible way to compare a run down the track to another run down the track to base performance expectations. If you make a HUGE increase in power then obviously you can say..yea my car is now a second faster in the quarter but for something as small as an intake, even if it is making 25hp to the wheels it is impossible to base you assumptions that it doesn't make power on fact that on "x" day before the intake install you ran "XX" time, then after the intake install a week later you ran this "XX" time. There are WAY to many variables, such as temperature, humidity, track conditions, air pressure in the tires, gas quality, etc... the list goes on and on. The ONLY way to prove if a part makes power or not is to have the car dynoed BEFORE AND AFTER the product is installed ON THE SAME DYNO WITH NEAR IDENTICAL CONDITIONS. Claiming a part does or doesnt make power by saying that you werent faster at the track then your last run is just ridiculous.
this was my point exactly, track conditions are very dynamic. on the dyno even if conditions are a bit different between runs at least you have SAE correction to take care of atmospheric differences.

When comparing these two things to an intake you are talking about a different ballpark completely. We are comparing a modification designed to increase horsepower. An SRT intake is $449 and will give you around 25hp and 30-40ft/lb tq at the the wheels on a Gs430. I dynoed a car with stock intake and then the Srt intake BACK TO BACK after the intake was installed while the car was on the dyno. The Owner of the car was present to witness that no other changes were made to the car or dyno settings, he is also a member of this board and may speak up if they like. 25hp and 30-40ft/lb tq is a pretty good deal when you consider that either of the other two mods above are $800+ WITHOUT installation.
do you happen to have that dyno graph? i would love to see how it compares to the SRT graph. the question that i have yet to see answered is where are the dyno graphs that were supposedly going to disprove the SRT intake gains. they were mentioned several times yet i've never seen them actually posted.
Old 08-30-06, 10:50 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

The fact that they have never been posted in what, over 4 years now? Should be a testimony in itself. If the intake didn't make power and people weren't happy with it then it wouldn't sell like it does and you would have dyno's all over disproving it. I could possibly get the dyno but I would really like the owner of the car to chime in...since it's his.
Old 08-30-06, 10:57 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I here what your saying. I realize that there are a lot of factors when it comes to going down the track but all I can go buy are the facts of my experiences. You are a fan of the SRT and I applaud you. Personally, I don't think its worth the $$$ for what you get. There will always be the people that go strictly by the dyno numbers and some that go by real world, on the track, experiences. It's all good.

Now with the gearing comments you made....I don't know what your experience has been so I won't make any judgements but I have to disagree with the car not going down the track faster. I built up a highly modded 89 GT Mustang a few years back and just by changing out the stock 2.79 gears to 3.55's I dropped 1 full second off the quarter. 15.2 to a 14.2

This was done in very similar conditions with only intake and exhaust on both days at the track. What is your theory on the loss of a second off my times regarding your gearing theory????

AK
Old 08-30-06, 11:03 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think macd7919 point was that the car would be *quicker* but not *faster*. people tend to use those words interchangably when they are not the same.
Old 08-30-06, 11:06 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Quicker...Faster......1 second off my 1/4 mile time I would say is quicker and faster
Old 08-30-06, 11:18 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The SRT is absolutely worth the money. I wouldn't have any other one. The increase in overall performance (the GS4 becomes a tiger on the highway), the improvement in breathing, and the retuning due to the race ECU are excellent. I did not lose noticeable low end torque with the addition of the intake, but lost some with the addition of Blitz exhaust.
Unless you're really being picky, I highly recommend the SRT intake. Most of us agree that it is one of the best mods, assuming you like to hear your engine and don't want complete Lexus peace and quiet.

Jerry
Old 08-30-06, 11:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Intake pipe diamater isn't going to affect your torque. I'm not calling any names here but some people really need to get a grip on the basics. First of all, there is no possible way to compare a run down the track to another run down the track to base performance expectations. If you make a HUGE increase in power then obviously you can say..yea my car is now a second faster in the quarter but for something as small as an intake, even if it is making 25hp to the wheels it is impossible to base you assumptions that it doesn't make power on fact that on "x" day before the intake install you ran "XX" time, then after the intake install a week later you ran this "XX" time. There are WAY to many variables, such as temperature, humidity, track conditions, air pressure in the tires, gas quality, etc... the list goes on and on. The ONLY way to prove if a part makes power or not is to have the car dynoed BEFORE AND AFTER the product is installed ON THE SAME DYNO WITH NEAR IDENTICAL CONDITIONS. Claiming a part does or doesnt make power by saying that you werent faster at the track then your last run is just ridiculous.

Secondly, a 3.76 gear ratio is not going to do anything to make your car "faster". It will accelerate more quickly becuase of the gearing change but it wil actually make your car slower on the top end (i.e- Top speed) in the quarter mile it will be quicker but it will do nothing to increase the output of the engine as it is strictly a change in gear ratio. A torque convertor will allow the car to leave the line harder and that will make difference in quarter mile as well but still does not change the output of the engine.

Granted the intake is not going to take .5s off your quarter time, but it ABSOLUTELY will make a noticeable difference on the highway and around town. It will sound better and will make some power.

Hallelujah

Quick Reply: Questions about SRT intake for GS4