Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about SRT intake for GS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 11:53 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So now for the people who don't have a intake and are running with stock everything, what is the best upgrade to buy for CITY riders. RED LIGHT RACERS!!
1. Torque Converter
2. SRT intake with ECU
3. LSD

thanks
Old 12-05-06, 11:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the torque converter will give you that launch you're been missing all along.

Some people have lost low end power with the SRT so I doubt you'll want to go with that route. LSD will help get traction to the ground, but most people here use the Supra differential because of its 3.76 gear with LSD. This new gear ratio helps acceleration from a dead stop all the way until redline.
Old 12-06-06, 05:02 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nanotech, the answer is 100% the Torque convertor.

I have the headers, TC and Supra 3.76 and I've tested each one at the track for several runs, tracking air condition the entire way. Not to mention, aside from the Lexus, I have a few hundred runs down the quarter mile, recording every run.

That TC will get you about 4-5 tenths in a full quarter mile, and about 2 -2.5 tenths in your 60 foot times. Very noticeable.

The 3.76 doesn't compare when you put a stopwatch to it, vise a seat of the pants evaluation.
Old 12-06-06, 05:57 PM
cardumb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD and traction control

How does the LSD effect traction control?

Thx,

CD
Old 12-06-06, 06:18 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much will a torque converter run about, and how hard is it to install on a GS400, how much time and what is required to do this upgrade. Where can I find this part at a low price! If I can find one at a low price
Old 12-06-06, 06:45 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nanotech
How much will a torque converter run about, and how hard is it to install on a GS400, how much time and what is required to do this upgrade. Where can I find this part at a low price! If I can find one at a low price
You can expect to pay from $475 - $900 new and used will run anywhere from $475 to $700 on CL. There are two companies that I know of PI (Precision Industries - new $900) and Lextreme is $475 but requires you to return your core (old tc) and they give you $175 back once you send them back your old tc. The quality/performance is the same it's just personal preference. I went with the one from Lextreme.

As for the install I have no idea. I do know it's a big job though, you have to drop the tranny. I was told and quoted $600 just for the install. Go with Lextreme: www.lextreme.com .

Last edited by Lexizm; 12-06-06 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 12:41 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

This is a very interesting thread, so I thought I'd kick over this ant hill one more time. After checking out the SRT intake for the GS I was thinking that unless the SRT unit was able to draw a reliable supply of air from outside that the performance gain wouldn't be consistant. Putting the car on a dyno with a giant fan to feed fresh air likely is different than running the car on the street & hwy with the hood closed. I'm an old GTO guy, so I'm thinking why can't someone come out with a true Ram Air setup for the GS? Seems like a filter could be located somewhere in the lower bumper, and the pipe diameter could be dialed in, along with an appropriate ECU upgrade.
Old 07-08-07, 08:53 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys, unless you actually know for sure, throwing out doubts and hypothesis does nothing for others.
I installed the SRT 3 times from the GS4 to the SC430. The thing does work and works well. I have had over 10 runs between myself and another GS4 w/o the unit and each and every time I pulled on him from the dig straight through the gears as well as the highway. When he installed his SRT we were dead even.
Also, you CAN install the SRT incorrectly and NOT get a check engine light. I installed the unit 3 different ways to retrieve different signals for testing (no you will not blow up you motor) and at no time did the check engine light come on but the performance difference was noticed.
I also had a defective ECU on one of the them and again-no check engine light even though SRT said a defective ECU will always set it off. Not true.
Weather conditions will always have a say so in performance but again how many dyno shops have you guys encountered with air conditioned shops? Shops are always hotter inside vs the fresh air OUTSIDE. There may be a fan but moving down the highway is going to get you fresher and colder air than a dyno room and a fan will. If you have not had a car on a dyno-again-your posting from no knowledge whatsoever.
Old 07-08-07, 01:49 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Pearlpower, I'm definately inclined to drink the Kool Aid on this one, given my experience with simply changing to a replacement K&N filter using the stock box. It did wake up the car. All things being equal, a big conical filter and ECU upgrade likely boosts the power. I guess what impresses me about this thread having read it from its start is how much passion there is on both sides of the question.
Old 07-08-07, 02:11 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

On my GS4 I have used a the SRT (most power), Weapon R (poor quality but has since been revamped), generic Ebay unit (worked like the other non-SRT units), and K&N (ok but not great.). I have heard from others that the unit from RMM loses some power throughout the range but I cannot say as I have not used that unit. Almost all intakes will cause a loss at the low end with gains up top so one has to weight the cons and pros of this towards their driving style.

On the issue with headers, one will lose low end even further with the available header system on the market but the mid range and top end more than makes up for this loss-dyno proven a while back on my SC.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-08-07 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 02:51 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
On my GS4 I have used a the SRT (most power), Weapon R (poor quality but has since been revamped), generic Ebay unit (worked like the other non-SRT units), and K&N (ok but not great.). I have heard from others that the unit from RMM loses some power throughout the range but I cannot say as I have not used that unit. Almost all intakes will cause a loss at the low end with gains up top so one has to weight the cons and pros of this towards their driving style.

On the issue with headers, one will lose low end even further with the available header system on the market but the mid range and top end more than makes up for this loss-dyno proven a while back on my SC.
This is the first report of low end power loss with the S&S headers.

Your dyno shows a LARGE mid range torque gain so when you say low end please define.

On the intakes there is more to the story here. Stock has a helmholz resonator that appears to enhance low speed performance. All aftermarket systems remove this resonator (larg triagular box bolted to driver cam covers)

Peter Scott of Planet Soarer tried a number of different intakes all loosing performance until he created the BFI that gave the best performance.

I suggest that it is the air meter than may be the biggest restriction. The SRT increases the size of the meter therefore reducing its restriction. The ECU is needed to adjust for the changes in the measured flow. The rest of the system may not be a restriction. It would be interesting to test just the SRT meter and ECU mated to a stock system with an optimized air filter housing.
Old 07-08-07, 03:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Actually that large triangular item is claimed to be for air enhancement but actually is for noise reduction(baffle)/air flow enhancement.
Also I ran the SRT ECU with my Injen intake with very poor results-thread on it in the SC area.
Yes the headers are one of the best performance bang for buck out there (if not for install) but the low end seemed to suffer a bit-but only a bit and picks up from there. This coupled with an CAI and a freer flowing exhaust hurt things a bit on the low end but my TC and gears made up for it so I have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-08-07, 04:18 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Pearlpower, how did you know you had a defective SRT ecu? I am wondering because on my vehicle there is this misfire at a certain rpm. Could mine be defective? I called them and they didn't know what i was talking about.
Thanks in advance for the reply.
Old 07-08-07, 05:02 PM
cardumb
Driver School Candidate

OK all you SRT guys. More power requires more fuel. How did your milage compare pre and post SRT?
Old 07-08-07, 07:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lxgs4
hey Pearlpower, how did you know you had a defective SRT ecu? I am wondering because on my vehicle there is this misfire at a certain rpm. Could mine be defective? I called them and they didn't know what i was talking about.
Thanks in advance for the reply.
It is rare to get a failure and not an engine light. I have only heard of two including mine. My symptom was no additional power but the car still idles fine. Mine also could have just been programmed incorrectly or for another tune (?). I swapped it out with another one and it worked fine. From what I understand SRT does not sell them separately.

On the MPG, I would say around 1-2mpg loss, but....one tends to step on the gas more resulting in further loss. It gets addicting but the SRT is also very loud.

Quick Reply: Questions about SRT intake for GS4