Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2K GS 300 with Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 10:37 AM
Timmyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2K GS 300 with Tranny Problems

Newbie with tranny problem...I recently purchased a 2K GS300 with 67K miles from Cerritos Lexus. I am the second owner (verified by Carfax). Dealer gave me a 60 day warranty with vehicle. After owning the car for 65 days, CEL comes on indicating # 2 solenoid failed in tranny. (Sorry, I'll get the exact code number later today). Anyway, Lexus Cerritos said "so sad, too bad, tough luck, you're stuck". However, for $550 dollars, we'll troubleshoot the problem. Needless to say, I stormed out of the dealership, and went to my mechanic, near me. He sends me to a local tranny facility (not AAMCO). This place has had the car for a week: replaced one solenoid, and same CEL has come on, and it can't even be cleared. Is ordering another solenoid, and should be in within a week. At my wits end and hoping someone can shed light on the situation. Should I stay with the tranny place and let them keep experimenting, or crawl back to the dealer, and take a beating?? BTW, the symptoms of the CEL appear to be tranny never shifts into third gear.

In advance, thanks for the feedback,

T
Old 08-29-06, 11:29 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about your tranny. i would take it back to where you bought it and explain your situation. 5 days after your warranty expires? there's got to be some kind of grace period.

i would also write to lexus headquarters and complaine about the bad service your received.

maybe your mechanic can proove that the tranny was messed up before you bought your car.
Old 08-29-06, 11:55 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

usually a dealer will do a goodwill repair if it near when your warranty runs out.

also, what about the factory powertrain warranty? it's 6 years from in service date or 70k miles......
Old 08-29-06, 01:11 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Timmy... first of all, WELCOME TO CL!!! i hope you have money to spend on modding your car

anyway... does the car have LESS THAN 70000 miles on it?? if it does, then this problem should be covered by the POWER TRAIN warranty... if i were you, i would get to the Lexus dealer ASAP and see what they say. let us know how it goes
Old 09-01-06, 07:25 AM
Timmyc
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow-up to 2K GS 300 with Tranny Problems

After much whinning and belly aching, Cerritos Lexus has conceded that the tranny problem should be covered under the drivetrain warranty (duhhh). Unfortunately, I won't get the car back until next week. However, driving a Lexus RX-350 until my GS is ready isn't too bad. Again, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll order a new grille this weekend (RMM or L-Tuned??)

TC
Old 09-01-06, 08:47 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Timmyc
After much whinning and belly aching, Cerritos Lexus has conceded that the tranny problem should be covered under the drivetrain warranty (duhhh). Unfortunately, I won't get the car back until next week. However, driving a Lexus RX-350 until my GS is ready isn't too bad. Again, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll order a new grille this weekend (RMM or L-Tuned??)

TC
what kind of trouble were they giving you?? its under 70000 miles and in its 6th year... so what was their problem???
Old 09-01-06, 07:22 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Mental note: Don't buy from Cerrittos, they don't even know their own warranty specs.