Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Factory or Dealer installed dual sport exhaust by HKS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 11:01 AM
Pittdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's all the excitement about HKS for? I doubt it will produce any more gains than the Tanabe. From the limited exhaust dyno's I've seen, it appears the only way to make significant gains from exhaust is by removing the cats and going true dual, a no-no for a lot of us and I doubt Lexus would go that route. But I guess the more options the better.
Old 08-30-06, 01:36 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The Tanabe exhaust definitely does produce gains some gains. Dynos have been posted, and were tested independently. I am certain that anyone who goes out and does their own test can verify them. At least 7whp shown on the 350 when tested with VDIM ON, and about 4.5-5.0whp on the 250 when properly dynoed with VDIM OFF.

I really don't think many IS owners are going for crazy power in their cars.

One thing I hope they have changed on the 07 models is the weak rubber exhaust hangar bushings that cause the factory exhaust to bounce everywhere while driving.

One thing about Lexus is that they are very different from Toyota Motor Sales in regards to aftermarket parts. This may change in the future, but the past snafu that happened with the L-Tuned line (i believe this was the name of the line) really put a damper on factory available aftermarket, such as HKS or any others being viable.

On a side note, I believe the Tanabe Medalion Touring graces Team Lexus' IS350 pace car and from what I've heard, they've been extremely impressed with it. Hopefully Team Lexus has great success with their campaigns and we see a trickle down effect on performance and performance options.
Old 08-30-06, 04:20 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
One thing I hope they have changed on the 07 models is the weak rubber exhaust hangar bushings that cause the factory exhaust to bounce everywhere while driving.
i noticed that too... i was following a 2is on the fwy once and noticed the exhausts bouncing up n down like crazy! looked kinda embarassing, then immediately thought... crap i hope mine doesn't look like that!
Old 09-01-06, 07:13 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i noticed that too... i was following a 2is on the fwy once and noticed the exhausts bouncing up n down like crazy! looked kinda embarassing, then immediately thought... crap i hope mine doesn't look like that!

So far every IS250 / IS350 that I have seen on the street or freeway has a bouncing stock exhaust...

Its funny as just yesterday I was paying close attention to one and it seems as the suspension travels via the uneven payment or bumps, etc... the exhaust is moving / bouncing at the same exact time...

Are any of the exhaust hangers attached to the subframe or anything that connects to the rear suspension general area????

Joe Z
Old 09-01-06, 10:04 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

some videos of people who put have HKS exhaust on their is350s. i think they installed it with custom pipes.

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

i love that deep tone of the white one, but dont like how the tips are sticking out.. looks bad.
Old 09-01-06, 10:29 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vApor21
some videos of people who put have HKS exhaust on their is350s. i think they installed it with custom pipes.

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

i love that deep tone of the white one, but dont like how the tips are sticking out.. looks bad.
THE HKS Carbon exhaust sounds great, but yeah the look/install isn't that good.
Old 09-20-06, 07:50 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Canned.

It was planned but was not approved for the States. It will not be available in the U.S. It needs to be modified to pass current environmental laws and orders.

Sorry for the bad news...
I ordered my 350 w/the HKS option. The car came in Feb without the exhaust, of course. Every-so-often, I'd ask about the HKS option when at the dealer. Just last week, I received a call from their parts department. I missed the call, the message was:

"We've received an availability time-frame of 3 weeks for the HKS exhaust option. Just wanted to see if you're still interested before I pull-the-trigger and order it for you; considering the price and all. Let me know, this is TK"

Of course I called back to make sure the guy wasn't nuts (since I, too, thought this option had been cancelled). But I was assured that he'd made no mistake, the HKS is supposed to be available to dealers in about 3 weeks (two weeks now).

--nick
Old 09-20-06, 07:59 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the price?
Old 09-20-06, 08:16 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 2007 2IS booklet and in it they have 2 pictures that show the IS with the HKS exhaust installed. Maybe Lexus will release it after all
Old 09-21-06, 06:40 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Is the HKS exhaust a true full exhaust or just catback?

And anyway to see those photos from the brochure? Are they on the Lexus website at all? Too far to drive to my local dealer to pick one up.
Old 09-21-06, 06:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tanabe is resonator back, there are no flanges after the cat to bolt on to have a true cat back, the only flanges are after the resonator, hence a small gain, if there were flanges after the cats you could go with true dual, and replace the stock resonator, to have bigger gains. Resonator back for the IS is the only real bolt on without removing cats

bouncing exhaust dampens car vibrations, wouldnt want this vibration to go to the chassis instead

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-21-06 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 06:58 AM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
What is the price?
Parts rep told me $1,470.80 + tax and labor (if they install).

If you can get them to sell at their "net" price, you could get it for around $1,206.06 (the price they'd sell it to me for should I decide on it over LMS).

I'm almost positive that I'd get LMS first (makes more power). Problem there is that I don't like the style of canister. I'd get LMS and then replace the canisters with something like the following:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=791

I'll end up paying more than for the HKS system, but I really want the "claimed" power increase. I'd be HIGHLY disappointed if I end up making only 5-9 more rwhp from the system claiming 20+ rwhp (if I've interpreted correctly)!

--Nick
Old 09-21-06, 07:05 AM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by CoasterG
Is the HKS exhaust a true full exhaust or just catback?
What 4TehNguyen said about the tanabe

HKS system is more than axle-back, but not cat-back in the typical sense. IS CAT assembly includes the resonators after the cat. So any system that's not a full exhaust (replacing the oem cats) AND not an axle-back in the IS case could be called a res-back ?

Anyway, it equates to what's typically known as a cat-back exhaust system. The problem with the HKS is that it's not a true-dual exhaust (neither is the oem). The LMS is full/true-dual exhaust which "should" yield more power. Downside of LMS (to me) is the N1 canister look. I like N1 on my Supra, not on my IS.

--nick
Old 09-21-06, 07:45 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

greddy = trust
Old 09-21-06, 08:22 AM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
greddy = trust
Does Greddy have an exhaust system for the IS350?

--nick

Quick Reply: Factory or Dealer installed dual sport exhaust by HKS?