Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 09:43 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think there may be two of us. I, too, have an exhaust leak. I tried to use a boroscope today to get a look at the header installed ( mainly looking at the area BA found the crack ) and while I don't consider it conclusive I believe I have a similar problem. I'll have to get a better look this weekend, as this is my daily driver. I've already spoken to Loren about this and I'm sure we will be taken care of. I'll keep everyone posted.

Oh, I was #19 on the initial buy.
Old 09-14-06, 10:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeLex
Well, I think there may be two of us. I, too, have an exhaust leak. I tried to use a boroscope today to get a look at the header installed ( mainly looking at the area BA found the crack ) and while I don't consider it conclusive I believe I have a similar problem. I'll have to get a better look this weekend, as this is my daily driver. I've already spoken to Loren about this and I'm sure we will be taken care of. I'll keep everyone posted.

Oh, I was #19 on the initial buy.
Sorry to hear this.
Please keep us posted as I was kinda looking forward to doing this mod early next year.....
Old 09-14-06, 10:51 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

These are coated both inside and out, correct?

Since it happened during a race day, i'd say that the weld failed because of heavy thermal cycling occuring in between runs. There may be some pre-existing stress on that particular runner causing the heat to excacerbate an issue that may not be readily apparent on cars that are driven mildly.

If TeeLex experienced problems with that same runner, the design will definitely need to be checked or reinforced.

edit: How are the condition of your motormounts?

Last edited by MikeFD3S; 09-14-06 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-14-06, 12:41 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
These are coated both inside and out, correct?

Since it happened during a race day, i'd say that the weld failed because of heavy thermal cycling occuring in between runs. There may be some pre-existing stress on that particular runner causing the heat to excacerbate an issue that may not be readily apparent on cars that are driven mildly.

If TeeLex experienced problems with that same runner, the design will definitely need to be checked or reinforced.

Well said. I agree with each point.

Old 09-14-06, 12:45 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
That is definitely an unusual failure and is not what I expected from the construction and the initial report. I left a voice mail for Loren at S&S requesting a return call and of course hope that this is an isolated occurance.

I can say that every effort was made to create a strong reliable header. Anyone who has seen one of these 1st hand can attest that the materials and design look very strong. There has been some worries about the way the primary pipes are welded to the head flange but this is a common and proven header construction procedure. The person that had their headers re-welded prior to installation (can't remember who off the top of my head) actually was concerned about the catalyst flange on the redesigned header. This flange was originally welded 360 degrees on the outside but thanks to BA the design was changed for catalyst insert lip clearance. With this change the same joint is now welded 360 degrees on the inside.

BA, I feel for you. You have made a big contribution in this header journey and it just doesn't seem fair for you to be the one. Thanks for all you have done.

Thanks for the kind words John. I do appreciate it.

I agree that these are strong, nicely welded headers. Nine months and mine still look great, and it's my daily driver here in Salty/Snowy/Rainy Ohio.

TEELEX - dude, it's cool that you have a boroscope! I hate to hear that you may the same issue though. Major bummer!

Check out the next post!
Old 09-14-06, 12:46 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

So, with no time to dilly dally around, I took my header to my 'welder guy'. (I love saying that)

Check out this lovin' from Jim Unger Racing, Dayton Ohio....
Attached Thumbnails Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area-dvc00001.jpg  
Old 09-14-06, 12:52 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default The Other Side

more good stuff. Hell, I don't mind keeping this header like this!

Putting the thing back on now because I leave tomorrow morning for a trip to Pigeon Forge TN. (car show)
Attached Thumbnails Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area-dvc00004.jpg  
Old 09-14-06, 01:03 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
more good stuff. Hell, I don't mind keeping this header like this!

Putting the thing back on now because I leave tomorrow morning for a trip to Pigeon Forge TN. (car show)
sweet. I hope it holds up.
Old 09-14-06, 05:35 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

BA,

Is that the passenger side?

Actually I have access to a boroscope at my place of work. It is kinda cool to have some toys available for things like this. I will make sure that I fluorescent penetrant inspect the header for hairline cracks after I un-install -or- if I get a new replacement, that one will get the FPI, too.

Hopefully this is not a design problem - I might be able to talk Loren into letting me do a 'failure analysis' on the header if I confirm cracking this weekend. I will be able to tell if the weld was penetrated properly -or- not.
Old 09-14-06, 05:55 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

It is indeed the passenger side TeeLex. On mine, visually, it did not look like the weld got deep enough between the pipes. I think my 1/4 mile stuff (heat cycling) exacerbated the problem.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 09-14-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 05:57 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

PS. MY DARN VSC. CEL and TRACTION lights are on! ding dangit.
I took out the ECU-b fuse for about 45 minutes but that didn't help.
Old 09-14-06, 06:59 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Well after a closer look with good lighting and a small mirror one things for sure - I don't have any big cracks. I have one small indication that I'm not sure if its real or not. In any case I do not have large cracks like BA. In fact the headers look pretty much like the day I installed them. Looks like I'll be checking out the cat to custom mid-pipe flanges for the suspected leak. So before I go any further with the header, I'm gonna make sure it's not the cat to mid-pipe flange 'seal' this weekend.

I hope the repair works out for you BA, cause we both know it's not a lot of fun changing headers on GS4 cars.
Old 09-14-06, 08:22 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

WHEW! Got those pesky lights to go away after disconnecting the + battery cable for about an hour. Wow am I relieved! I didn't want to pay the Lexus stealership to give me a code and charge me for it. (which they would)

Road trip is ON!

Oh yeah, the exhaust leak is gone of course.
Old 09-14-06, 10:13 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice repair BA! It looks like you are darn quick with the R&R. How long did it take not having to mess with the heat shields? I had a long conversation with Loren today and he was VERY interested in getting this resolved. He said he shipped out a header to someone today... TeeLex? He will be reviewing BA's repair and may incorporate additional welding or bracing depending on outcome. He said he just ordered flanges for 20 more sets.

BTW, TeeLex, I am impressed by your resources. I look forward to your input. Hopefully yours will just be a gasket issue.

I also agree, those headers look pretty darn good for the wear.
Old 09-14-06, 10:28 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jbrady,
Do you know off hand how many orders were in the 1st batch 30?
Do you know how many they have sold?? Just curious

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area