Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 05:02 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks JB.

Taking things apart was done in spare time. I couldn't remember what all needed removed, and in what order. I probably spent 3 or 4 hrs getting it out.

It went back together in 2hrs though. That's from complete passenger side disassembly to fully assembled and of the jacks, ready to drive.
Old 09-15-06, 12:16 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Jbrady,
Do you know off hand how many orders were in the 1st batch 30?
Do you know how many they have sold?? Just curious
Yes, first run was 30. A second run of 20 was made and there is an order that Loren just placed for the flanges for at least 20 more. Unless I missed a production run
Old 09-15-06, 12:19 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Thanks JB.

Taking things apart was done in spare time. I couldn't remember what all needed removed, and in what order. I probably spent 3 or 4 hrs getting it out.

It went back together in 2hrs though. That's from complete passenger side disassembly to fully assembled and of the jacks, ready to drive.
Sounds like R&R is much quicker once the original manifolds and heat shields are not an issue. My guess is if someone needed to they could re-install the stock manifold while any repairs are completed. Not ideal but better than the original effort and much better than a non-bolt in header would be.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-18-06, 10:57 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Well guys, I took my weekend trip down to Pigeon Forge this weekend and all went well.

There's probably 12 hrs of driving at 80-90mph (2800rpm - 3200rpm) and 8 drag-strip passes. (1/8th mile)
I did 3 passes back to back........let her cool for a hour, then did another 3 passes back to back, then let her cool down again,...then did another two back to back.

No issues with the new welding so far. Time will tell!

Old 09-20-06, 06:21 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BA, glad to hear the weld repair is holding up.

For me it appears that I do, in fact, have a crack in the passenger side header collector weldment. It's not a big crack like yours, but it probably will propagate ( grow ) with time and cycles. I'll be talking to Loren at S&S tomorrow to get a replacement passenger side header. Oh boy, more fun taking out the cracked header and installing the new one. Well at least I've been there, done that before, so like you it should go somewhat quicker.
Old 09-20-06, 07:25 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Not trying to be skeptical, but, you saw my pics, and we both know that I didn't do anything to "force" the crack to appear, but I'd bet a months pay that (as you said) your crack will just grow over time, especially as the header has intense heat cycles and engine torquing.
That's a bummer to hear. You know I feel your pain bro.

Do yourself a favor and don't install a replacement that hasn't been rewelded in some fashion or else you know it will just come back.

Good luck man.
Old 09-21-06, 10:14 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I'm sure it will grow, too. I'm waiting to talk to Loren and I will see about getting that area reinforced. I'll probably use your pics for examples. It will be worth it to wait a few more days and get this done right so I don't have to un-install/re-install again

Hard to hear my normally great sounding V8 'burble' along with the header leak. At least when I have the windows up and the AC on I don't really hear it, so that makes it bearable, but still embarrasing.
Old 09-26-06, 04:59 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

wow....you guys have me worried now as I was in the first batch also. How will I know if I get a leak?
Old 09-27-06, 12:40 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slowdiver
wow....you guys have me worried now as I was in the first batch also. How will I know if I get a leak?
You'll hear it - at least with the windows down and something ( like a curb/wall/etc ) for the sound to reflect off of. Here's hoping you won't have the problem.
Old 09-27-06, 08:14 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TeeLex
You'll hear it - at least with the windows down and something ( like a curb/wall/etc ) for the sound to reflect off of. Here's hoping you won't have the problem.

Exactly!

Old 09-28-06, 09:12 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Well Loren sent me a replacement passenger side header ( received today ) and it appears that this one does have more weld between the front two runners - not as much as BA's repair, but certainly more than what BA's or my original header had. Now I get to have all that fun again, taking out the cracked header and installing the new one - at least it's the passenger side ( the easier of the two sides ).

Now I'm just trying to decide if I will do it tonight -or- wait until Saturday. Probably Saturday.
Old 09-28-06, 09:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Well Loren sent me a replacement passenger side header ( received today ) and it appears that this one does have more weld between the front two runners - not as much as BA's repair, but certainly more than what BA's or my original header had. Now I get to have all that fun again, taking out the cracked header and installing the new one - at least it's the passenger side ( the easier of the two sides ).

Now I'm just trying to decide if I will do it tonight -or- wait until Saturday. Probably Saturday.
I hate you guys! I wish I could do this type of install myself - I would have bought the headers the same time you guys did.

On a side note, glad to hear you got your new header!
Old 09-29-06, 10:35 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Well, I decided not to wait - did the install last night ( a late night! ).
Now I remember what a PITA the job is doing it on jackstands in the garage.

The passenger side header had two cracks in the same area that BA's passenger side did. One was very small and relatively tight and the other was in between the runners. It appears that lack of penetration is a primary driver with the cracking. The cracks were very close to each other - I'll post some pics Saturday.

My replacement passenger side header had good penetration and more weld in the area of concern. I also had the header inspected by fluorescent penetrant at my place of work yesterday before installing. No cracks were found

I'm glad to have my nice V8 rumble back without the 'burble' sound of an exhaust leak.

Last edited by TeeLex; 09-29-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-29-06, 10:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Well, I decided not to wait - did the install last night ( a late night! ).
Now I remember what a PIA the job is doing it on jackstands in the garage.

The passenger side header had two cracks in the same area that BA's passenger side did. One was very small and relatively tight and the other was in between the runners. It appears that lack of penetration is a primary driver with the cracking. The cracks were very close to each other - I'll post some pics Saturday.

My replacement passenger side header had good penetration and more weld in the area of concern. I also had the header inspected by fluorescent penetrant at my place of work yesterday before installing. No cracks were found

I'm glad to have my nice V8 rumble back without the 'burble' sound of an exhaust leak.
Thats just awesome news man!

Are you busy next weekend? I want to come by so that you can install mine. I'll treat you to a nice dinner afterwards.
Old 09-29-06, 02:04 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

You slay me Teelex:
"I also had the header inspected by fluorescent penetrant at my place of work yesterday before installing"

and I thought the boroscope was cool, now you come up with this! :-D I'm jealous!

Glad you got it all wrapped up, AND you even got a replacement pipe out of S&S which is more than I can say.

Got any pictures of the pipe that they sent to you?? I was hoping to see their fix!

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area