Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 06:09 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allan,

Ya, it's definitely a benefit to work for a relatively high tech turbine component manufacturing company and I just happen to be the manager of materials engineering and the materials laboratory.

Anyway I was in a hurry and did not snap pics of the replacement header. The difference was that the replacement header did had more weld ( about 1/2 inch up the runners - not as much as your fix, but certainly an improvement from the cracked header ) between the runners where the crack initiated. I'm sending back my cracked header so Loren can check it out and review the issue with his production welders. I would think you could get a replacement header, too, it you speak to Loren ( although I would not want to replace the header without due cause )

I've attached a pic of my cracked header. There are actually two cracks - one from the lack of weld between the runners and another that appears to be a hot tear adjacent to the weld.
Attached Thumbnails Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area-header-crack.jpg  

Last edited by TeeLex; 09-30-06 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-12-06, 12:06 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TeeLex
Well, I decided not to wait - did the install last night ( a late night! ).
Now I remember what a PITA the job is doing it on jackstands in the garage.

The passenger side header had two cracks in the same area that BA's passenger side did. One was very small and relatively tight and the other was in between the runners. It appears that lack of penetration is a primary driver with the cracking. The cracks were very close to each other - I'll post some pics Saturday.

My replacement passenger side header had good penetration and more weld in the area of concern. I also had the header inspected by fluorescent penetrant at my place of work yesterday before installing. No cracks were found

I'm glad to have my nice V8 rumble back without the 'burble' sound of an exhaust leak.

glad to here you are back bro.....thats friggin' awesome!!

so great you did the install yourself....

luckily I am down the road from Dynamic if I need to re-install.....but I haven't heard anything yet...I'm assuming others would have chimed in by now if it has been a wide spread issue.

I will definitely hear it if I get a leak....so far though...these headers are the best mod since the PI TC and LSD/gear change.

I love driving at night when its cold!!!!

I still need to do the custom X-pipe!!!

seriously....I'm glad to hear the rumble is back

Last edited by slowdiver; 10-12-06 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-12-06, 06:51 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Thanks slow, its good to have it all back together again without the leak.

Speaking of x-pipe, I'm sending Loren ( S&S ) my stock mid-pipe so he can set-up on it and make the necessary tooling to do a S&S custom y-pipe. I don't believe it will be an x-pipe set-up, but should definitely be a better flowing y-pipe arrangement. I'll keep CL in the loop.
Old 10-12-06, 03:31 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks slow, its good to have it all back together again without the leak.

Speaking of x-pipe, I'm sending Loren ( S&S ) my stock mid-pipe so he can set-up on it and make the necessary tooling to do a S&S custom y-pipe. I don't believe it will be an x-pipe set-up, but should definitely be a better flowing y-pipe arrangement. I'll keep CL in the loop.

Schweet...too bad it won't be a custom x-pipe that would be awesome, best keep us in the loop on that Y-pipe.
Old 11-07-06, 01:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Did Loren ever get back to either one of you guys on what they will be doing to future runs to address this weakness?

Have they conclusively determined what failed and what steps they will take in the future to prevent such occurrences?

I want to buy these headers next year and unless this issue is addressed, I am hesitant to go ahead.

And to quote my good friend Glen:
This is not only automotive knowledge, but manufacturing processes, failure analysis, corrective action and quality monitoring as a follow up

Last edited by Hameed; 11-07-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 01:49 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Did Loren ever get back to either one of you guys on what they will be doing to future runs to address this weakness?

Have they conclusively determined what failed and what steps they will take in the future to prevent such occurrence
Loren has received my cracked header and was planning on going over the problem with his welders. I offered to do a failure analysis, but Loren was sure that the problem could be solved with better attention to the weld in question.

So far I have not had any problems with my replacement header and it did have more weld in the area of concern. It appears that some of the first headers ( certainly mine and BA/s ) did not have sufficient weld penetration between the two rear runners. Also both cracked headers were passenger side headers ( no problems with the drivers side yet ). I believe that S&S can and has produced headers that will not have the cracking issue that BA and myself encountered.
Old 11-07-06, 02:02 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loren has received my cracked header and was planning on going over the problem with his welders. I offered to do a failure analysis, but Loren was sure that the problem could be solved with better attention to the weld in question.

So far I have not had any problems with my replacement header and it did have more weld in the area of concern. It appears that some of the first headers ( certainly mine and BA/s ) did not have sufficient weld penetration between the two rear runners. Also both cracked headers were passenger side headers ( no problems with the drivers side yet ). I believe that S&S can and has produced headers that will not have the cracking issue that BA and myself encountered.

Good to know they are addressing it.

So at what point in time did they discover this weld issue ? When did they make the correction? If they corrected it, do they know how many shipped out before it was discovered?

Early buyers would certaintly like to know if they have a potential problem.

Not expecting you to find this all out, just asking what you may already know.

Hameed or I can follow up with S&S directly if needed.
Old 11-08-06, 04:17 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it is worth, I was not able to ship my header to S&S, I needed it fixed within a day or two. Honestly, being the first one to have it happen, I kinda feel like they didn't believe it was a manufacturing problem.

Now that they have two instances though, with pictures, etc. of both cracks, I have no doubt they will honor any failures that occur. They seem to be good stand-up people.
Old 11-24-06, 01:36 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Thanks again guys for discussing this issue.

I will let you know if I have any problems.
Old 03-19-07, 05:12 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

It's sad but I have a new crack in a new location on the same header again.
It's hard to get a picture of, this is the best I could do today.
Attached Thumbnails Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area-dscf1101.jpg  
Old 03-19-07, 05:12 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a close up on the crack area, and you can kind of see the black area where exhaust was seeping out. It's just a bit beyond the weld.
Attached Thumbnails Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area-dscf1099.jpg  

Last edited by BA_GS400; 03-19-07 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 07:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

This is not good news..........

I placed my order for the "new and improved" version on Thursday last week and I am concerned that it may not be "improved" enough after seeing yours.

Loren did say that the down pipe is a thicker gauge of steel now, so hopefully this problem will not happen again on the new headers.
Old 03-21-07, 09:10 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

sorry to here the bad news bro...

looks like I'll be in the same boat at some point in the future as my new weld stops at the exact same spot your new crack is.

It is definitely time for S&S to publicly address this issue and in the meantime stop selling headers for our cars.

Last edited by slowdiver; 03-21-07 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 01:05 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm wondering if anyone has considered adding flex joints to thier exhaust,and possibly more brackets/bracing,i have these headers and i honestly beleive this will eliminate the problem
Old 03-22-07, 08:11 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
It's sad but I have a new crack in a new location on the same header again.
BA, man... sorry to see your problem continues.

As you know welding heats the steel around the weld very hot and changes the metal properties creating slightly more brittle metal. This is why cracks near welds are so common on ANY welded application under stress.

Have you spoken with S&S yet?

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh.......Exhaust leak in header area