Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alex350 Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 12:05 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Alex350 Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust review

***NOTE*** This review is included in my Tein CS review thread. I changed the title so that it would reflect that I had added this information, but you can only see it when you open the thread. So for the benefit of those who hadn't read it, here it is!!!

I know there's a couple of Tanabe Medallion Touring reviews out there, but here's mine

The Tanabe exhaust is for people who want the car to look aesthetically better and have a bit of exhaust sound. The exhaust has a high quality build, and a nice polished finish. Tanabe's round exhaust tips fill in the bumper exhaust opening better than the OEM ones whether you have the OEM body kit or not. For those with the body kit, the exhaust tips will be somewhat flushed and will not stick out as much as the OEM exhaust tips do... there's nothing wrong with that as it still looks good, but I wish Tanabe built a version with longer exhaust tips for those of us with the body kit.

In terms of sound, the Tanabe didn't dissapoint me, but I was expecting a bit more of sound. When you start the engine, you can notice the difference of the exhaust sound for a quick second and then it goes silent. When you accelerate, you can hear the exhaust hum, but it's nothing ricey or extremely loud. Just so you get an idea, the OEM exhaust is at approximately 89db; according to Tanabe's website, this exhaust is at 93db, so as you can see, it's just a tad bit louder. While driving, you can hear a slight hum from the exhaust, but it's nothing that will disturb a conversation with someone or whatever tunes your listening to. Tanabe definitely fulfills their promise of providing a high-quality build, quiet exhaust which looks good and provides a nice, distinctive sound for those looking for something different. I definitely recommend this exhaust!! Tanabe gets an A+++ from me. STAY AWAY from buying this exhaust if you want something loud or even G-35ish, as this exhaust is very quiet and will dissapoint those of you looking for that type of sound.
The following users liked this post:
tejapeni (07-06-17)
Old 09-10-06, 10:45 AM
SILes300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, you've answered about 5 questions for me in your review.
Old 09-10-06, 10:49 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SILes300
Thanks, you've answered about 5 questions for me in your review.
You're welcome SILes300, when I write these reviews, I do it thinking what I would like to see if I was someone considering buying the product.
Old 09-11-06, 02:52 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

So you're saying the exhaust is quieter then a G35/350Z?
Old 09-11-06, 02:57 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

wow im surprised too.. i was somewhat lookinf for g35 ish...
i drove a g35 and it's suprisingly quiet in the cabin... dats what i want...
that kind of hum.. with no noise in the cabin.
Old 09-11-06, 04:32 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by teejnut
So you're saying the exhaust is quieter then a G35/350Z?
Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
wow im surprised too.. i was somewhat lookinf for g35 ish...
i drove a g35 and it's suprisingly quiet in the cabin... dats what i want...
that kind of hum.. with no noise in the cabin.
Yes, and that's what I thought it was going to be, but it's not. However, it does sound really nice , it's just quieter than the exhaust of a 350Z/G35. If you guys want something louder, I would recommend you look into the Borla/HKS exhausts when those companies release them.
Old 09-11-06, 04:53 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot to mention HP gains in my review

The Tanabe adds a couple of ponies to the car, but they're most noticeable at higher speeds. At lower speeds it seems like the Tanabe restricts or holds the acceleration of the car a bit (when the car had the OEM exhaust you didn't feel this restriction). Once the speed increases, you can feel the added ponies that the Tanabe provides and it's just sweet!!! Despite of what I just mentioned, I don't think that it should detract people from getting the Tanabe exhaust as it gets the job done!!!
Old 09-11-06, 05:21 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Excellent review!

One thing I want to add, is that the Medalion Touring is very unique in that it doesn't use conventional fiberglass packing in the muffler. The material has different properties from regular fiberglass, which is why it is touted as both quiet and high performance.

Most importantly, is that it takes a good month for the exhaust note to fully mature, as the advantex material inside sets. You should notice within in a week or so that the sound will begin to deepen! I think pocky has had his for a month, I'll shoot him a PM.
Old 09-11-06, 10:55 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Excellent review!

One thing I want to add, is that the Medalion Touring is very unique in that it doesn't use conventional fiberglass packing in the muffler. The material has different properties from regular fiberglass, which is why it is touted as both quiet and high performance.

Most importantly, is that it takes a good month for the exhaust note to fully mature, as the advantex material inside sets. You should notice within in a week or so that the sound will begin to deepen! I think pocky has had his for a month, I'll shoot him a PM.
Really Mike? So you were withholding this "top secret" info from the Tanabe? Bad, bad, bad!!! Just kidding!! That sounds good to me!!! So the exhaust gets better with time then. Me likey Tanabe exhaust even more!!!
Old 09-12-06, 04:40 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

We will be adding that information to the website shortly
Old 09-12-06, 05:38 PM
gassman
Pole Position

Great to know. I just got an e-mail stating they are on a minimum 3-4 weeks back order
Old 09-12-06, 06:04 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Tanabe for making such an awesome product!!! I just LOVE this exhaust!!!
Old 09-12-06, 06:22 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alex350
Thanks Tanabe for making such an awesome product!!! I just LOVE this exhaust!!!
I agree, and with the JoeZ Intake and a drop in filter the sound of the "entire package" is great!

Aloha,
Larry
Old 09-12-06, 08:57 PM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Excellent review!

no wonder the exhaust sounded deeper after about a month. the first few days, i could barely tell i have an after market exhaust. now, it's just right!
Old 09-18-06, 01:54 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent review!

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to add to my review that the exhaust note has gotten deeper like MikeFD3S stated above

The exhaust sounds the same, but a little more "bass" to it. It sounds just perfect for this car!!!

Quick Reply: Alex350 Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust review