Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AFC and a wideband

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 08:21 PM
Carguy34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which wideband to get is all up to you. It really doesn't matter. Both the Innovate and the AEM use the Bosch LSU sensor, so they SHOULD have exactly the same accuracy. It's just a matter of what display you want. If you want a handheld unit that you plug in, use, then take out, then get the Innovate LM1, if you want a permanent 2 1/16" gauge, than get the AEM or LC1. The LC1 has more capabilities and I preferred the display so I got that one. You will still want to have a wideband with a standalone system. I'm guessing that you probably don't have a need for a standalone at this point. With the stock turbos, you are probably fine with the stock computer. Maybe if you are running crazy high boost pressure (I wouldn't recommend it) or running a single would it be necessary.

As far as spark control, I am a little nervous about just letting the computer pull timing. I'm not a big fan because the way it knows to pull timing is by sensing knock (correct me if I'm wrong) so in order to pull timing, you have to be having a problem (albeit, probably minor) in order for 'correction' to be necessary. That is a bit of a different discussion though.
Old 09-21-06, 08:41 PM
fstrnldr
Driver

Originally Posted by Carguy34
As far as spark control, I am a little nervous about just letting the computer pull timing. I'm not a big fan because the way it knows to pull timing is by sensing knock (correct me if I'm wrong) so in order to pull timing, you have to be having a problem (albeit, probably minor) in order for 'correction' to be necessary. That is a bit of a different discussion though.

You are right thats exactly how it knows to pull timing is by sensing knock. The factory knock sensor is there as a safey device (bad gas, too low of octane etc) NOT as a way to tune. If he is running a JDM ECU its allready going to be close to the knock threshold since it will be tuned for higher ocatane gas that we get in the states. The other problem is that when it does sense knock, it doesn't back the advance out gently, it will pull quite a bit out all at once, and slowly add it back in. The retarded timing will cause higher EGT's, maybe not too high, but thats your risk to take.
Old 09-21-06, 09:12 PM
El Captain
Lead Lap

The Motor is a VVTI engine and it is a Single turbo! The only other thing i wanted t do was to put a bigger top mounted turbo! But then do i need to do like bigger intake manifold and fule rail and injectors? I guess thats a whole nother thread, But i would like to know how and what i need!Also i am not trying to get carried away this is my daily driver that i use every day and take it on trips all the time! My first concern was that my motor is tuned and running at its peak performance and getting the power and MPG that it should! And i just got my HKS goodies in and installed! My boost settings when i got the car was at 15psi max setting so now i run a 12psi and 15 for my other setting! But now thats its been like a max 85 degree weather 15 all the time! Nothing but premium pump gas!
Attached Thumbnails AFC and a wideband-abc-20008.jpg  
Old 09-22-06, 12:29 AM
fstrnldr
Driver

Do you want to upgrade the turbo for more power, or simply for the cool look of a bigger turbo under the hood?
Old 09-22-06, 05:35 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
You are right thats exactly how it knows to pull timing is by sensing knock. The factory knock sensor is there as a safey device (bad gas, too low of octane etc) NOT as a way to tune. If he is running a JDM ECU its allready going to be close to the knock threshold since it will be tuned for higher ocatane gas that we get in the states. The other problem is that when it does sense knock, it doesn't back the advance out gently, it will pull quite a bit out all at once, and slowly add it back in. The retarded timing will cause higher EGT's, maybe not too high, but thats your risk to take.
Thanks guys, you have a point that I really hadnt considered. I appreciate the information.
Old 09-22-06, 09:42 AM
El Captain
Lead Lap

Mostly for the Power and to look SEXY
Old 09-23-06, 09:56 AM
fstrnldr
Driver

werll from my expeience the best upgrade you can do to a toyota is the ability to fully tune it. You would be amazed at the amount of power you can get just be retuning things. I mean my IS300 w/ just the emanage ultimate ran a 14.7 @ 94mph. Thats .5-1 sec faster than most people were running stock. and thats an NA car! It won't give you that sexy look under the hood, but it will make sure when you get that massive polished turbo installed that you can tune it 100% as well.
Old 09-23-06, 07:13 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Just put in the innovate and it is very accurate. Looks nice too. I spliced in to my ashtray since I don't smoke.
Old 09-24-06, 10:04 PM
El Captain
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. So I am going with the The Innovate “Standalone Gauge Kit” !And Know i just have to find a shop In Las VEGAS,NV To Dyno tune it for me!
Old 10-04-06, 11:17 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All this talk of timing is great but I think people are looking past the fact he is running a vvti motor. You are not going to be able to retain variable timing control on a vvti motor with a standalone ecu. There is a controller out there (similar to an afc) with vvti control to adjust timing BUT it is not going to function as you are talking as a safety under high boost. If you want that, you need a standalone, if you go standalone you are losing vvti.
Old 10-05-06, 04:01 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

There may be a bit of confusion here

We have thus far been talking about ignition timing. VVTI controls valve timing. These are two separate issues.

And you can go standalone and maintain VVTI the IS guys do it all the time.
Old 10-05-06, 08:01 AM
fstrnldr
Driver

if you go "stand alone" the stock ECU needs to be retained anyway for some of the other functions of the car, so you can leave that to control the VVTi or use a PWM output of the stand alone to control the VVTi solenoids duty cycle.
Old 10-05-06, 08:14 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

whats pwm?
Old 10-05-06, 10:24 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, late night, lol...pwm - pulse width
Old 10-09-06, 10:40 AM
El Captain
Lead Lap

Im not getting a standalone computer the inavate kit is called a stand alone wide band kit! http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...ge=1:rolleyes:
I dont think i can get a standalone because of the wiring on my car! This is the same car out of the Sport compact car magazine they did the engine swap in! And the ECU is a chaser but they had to splice some lexus harness to get all the bells and wistles back to working!

Quick Reply: AFC and a wideband