Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help!!! Starter Problems??!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 09:50 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Starter Problems??!!

The mighty have fallen I think i may jinxed my 2GS since it NEVER gave me a problem and its a '99 (bought in "02) with 110,000 miles on it.

Few week back whenever i started the car and turned the key, i would hear a CLICK...that's it! I turn it again and again a CLICK! Then eventually itwould start. This has been happening on and off (no pun intended) for the last 2 weeks but then this morning was a little diffeent. I'l try to explain it as best as i can.

I get in the car and turn the key and i get the usual CLICK..i was like no problem, its probably the starter and I am already getting quotes to get it replaced, but then i hear this odd engine noise like its trying to start up but does not have enough power and then i hear odd belt and engine noises. quickly i turn the car off and STILL i hear the engine trying to start
I wait a min and try it again and the car starts. I take it around the block and restart it and them same click and a whimpering, almost trying to start and turnover, engine noise. I park the car in the garage and take my 3GS to work.

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to explain everything in detail for the gearheads. So please any Advice, comments and suggestions will be appreciated. I am kinda worried about my daily commuter.
Old 09-28-06, 11:46 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's how the Toyota starter goes bad. The contacts are likely arcing. It's common at about 100K, depending on the usage of course.

I have had success with Toyota supplied remanufactured units.
Old 09-28-06, 12:34 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=starter
Old 09-28-06, 12:34 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

You have one of the three possible problems...

A) Battery is going bad. How long has it been since you replaced it?

B) Starter is going bad. It happens...It doesn't last forever. A easy few hundred to get it fixed from the dealer...

C) Lets hope its not this, but your alternator could be going bad. I highly doubt this as its usually the first two problems.

A lot of people have this problem...I myself had this problem about a month ago.
Turned about to be my battery. I bought a new one from walmart, problem went away.

If you do some searching on the forums, you'll be able to find an abundant amount of threads regarding this issue.

You can go to your local autozone or pepboys and have them do a battery test. They'll be able to tell you if its still good or not.

Good Luck
Old 09-28-06, 05:18 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

I heard the EXACT same noises and problems with my GS about a month ago. My boy said it was my starter so I took it to Lexus and they said it was my battery. Replaced my car battery and everything was all good, had the charging system checked A OK.
Old 09-28-06, 07:00 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definatly a starter.I had the pleasure of doing mine at 110K.

Last edited by bigL; 09-28-06 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-29-06, 08:45 AM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

just changed mine at the dealer 1g
Old 09-29-06, 11:56 AM
fisher_price
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lyrical
You have one of the three possible problems...

A) Battery is going bad. How long has it been since you replaced it?

B) Starter is going bad. It happens...It doesn't last forever. A easy few hundred to get it fixed from the dealer...

C) Lets hope its not this, but your alternator could be going bad. I highly doubt this as its usually the first two problems.
...I'd add

D) Starter relay ,

since I had identical symptoms, changed the starter, and still had the problem-- then changed the starter relay and it was all cured.

f_p
Old 09-29-06, 12:43 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHYRICH
just changed mine at the dealer 1g
$1,000 (I had to type it out) at the dealer to change your starter?

Wasnt there a $15 'fix the solenoid' solution mentioned not too long ago?

Found it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...15%2C+solenoid
Old 09-29-06, 06:56 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

yep its your starter...1000.00 seems about right.. mine had 157,000 miles on it when i went...so i think it wa about its time.

CEO
Old 09-30-06, 09:56 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

I am freakin pissed!!

First of all thank you so much to all CL folks for giving me good advice. Appreciate it

So i take the car to a local shop this morning and tell them my story. The guy quotes me $350 to change the starter. I was cool with it and gave him the keys. He stated the they will put the car on the Battery test machine to verify if it is a battery issue. Well that seemed to be the case as my current battery failed the test and i was happy and had them replace the battery. AGAIN, i told him ARE YOU SURE ITS NOT THE STARTER? he said they tested everything....I told them i will pick up the car later. I get there @ 8pm tonite and start the car.....

CLICK....2nd time....CLICK...3rd time...whimpering engine sound and just odd chug chug chug and wet engine belt type sounds. I was MAD!!!!!!!!!!
I take the key out and STILL i hear this constant sound like if you turn the ignition on while the engine is on...IT WOULD NOT STOP even i took the key out...i am running around and grab a wrench from my other car...and disconnct the battery to stop the sound....

I left the car there to give em hell on monday
Old 09-30-06, 11:01 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

NYlexus, i had the same problem with my gs400. luckly my neighbor was a mechanic and heard my car. i also took my key out and car was still trying to start, or a cracking or straping noise.. no previous problems before this. problem popped out of no where. so i was told it was my started not retracting after it starts the car. but my check vsc turned on and check engine when on too. so first step i bought the started (rebuilt) and did the work myself.. dont remeber what the check engine light was for but it went away.
Old 10-01-06, 11:57 PM
dle
Pole Position

I have the same problem with my car...
Old 10-05-06, 09:58 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Best thing is to rule out if it is truely the starter or not. Here is an article on the SC400/LS400 How to Diagnose Faulty Starter The principle is still the same. The labor is very costly. The part is about $250 (reman). However dealer will charge 5-6 hours for the job. Good luck