Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS exhaust (pics & video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 06:33 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so can we expect better hp gains from the aftermarket one?
Old 11-27-06, 07:11 PM
Yuri
Rookie

The sounds makes it all worth it!
Old 11-27-06, 07:39 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I agree that the needs for an S2000 were entirely different. The stock exhaust was nearly impossible to beat for power, so weight and sound was the only incentive for replacement. If I'm remembering correctly, the HKS did sound really nice on the S2000 even though it was heavy and made no extra power.
In regards to power increase, I have seen some cars with the exhaust make decent power and some barely make any (2-3)..of course they all had different mods and brand of mods so thats also a variable too. In the end peak hp gains isnt the ideal key. Gains or power under the curve is the key, a product may only gave a few or say none at the peak of the power curve, but if it gains throughout the curve or in the mid range...its more "usable" power. We have had systems that made only 1-2 hp over stock at the peak, but made 5-10 in the mid range...same applies for torque too.
Old 11-27-06, 07:43 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fiko18
so can we expect better hp gains from the aftermarket one?
I dont remember the numbers off the top of my head and I can not give a claim of the Lexus offered exhaust.

I do know and can state that both exhaust offer gains and the HKS one to be released is slightly more agressive in its muffler design.
Old 11-27-06, 09:50 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw this in person, dawn it sounds so good and it's huge!!!
Old 11-27-06, 10:02 PM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by HKS JZS161
I dont remember the numbers off the top of my head and I can not give a claim of the Lexus offered exhaust.

I do know and can state that both exhaust offer gains and the HKS one to be released is slightly more agressive in its muffler design.
From the info you have shared so far and the PM you've sent me. I don't see your confidence in the new one being any better except the diameter of the muffler and the engraved HKS of the tip.

Would you guys know who make this exhaust?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture092.jpg

Last edited by Hutch27; 11-27-06 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-27-06, 10:02 PM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by viettho
I just saw this in person, dawn it sounds so good and it's huge!!!
Where did you see it?
Old 11-27-06, 10:24 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hutch27
From the info you have shared so far and the PM you've sent me. I don't see your confidence in the new one being any better except the diameter of the muffler and the engraved HKS of the tip.

Would you guys know who make this exhaust?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture092.jpg
I wouldnt say that per se....its just a combination of me not being able to give out all the info at the moment and also being fair to both systems.

For what its worth, I personally would use the HKS system on my own car because my taste is more agressive than conservative. I think the Lexus offer system is a great option and performs great. It offers great sound, construction, engineering and gains. I was the lead on the project and know all and anything that was put into it from HKS and Lexus/Toyota. Not sure if people really know or not, but that exhaust is a not "just" a Genuine Toyota Accessory, its a Genuine Toyota Part - just look at the part number label. I would completely recommend this exhaust to anyone, mass public or to a enthusiast/tuner.

The HKS system is also a great system, but designed more from and aftermarket performance standpoint. The dB rating is a bit louder, the mufflers are a bit more flowing and so forth. With that being said, performance gains would be higher, but the sound level will be slightly greater too. Its all about perspective and goals you want from a product.
Old 11-28-06, 12:07 AM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by HKS JZS161
I wouldnt say that per se....its just a combination of me not being able to give out all the info at the moment and also being fair to both systems.

For what its worth, I personally would use the HKS system on my own car because my taste is more agressive than conservative. I think the Lexus offer system is a great option and performs great. It offers great sound, construction, engineering and gains. I was the lead on the project and know all and anything that was put into it from HKS and Lexus/Toyota. Not sure if people really know or not, but that exhaust is a not "just" a Genuine Toyota Accessory, its a Genuine Toyota Part - just look at the part number label. I would completely recommend this exhaust to anyone, mass public or to a enthusiast/tuner.

The HKS system is also a great system, but designed more from and aftermarket performance standpoint. The dB rating is a bit louder, the mufflers are a bit more flowing and so forth. With that being said, performance gains would be higher, but the sound level will be slightly greater too. Its all about perspective and goals you want from a product.

Thank you for the precise explanation. Makes it alot easier for me to decide.
Old 11-28-06, 12:34 AM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Thank you for the precise explanation. Makes it alot easier for me to decide.
Definitely makes my decision easier also. Im going to wait it out on this aggressive aftermarket version. When can we expect this design to be released HKS JZS161?
Old 11-28-06, 08:05 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Where did you see it?
Oh, I sold the F5 to one of a member on this forum, and he let me hear it, just last night.
Old 11-28-06, 08:10 AM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

Any idea about a price range?
Old 11-28-06, 12:49 PM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by viettho
Oh, I sold the F5 to one of a member on this forum, and he let me hear it, just last night.
It won't be out until next year. Do you mean the exclusive one for Lexus?
Old 11-29-06, 09:37 AM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Release should be sometime after the beginning of the year. Pricing will be released around that time too.

Ill update more when I can.
Old 11-29-06, 10:54 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

will it be more or less than the lexus specific one?

Quick Reply: HKS exhaust (pics & video)