Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What to do ??? Engines blown

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 02:17 PM
beecuzwhy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do ??? Engines blown

Okay guys I need your help and opinion. I have an l-tuned gs400 and its my daily driver/weekend racecar, id just blew my motor up today . I was wondering can you install the supra 2jz motor in the gs400 ? and has anyone done one here ? I seen alot of those swaps into the gs300 but not gs400. Also if my only solution is just to get another gs400 motor where can I find them ? thanks for the help. This may be is a stupid question but does car insurance cover engines ?

Last edited by beecuzwhy; 09-30-06 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-30-06, 02:25 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly is blown? Did the head blow or is the shortblock blown? With the GS400 motor, you usually have to buy the whole motor.

I have a good condition head, if that's what you are needing. Located in NJ though.

And on the Supra swap, yes I've seen it done on the GS400. The swap should be the same, since you are swapping over the whole motor. However on the car I seen, he did the motor, tranny, and rear end too.
Old 09-30-06, 04:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

putting in the gte engine in the gs400 is the same as gs300, not much difference. to get it work you need to change out a lot of parts anyway, not to mention about tuning
Old 10-01-06, 12:39 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

why not just rebuild your motor?!
Old 10-01-06, 10:30 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Going rate looks to be 1750 to 3500 check out www.car-part.com

Ben
Old 10-01-06, 11:19 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I chose to rebuild mine and install forged parts at the time.
Old 10-01-06, 01:12 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hey morris where did you have it built at and how much did it run you??
Old 10-01-06, 04:01 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

The boys at Mahdavi motorsports here in GA, they are a local tuner here and did it for me. They sent out the block and heads to be machined and bored locally. Then assembled it at the shop

Costs look like the following
4500 to do the engine and heads, hot tank, valves, bearings and hone
2000 to remove and replace turbo and engine includes engine break down and assembly
Gasket set 545
oil pump 312
water pump 263

There were some other odds and ends but that is the high dollar stuff.
oh plus forged pistons and ARP head studs.
Old 10-01-06, 05:35 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear about ur misfortune. #1) i didnt think a GTE engine could be swapped into a GS400, but it can be, but like others have stated, you would have to switch out a lot of parts... #2) if you are talkin about car insurance, then NO car insurance will NOT cover a blown engine (but if you are under any warranty, then maybe)... and just a suggestion, (and i may get flamed for this), but u should consider purchasing an engine from a junk yard that did not have any type of front end damage and the junk yard will give you some sort of warranty. good luck and let us know what happens
Old 10-01-06, 08:03 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beecuzwhy
Okay guys I need your help and opinion. I have an l-tuned gs400 and its my daily driver/weekend racecar, id just blew my motor up today . I was wondering can you install the supra 2jz motor in the gs400 ? and has anyone done one here ? I seen alot of those swaps into the gs300 but not gs400. Also if my only solution is just to get another gs400 motor where can I find them ? thanks for the help. This may be is a stupid question but does car insurance cover engines ?
I thought you were running a GS4 with FI. If I recall correctly you reported that you were pushing 478 HP to the wheels. (in another thread you responded to) So why not just rebuild the motor to handle that and not mess with a 2JZ swap. Seems that you have more than enough power on a stock block. If you build one, you would get even more. Overall, you would save money on rebuilding than trying to replace it with a 2JZ with all the stuff you need to get it back to 478HP.
Old 10-02-06, 05:08 AM
bigL
Pole Position

Ouch.Check out ebay there has been a low mileage GS4 motor going for 2700.
Old 10-02-06, 04:02 PM
beecuzwhy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by morris
I chose to rebuild mine and install forged parts at the time.
lol, this have been already re-built and and forged parts were installed. I did that so it can handle more nitirous, as you can see it was not worth it . If anybody was wondering how much nitirous 225 wet. 478whp at the dynoed.
Old 10-02-06, 04:08 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

All this time I thought it was boosted. Wow, You are pretty darn brave to run Nitrous on a car in which timing is already on the edge with the stock ECU. Or did you do something to retard timing when Nitrous was being used?
Old 10-02-06, 04:10 PM
beecuzwhy
Driver School Candidate

im getting tired of the racing seen here in bakersfield and no one will even race me here anymore . The motor has already been rebuilt and supposed to handle at least 600 horsepower but as you can tell it was a waste of money. It dynoed at 478whp and was running fine until the other day. For anyone wondering about 1/4 times it ran low 12.2 consistenly. I think im gettin to old for racing now, turning 25 in 7 days. so i just want to drop in a used motor now, was thinking of the 2jz but not no more. I will be selling alot of l-tuned parts in the future and other preformance parts so lookout for them.
Originally Posted by HI98GS
I thought you were running a GS4 with FI. If I recall correctly you reported that you were pushing 478 HP to the wheels. (in another thread you responded to) So why not just rebuild the motor to handle that and not mess with a 2JZ swap. Seems that you have more than enough power on a stock block. If you build one, you would get even more. Overall, you would save money on rebuilding than trying to replace it with a 2JZ with all the stuff you need to get it back to 478HP.
Old 10-02-06, 04:41 PM
beecuzwhy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HI98GS
All this time I thought it was boosted. Wow, You are pretty darn brave to run Nitrous on a car in which timing is already on the edge with the stock ECU. Or did you do something to retard timing when Nitrous was being used?
stock ecu can handle upwards of 150 shot wet but starts to lean around 170shot if i remember correctly at the dynoed. If you are planning on squeezin make SURE you dont have an srt ecu, just use the intake not the ecu.

Quick Reply: What to do ??? Engines blown