Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMW Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 03:18 PM
Lexist7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a lot of research on FI kits - no first hand experience, though, so make sure you take these owners' advice before mine - but I will say that based on that research, I can't find any GOOD reason to go supercharger instead of turbo. I would suggest looking into s/c versus turbo a little deeper and I think you'll come to the same conclusion. Like I said, though, this is based on nothing other than research. I've also read plenty of s/c is300 owners' opinions of their FI and most are unhappy with their choice of s/c over turbo. Its all expensive, too. I decided not to do it for the time being b/c s/c or turbo, I was going to be spending atleast $7000 on a good kit, labor and new clutch (atleast - too much hp and you're looking at a new tranny, engine internals and maybe even rearend).
Old 08-04-08, 03:20 PM
Lexist7
Driver School Candidate

That comment, by the way, isn't meant to, in any fashion, insult s/c owners. I, myself, was much more inclined to s/c my car at first. S/c's are tight, there is no doubting that.
Old 08-06-08, 04:57 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

if id s/ced my car.. i would put a vortech trim on my car..
Old 08-06-08, 07:23 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexist7
I've done a lot of research on FI kits - no first hand experience, though, so make sure you take these owners' advice before mine - but I will say that based on that research, I can't find any GOOD reason to go supercharger instead of turbo. I would suggest looking into s/c versus turbo a little deeper and I think you'll come to the same conclusion. Like I said, though, this is based on nothing other than research. I've also read plenty of s/c is300 owners' opinions of their FI and most are unhappy with their choice of s/c over turbo. Its all expensive, too. I decided not to do it for the time being b/c s/c or turbo, I was going to be spending atleast $7000 on a good kit, labor and new clutch (atleast - too much hp and you're looking at a new tranny, engine internals and maybe even rearend).
My deciding factor on going S/C was "when" the blower goes out you can still drive your car while your blower is being repaired. Of course you need to either make up some kind of contraption to still use your cone filter or put your stock air box back on. But if your turbo and blower goes out your car is out of commission. Install is also so much eaiser for a S/C, you can have that whole kit off in about 3 hours. The power band is nice with a turbo though!

Goodluck!
Old 08-19-08, 02:19 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

An SC done Right is a pleasure to drive & a Sight to behold

My One-Off Raptor SC makes the IS run like it has a tight V8 under the hood.... Smooth & FAST with a little atttude.

& it sounds a little like a Jet turbine when cruising...ALOT like one when Hammering...

This started life as the original LMS SC Kit but while the story is long & sordid & the kit is now basically 80% me & 20% LMS any more...

Credit to LMS, they developed a decent kit, but the logistics of coordinating suppliers to produce a solid kit from many parts economically was too much to maintain especially when the SC MFG crapped on the whole deal midway. Combine that with the sinkhole the US economy has dropped into over the last 3-4 years.....& a fickle market of young kids spending Mom & dads money, who can't resist abusing the boost & then wondering why stuff breaks....while looking for someone else to blame... There just isn't much market potential for these kits in the 4-5k price range to warrant a huge investment in support & sales much less development and Upgrades.

Before with the LMS Powerdyne SC

So..After Powerdyne died i was stuck with nothing but a broken Sc & no where to turn After a bunch of legwork... Raptor SC from Australia (!No ****zle!) stepped in & sent me one of their Units to test

With a little help from LMS we developed a new bracket & integrated the new blower into the existing kit architecture........

LMS decided to get out of the boost game & I took over from there....After a year of running & testing and a couple failures at the race track. I pulled the whole kit off shipped the unit back to Australia for repair & decided to pull the motor apart, bumped the compression back up again a point or so closer to Stock, cleaned up the intake & exhaust systems, added an LS400 TB, a water/Meth. injection system... i got the SC back installed it & almost called it a day... untill i decided to upgraded the IC by a over 100% by swapping in an IC twice as big & after almost a year of almost daily running...it has been nothign short of a freakin' BLAST..

I enjoy a solid, safe, reliable 350rwhp for over a year now daily & there is more to come with more agressive tuning

it can be done but it definitely takes commitment

& while most who go SC eventually move to Turbo, basically for more power (evidently 300 rwhp just isn't enough for most people here...so they think) ...virtually EVERY one who has gone turbo either from the start or after an SC, has blown up SOMETHING serious within 3-6 months or less & spent A TON of money in the end vs just staying SC....Then they usually quit & sell everythign after the 2nd blown tranny......

SC... not the most powerful or fastest option... but basically, simple, reliable, plenty fast & UNIQUE...

hell ...any doofus can throw a turbo on a motor & blow it in 6 mo....

Last edited by edgy; 08-19-08 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 04:37 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

very nice..... very beautiful engine bay...

ive had a s/c vehicle before and i missed her!!! shes was a Beast!!!

yea, the bigger ur intercooler is, the better the heat soak
Old 09-05-08, 01:03 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

THank You.
Old 09-07-08, 11:04 PM
toyotasupr
Rookie

yupe i got the lms supercharger on my still til this day. its been 2 yrs. since my last post i upgrade to a bigger intercooler and a smaller pulley. boost kicks in alot faster, still untune. i just let vvti do its job and also get 320 on a full tank on stock compression.
Old 09-10-08, 04:58 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are running the imanage though?
So you have no idea what your A/F ratios are and running a 2.75" pulley on stock compression? BD11/A or Bd600 blower? Do you blow out black smoke everytime you get on the gas? Please give me/us more info?
Old 09-11-08, 01:29 PM
toyotasupr
Rookie

Originally Posted by kauaian
You are running the imanage though?
So you have no idea what your A/F ratios are and running a 2.75" pulley on stock compression? BD11/A or Bd600 blower? Do you blow out black smoke everytime you get on the gas? Please give me/us more info?
no black smokes. i am running a 2.50 pulley on a bd10 supercharger.i am not using the imanage. i just let vvti do its thing. thats why its there for right. to either rich it up or lean it down. i had my gf drive it couple of times and she floors it. i didnt notice any black or white smokes. samething inthe drive way when i wot it to test somethings out. nope no black smokes. but i do add the oct boosters to everytank

Last edited by toyotasupr; 09-11-08 at 01:32 PM.