Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 09:54 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Blitz japan has a supercharger...last I read it put outwards of 420 hp at the crank. That probably translates into something like 340 plus at the wheels (estimate). Too bad its not available in the states...yet.
and it never will be. that topic was put to bed a while ago.
Old 10-13-06, 12:16 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i just want my car to at least get to 300-320rwhp but i'm in no rush. i don't mind waiting a year or so for them to produce a good S/C so that we don't blow anything up...
Old 10-13-06, 04:00 PM
6MTIS250
Driver

im waiting S/C too
hi compression is not really a big deal, even VW R32/36 have hi compression too(R36 GTi 11.8:1), and there are some turbo kit for R32/36
i think there is a chance we getting turbo or S/C kit soon
Old 10-13-06, 04:19 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

I wonder if the kits will fit both the 250/350 without modifications, that would be awesome.
Old 10-13-06, 05:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

There are certain immutable laws of physics that engine design can't change. One of them is extremely high quality fuel for an SI engine with very high compression.

Static compression is only half the picture, adding boost raises dynamic compression, and dynamic compression is what really counts, and it is where fuel quality requirements are greatest.

The only hope for someone who wants significant boost in an engine with a high static compression ratio is a combination of great fuel and some other fuel with a very large heat of vaporisation - like methanol, ethanol, or water.

I doubt many here would be keen on filling up with 100 octane unleaded all the time. At ~$6 a gallon, it gets a bit pricey. Adding an alcohol or water requires additional failsafes to ensure the fun stops when the fluids run out, or it's bye-bye engine. And yes, I have first hand experience at detonating an engine to death. It only takes a few seconds.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot more fun to replace the port injectors with wet nitrous injectors...
Old 10-15-06, 06:05 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

guys don't warry, plenty of mods will come up for you... what should i say!! i have the 3GR-FE (228bhp) engine on my 2007 IS300 i hope we don't get left behind... i'm hoping to find some mild mods to get my IS running 300ish bhp
Old 10-15-06, 07:05 PM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

I'd love to see STS Turbo come out with a kit. I put one on my '03 Denali (I know, nice huh? LOL) and at 9psi with Methanol I put down 472awhp/527awtq, yes, at the wheels, in Arizona, on a 90 plus degree day. The truck put down over 200 less HP at the wheels stock. Talk about an easy kit! Take off the muffler(s), bolt in the turbo, and run the tubing back to the into.

Was there turbo lag? No more so than in any turbo car I've driven. I ended up putting a 3400 stall on it and then there was zero lag.

This way there is no worry about needing room in the engine, and the engine temps dont cook like they do with turbos under the hood. I think my total kit was around $5,000 plus install.
Old 10-15-06, 08:40 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Originally Posted by Weedo
I'd love to see STS Turbo come out with a kit. I put one on my '03 Denali (I know, nice huh? LOL) and at 9psi with Methanol I put down 472awhp/527awtq, yes, at the wheels, in Arizona, on a 90 plus degree day. The truck put down over 200 less HP at the wheels stock. Talk about an easy kit! Take off the muffler(s), bolt in the turbo, and run the tubing back to the into.

Was there turbo lag? No more so than in any turbo car I've driven. I ended up putting a 3400 stall on it and then there was zero lag.

This way there is no worry about needing room in the engine, and the engine temps dont cook like they do with turbos under the hood. I think my total kit was around $5,000 plus install.
wow, pics?!

I think the IS350 would be great with a set of snails, preferrably very small ones. The new 335 bmw runs two on their V6 that are very small and they are said to have no lag. The turbos run at the same time (I forgot the name for this) and I'd think the same application would work for the IS at small boost amounts.

Rear mounted turbos, such as the ones on your denali, would probably take a long time to spool with the amount of outflow the V6 can make. Many people who have LS_ engines and opt for a rear mount setup experience much more lag on average than conventional placement turbos, and those engines pump out a lot of air.

Its got to be possible, but time will tell the truth.
Old 10-16-06, 11:05 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zephyr
yea...i know the guy, very nice car in person. i really dont understand why people on c-l flamed him...
probably because he took what started as a pretty tastefully done car, and ruined it with stickers everywhere
Old 10-16-06, 11:42 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
probably because he took what started as a pretty tastefully done car, and ruined it with stickers everywhere
He barely has any stickers on it
Old 10-16-06, 12:21 PM
Weedo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
wow, pics?!

Rear mounted turbos, such as the ones on your denali, would probably take a long time to spool with the amount of outflow the V6 can make. Many people who have LS_ engines and opt for a rear mount setup experience much more lag on average than conventional placement turbos, and those engines pump out a lot of air.

Its got to be possible, but time will tell the truth.
I really don't think the spool time would be any different for a 4/6/8 cylinder, let alone much, if any different than a "front mount" turbo. The air is already travelling to the turbo even if it's 10ft back. The minute you push the trottle the air pushes back. Picture a straw full of sugar, then blow through it. The sugar is pushed from the front to the back so there's no wait for the sugar at the end of the straw to be released from the straw. I've been in quite a few STS cars/trucks and the boost is right there, right now. The smaller the turbo, the quicker the boost. I went with a large GT-67 Turbo which did spool slower than the smaller turbos.

The build/engineering time on this would be nothing compared to most setups. I actually asked STS if they would build one for my Magnum SRT-8 but they said they'd need something like 12 comfirmed and paid for kits. Maybe I'll contact them on the IS....
Old 10-16-06, 02:13 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds like a great idea... but the only problem is i'd want to see it tested first and all that. are you saying we'd have to pay for it first before they even R&D and test?
Old 10-16-06, 02:53 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

You have got to be kidding me.. It's HIS car. If he wants to put stickers on it then more power to him. If it isn't your style then don't put any on your car. I can't believe anyone would flame another person because of their personal style. Everything I saw on that car was EXTREMELY tasteful and the stickers were perfectly placed.

There is an old saying... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Let's be a little more mature here folks.
Old 10-16-06, 09:20 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JB IS350X
You have got to be kidding me.. It's HIS car. If he wants to put stickers on it then more power to him. If it isn't your style then don't put any on your car. I can't believe anyone would flame another person because of their personal style. Everything I saw on that car was EXTREMELY tasteful and the stickers were perfectly placed.

There is an old saying... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Let's be a little more mature here folks.
Wow, omg intellgence! So rare these days. =P Good post! *thumbs up*
Old 10-16-06, 10:05 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Just to clear things up the stickers are only there for shows. Nothing more. Beside I dont want to draw attend to myself with cops. If I had a choice no stickers would be a way to go but it's all for show...

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo?