Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 06:58 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo?

How long until a TT becomes available for these motors?
Old 10-12-06, 07:31 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

freaking 11:8:1...imagine putting snails on that...boost like 2 psi to be safe lol
Old 10-12-06, 08:25 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Id love to see a reliable s/c for this car myself. TRD style-but its never gonna happen. After going through all the issues w/ the boosted IS300 and the boosted Scion tC, its just not worth all the headaches
Old 10-12-06, 08:31 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think someone posted about a prototype FI kit they had but people kept bashing that it got deleted. anyway, i don't know exactly who, but i heard at least one company was trying to make one and i thought i saw someone on this board that had a SC... maybe its just wishful thinking...
Old 10-12-06, 08:34 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

This guys s/c? LMW.

2psi I think I saw some posts bashing it on is300.

Who cares, it was quick even if it is only 2psi. Car needs more ***** some way or another!
Old 10-12-06, 08:35 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2385486
Old 10-12-06, 09:08 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Blitz japan has a supercharger...last I read it put outwards of 420 hp at the crank. That probably translates into something like 340 plus at the wheels (estimate). Too bad its not available in the states...yet.
Old 10-12-06, 09:23 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

seriously ... high compression + turbo ... 6 psi max.. unless they reinforced the crap out of it.. do we have forged pistons? metal hg? i really dont know bout the internals of our engine.. anyone know?
Old 10-12-06, 11:17 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mattssi
yea...i know the guy, very nice car in person. i really dont understand why people on c-l flamed him...
Old 10-13-06, 06:02 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I don't see where there's even room under the hood to install a turbo. Much less two of them.
Old 10-13-06, 07:22 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

putting a turbo in the IS is just too costly i think....all of your internals would have to be swapped out. so on and so forth..this engine along with not one, but two turbos is a recipe for detonation.
Old 10-13-06, 08:01 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't think the quantity of the turbo is the issues... depend on how the turbo is setup... again .. anyone know bout our internals?
Old 10-13-06, 08:16 AM
Irishfan
Driver

I disagree, I think a turbo is possible, at least in terms of engine build quality. Compartment space is a whole separate issue. Check out ForcedFed's turbo application for the Toyota 2ZZ-GE...11.5:1 compression, and they're reliably (shockingly) running 6.5 psi.

What's more, Tri-Point Engineering has recently developed an S/C application that also reliably runs 8 psi. Both these kits do not replace the stock engine internals...though for an added safety net, I believe many people running them use water/methanol injection.

I have to think that our 2GR-FSE, being a less complex engine (no lift), is engineered to withstand similar applications. Or, I could be dead wrong.
Old 10-13-06, 09:02 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

buy a used 350Z it probably has the best engine to tune. Since supras are waaaay over priced, personally i wouldnt drive a honda, and everyone has mustangs.
Old 10-13-06, 09:15 AM
richw350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Irishfan
I disagree, I think a turbo is possible, at least in terms of engine build quality. Compartment space is a whole separate issue. Check out ForcedFed's turbo application for the Toyota 2ZZ-GE...11.5:1 compression, and they're reliably (shockingly) running 6.5 psi.

What's more, Tri-Point Engineering has recently developed an S/C application that also reliably runs 8 psi. Both these kits do not replace the stock engine internals...though for an added safety net, I believe many people running them use water/methanol injection.

I have to think that our 2GR-FSE, being a less complex engine (no lift), is engineered to withstand similar applications. Or, I could be dead wrong.
I agree. I don't see why everyone is saying no about turbos, etc. First, nobody knows anything about this engine. Second, the direct inject is supposed to allow you to run much high compression safely.

Until we have real data and/or people who have done it, we really will not know what these motors will do. I beleive that there is a good amount of power to be had, we just need to find out how and how much.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo?