Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gs3 problem starting and wouldn't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 09:12 PM
LEKSO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs3 problem starting and wouldn't turn off

Hello all, I've been having intermittent problems with starting my 99 gs3, so last weekend I went to sears, who told me my battery was bad and had them replace it hoping that was the end of the problem. It was good for a few days but problem is back and today it started with little hesitation, I drove to my destination and the wierdest thing happened, I turn the ignition off, removed the key and the car was still running, so i put the key back and turned it on and off again a few times to get it to stop running. This is the first time this happened and it has not happened again all day. I don't think it's a battery problem anymore. Has anyone here had a problem like this and how did you fix it?
Old 11-05-06, 11:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If your car still runs after the key is out, it is possible that your starter relay is defected, as in, it's still engaging even after you switched it off. And it's probably hesitating to start because the same relay isn't engaging properly.

that's the best thing I could think of right now.
Old 11-05-06, 01:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LEKSO
Hello all, I've been having intermittent problems with starting my 99 gs3, so last weekend I went to sears, who told me my battery was bad and had them replace it hoping that was the end of the problem. It was good for a few days but problem is back and today it started with little hesitation, I drove to my destination and the wierdest thing happened, I turn the ignition off, removed the key and the car was still running, so i put the key back and turned it on and off again a few times to get it to stop running. This is the first time this happened and it has not happened again all day. I don't think it's a battery problem anymore. Has anyone here had a problem like this and how did you fix it?
Why do you take your car to Sears?
I'm sure your local dealer can accurately diagnose the problem.
Old 11-05-06, 02:19 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

autozone has better batteries(more CCA/CA) than sears and they arecheaper. But I agree take it to the dealer to get the problem accur. diagnosed, if it is still persisting.

I went thru like 3 batteries at sears ($116.00 considerably less than $300.00 at BMW dealer).

Same thing was happening to me, I would install the battery, and I would have 1 good week with my car, then after that my car would hesitiate to start to the point where the battery went bad. I had some aftermarket electronics tho: subs, amp and such, and sears' batteries just couldnt take it. So I started looking around went to O'riely's, advanced autoparts, autozone, interstate, and I found the best battery at autozone, and wierd thing was it was one of the cheapest. I returned my sears battery, and bought the one at autozone (I think $50), havent had one problem since. And that was for the BMW's battery (I think they are more expensive, since they are so dam big)

I wouldnt be surprised if it still was your battery.

Good luck with it, hope you find the problem.
Old 11-05-06, 04:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

donjuan45i, he bought a new battery and the problem still existed. Remember, at one ponit he was not able to turn his car off
Old 11-05-06, 04:25 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
donjuan45i, he bought a new battery and the problem still existed. Remember, at one ponit he was not able to turn his car off

OH wow, lol sorry I must have overlooked that small bit, yeah,now I think it might not be your battery. I would def take it to the dealer. Thanks GSteg
Old 11-06-06, 03:12 PM
LEKSO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
If your car still runs after the key is out, it is possible that your starter relay is defected, as in, it's still engaging even after you switched it off. And it's probably hesitating to start because the same relay isn't engaging properly.

that's the best thing I could think of right now.
Thanks GSteg, that sounds alot easier than replacing the starter itself. I will have to give that a try.
Old 11-24-06, 06:55 PM
LEKSO
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone, I just wanted to update on this issue, I replaced my starter relay and no succsess, the night before thanksgiving this thing with my car not wanting to turn off happened again and this time was the last time causing my starter to completely burn out to the point of no return, it smoked out under the hood and killed my battery. Today I had it towed to my local lexus dealer and was told that the starter had shorted out and needed to be replaced but that my battery was still good and just needed to be recharged. Anyway car is back and starts beautifully. Thanks to all for trying to help.