Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

T/C Latest

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-01, 08:06 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb T/C Latest

OK, Gang - Here's the latest on my tranny/engine light situation. The code giving me problems is the one that signals the ECU that the T/C has locked up ( don't know the number ). In my case, the solenoid in the tranny had some material ( I'm sure it was just normal wear & tear of the clutches/bands based on the appearance of the non-metallic residue ) in it that was affecting the signal. This solenoid's in the tranny right above the pan & converts the hydraulic line pressure signal into an electrical one which communicates the lock-up to the factory ECU. It wasn't a problem with either the Dragon T/C or the SRT ECU. Spoke with Jack of Precision Industries & he's heard of similar ( but rare ) conditions with other cars. He said that increasing the line pressure might help as well - I'd think that doing that would also firm up the shifts but the shop BETTER know what it's doing!:eek:
In any case, just changing the solenoid cured my problems so far but it MIGHT
happen again over the long term. Nothing serious as of yet. Just a heads-up!
Old 10-23-01, 10:01 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks MG for the info - this gives me more confidence in the soon to be installed SRT products.

Finally, some 3rd party corroboration.
Old 10-23-01, 10:05 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene,

I assume this was covered under the Lexus warranty. Has your Lexus dealer seen this failure before?
Old 10-23-01, 12:36 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Under Warranty!

Calvin - Yes, the factory warranty picked up the tab, including the new tranny filter & fluid ( thought I'd let them change things while the pan was off ). Don't think Lexus was supposed to cover the new filter ( MY decision ) but my service writer & tech guys at Price LeBlanc Lexus love the car & the mods so they work with me! Also, they said that they'd seen the same problem on one or two other unmodified GS rydes so the solenoid wouldn't raise a red flag anyway. Besides, the Dragon T/C is 50 state legal & WILL NOT void your warranty ( the tranny part )! I asked an attorney friend about that ( showed him all the Precision Industries paperwork stating their case ) & he said that Lexus would threaten to not cover things in hopes that U'd back down but if push came to shove, they could be forced to honor the warranty since Precision had been approved by CARB, SEMA & every other alphabet organization!!
Old 10-23-01, 12:45 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That rocks - for one reason or another, I was under the impression that the SRT / Precision TC voided the warranty - very cool..

Either way, I'm approaching the end of mine.

Last edited by ///MDex; 10-23-01 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 07:08 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Thanks for the good info, Gene.
Old 10-23-01, 09:27 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info GENE !

My plans for the TC are back on !
Old 10-23-01, 10:14 PM
RacingAristo

I will print this out and take it to the dealer and hopefully it will fix the engine check light problem that has been going on for a month.

Thank, M.G.
Old 10-24-01, 08:15 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Feedback

RA - If ya would, let us know if that solenoid's your problem as well - was wondering how YOUR situation worked itself out!? My tech told me that the next step ( if the solenoid wasn't the cure ) would be to go into the tranny itself for some serious diagnostics. He said that unless I had noticed a severe shudder & THEN the "Check Engine" light came on, then it WOULD be the T/C. Never felt anything like that & we drove the s*** out of the GS Monday morning - maybe I should charge the dealership for a new set of rear tires!!??:eek:
Sure hope things go well for ya, my friend!