Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

rear kit w/tanabe exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 10:38 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear kit w/tanabe exhaust

who out there has a rear bumper/lip/whatever you wanna call it and the tanabe? i've been looking at previous posts with pics of different kits (toms, fabulous, ings, digna, etc.) but one with a tanabe exhaust. i have the oem kit and was planning to change it up and get the fabulous front lip, but don't really like the fabulous rear pieces. with the oem kit, the tanabe doesn't stick out at all (maybe 1 cm on the the left side of the left muffler tip and right side of the right muffler tip) so i was wondering if something would give the rear section a better look with the tips sticking out a little more. any help would be great. thanks!
Old 11-14-06, 11:05 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

and also, what are the differences between the frp and the cf versions? i understand the cf will probably be stronger/lighter? but is that worth the ~$500 difference?
Old 11-15-06, 03:46 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will go for the CF if I have that 500Extra dollors in my pocket! Don't settle for the less
Old 11-15-06, 03:46 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

or 2nd best
Old 11-15-06, 06:41 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

in the rear if you want to save the money .. i dont see need for CF...

frp = fiber reinforeced polymer (i believe)
CF = Carbon fiber <- this just says carbon fiber is used.

Seriously if i was going to spend that much more i'd look into it to see if they have made the lip structurally strong. Some may lay fiber glass underneath and just put the CF on top. You bought cf, but you don't have thes strength of it.

A good rule of thumb is to ask how many layers of CF they used...

Strong : do you really want strong.. you want ductile and something good at impact and flexible. Remember if your CF is strong the connection from your lip to bumper will be the weak point.

Again, if the CF isn't made right then you're jus buying the material without it's proper strengths. In my opinion a whole lip made out of CF would be pretty expensive... sorry i can't give more info that this. If i was at my old work i'd be able to get you my co worker and boss on this. They make CF for boeing so they would definately be able to give a definate answer.

for rear i wouldn't waste my time cause when i'm driving my front bumper would be at risk and less at the rear.
Old 11-15-06, 07:21 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

If all you're going for is looks, then don't waste your money of CF. Get the one you like the best at the best price you can find. The entire purpose of using CF on anything is weight savings, not strength (excluding obvious cosmetic applications). If all you're going to do is paint over the bumper covers, then getting a CF piece is a waste (unless you want to say, "Hey, I have CF bumper covers."). Don't worry too much about the strength of the pieces, as even the stock bumper covers are not designed the absorb impact. The actual bumper is underneath the part you're considering replacing. If anyone hits you from behind, you'll have to replace either piece.

Javier
Old 11-15-06, 10:25 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

thanks a lot guys. its just everyone that's bought the fabulous kit has mentioned prices of $700+. i know the FRP front lip should be less than $500 for sure and i dont' plan on getting the rear pieces anyway.

so no one has answered my first post yet. anyone with the tanabe have a rear kit that looks nice with the exhaust? as i mentioned before, the oem kit sticks out further than the exhaust. if it comes down to it, i might have to get the fabulous rear kit.
Old 11-15-06, 03:17 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

tanabe made their tips pretty short, i dont think you'd find any COMPLETE rear add-on that would make it look like its sticking out.
Old 11-15-06, 03:41 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

alright, well i'm gonna keep the rear for sure and unless i find a really good price for the fabulous front lip, i'll probably stick with the entire oem kit for the time beings. save myself some $$$ and use it instead for some hid fogs or a blitz grille, or what everyone's been bugging me to get... some rims.

again, thanks for all the input. you all have helped me in making my decision.