Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla Exhaust now on their site

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 08:38 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gernby, you know thats basically what the LMS exhaust did right, they just removed the y-pipe and made it true dual the whole way back. and thats how you get 15-20hp. here do this, go drive in an m3. then drive in an is350, the sound is unbelievably different, as in the m3 actually has an engine tone.

the is350's resonator/secondary cat rob a massive amount of horsepower. the primary cats, when removed on the is250 for the megan headers, also rob a great deal of power. lexus went all out on the luxury-sound and emissions thing, now its up to someone to go all out on the performance thing.

I kind of loike the borla exahust. i'm not a fan of the round mufflers, which is why i wasn't interested in the LMS design (that and they had problems). however this does look a little more classy (actually it looks REMARKABLY close to the Borla exhaust we saw ont he NAIAS Team Lexus blue IS350. round tips with round mufflers of the same diameter).

you can also see here, where exhausts like tanabe hks and the like usually join together and proceed to the resonator, the borla exhaust keeps going back in two pipes. could be good!
Old 12-02-06, 09:39 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I'm going to check with Borla customer service again on Monday and see if they have an installation document or if they've gotten better photos.

Looks like its a dual pipe all the way back but I want to be sure before I shell out about $1100 for an exhaust.
Old 12-02-06, 10:22 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the fact that the cans on the exhaust aren't huge like the other ones...
Old 12-02-06, 11:31 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm really liking that exhaust on the Blue IS350 above. Looks great! Would be even better if it was 2 pipes all the way back. Looking forward to seeing more final pics and documentation on the upcoming Borla exhaust. Like uschardcor said, I too hesitated on the LMS exhaust because of the problems they were having and the oval style canisters. Also heard from multiple people that the exhaust was a bit too loud. A local IS350 owner (waynetech2) who works at Pohanka Lexus here in N.VA just told me yesterday he ordered the LMS exhaust and I'll be sure to check it out once installed and get a few audio clips. I'd also like to see him dyno his car.
Old 12-02-06, 12:38 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

is that the LMS or borla on the blue is?
Old 12-02-06, 03:01 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

it is a custom borla exhaust. it isn't exactly the same as the one in the picture but similar.

also, look at this, the 350z exhaust costs 1,154.99 msrp, and this is what all it includes

ours costs 1299, and above is a lot of material for the price. could lend to good news.
similarly, the g35c exhaust for 1195

Last edited by uschardcor; 12-02-06 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-02-06, 03:22 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I'm getting pretty discouraged here, most of the big name brand
companies have exhausts out for our cars, and I don't like any
of them
Old 12-02-06, 03:26 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I hope someday Powerhouse Amuse will make an exhaust for our car like they did for the first generation IS.

But I can only dream...
Old 12-02-06, 05:05 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

i want an exhaust with performance like lms, not loud but lets you know its there, and with the tips that look like the ones in that blue is350 in the pic.
Is that alot to ask for??????????????????
Old 12-02-06, 05:09 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

look at it this way, if NO ONE comes up with a proper true dual system like i think the lot of us want, someone can probably make it and make a little profit out of it.

btw cspec you're drop look great. any rubbing? what is the measurement on the drop? any settling?
Old 12-02-06, 05:11 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
I'm getting pretty discouraged here, most of the big name brand
companies have exhausts out for our cars, and I don't like any
of them
what dont you like about them?
Old 12-02-06, 07:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
... and made it true dual the whole way back. and thats how you get 15-20hp...
That doesn't concur with any exhaust tuning theory I know. Splitting the exhaust into separate pipes means you lose half the scavenging effect available. I've never seen any dual exhaust make more power than a properly merged single exhaust. You realise this is why they have the merge pipe in there?

As bizarre as it sounds, this is even true on three cylinder two strokes where exhaust tuning is a huge factor in performance.
Old 12-02-06, 10:08 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uschardcor
btw cspec you're drop look great. any rubbing? what is the measurement on the drop? any settling?
Thanks. I just got the Eibach Pro-Kit. And there is no rubbing, tires and wheels work perfectly.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That doesn't concur with any exhaust tuning theory I know. Splitting the exhaust into separate pipes means you lose half the scavenging effect available. I've never seen any dual exhaust make more power than a properly merged single exhaust. You realise this is why they have the merge pipe in there?

As bizarre as it sounds, this is even true on three cylinder two strokes where exhaust tuning is a huge factor in performance.
Agreed, I have yet to see a dual exhaust make more power than a true single exhaust.
Old 12-03-06, 02:52 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
Guys, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I was totally wrong. Lobuxracer straightened me out about this. There are indeed 2 sets of cats. There is a primary CC for each cylinder bank in the exhaust manifold with O2 sensors before and after, then there are secondary cats (unmonitored) in the mid-pipe. Since the secondary cats are not monitored via OBDII, they could easily be removed.

The drawing below shows the stock mid-pipe, and a midified version that I think could "improve" the sound of the stock system while picking up a pony or two. It would probably also shave 10-15 lbs. I figure the stock pipe could be modified by just about any exhaust shop for very little money.
I believe someone on this forum has already done this, but I can't find the thread. Any speculation as to how loud this might be?
Old 12-03-06, 07:06 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

lobux you either mis-read or mis-quoted. lms advertised a 15-20hp gain, mainly due to cat removal. same with the megan headers on the is250. obviously splitting a pipe isn't going to do much of anything.
Originally Posted by linh811
I believe someone on this forum has already done this, but I can't find the thread. Any speculation as to how loud this might be?
i'm not sure if anyone has done it, but it will be as lound and annoying as it is designed. you can make a powerfull exhaust not sound like a lawnmower going down the street, its just up to the designers. the borla exhaust i've heard (the one off from TL) had a nice low idle and a lively note during acceleration. the lms just sounded like crap, imo.

here's the is350 borla vid...and a GS that just sounds like an orgasm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=borla+is350
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=borla+is350

Last edited by uschardcor; 12-03-06 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust now on their site