Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Racing says headers will fit IS350!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 10:54 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hey... is Megan Racing a knock off from Mugen Racing?

just curious.
Old 11-29-06, 12:00 AM
Wests
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
hey... is Megan Racing a knock off from Mugen Racing?

just curious.
Mugen makes Honda parts. Megan seems to make parts for most manufacturers. That's not to say they didn't get inspiration for their name from Mugen.
Old 11-29-06, 12:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by GlacierIS
Ive been wondering how is it that a header designed for the 250 works on the 350. Aren't these two different motors yielding very different numbers. I see it kinda weird someone with real R&D behind it designed for one engine works well on another. On a side note if anyone wants to make their 02 sim for about $5 check this page outhttp://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...ic=229959&st=0. i've used it on two cars s2000, 350z both brand new cars and works like a charm. I just don't know if the thread size used is the same as our cars.
This technique has mixed results with the Scion tC crowd. Some work, some do not. Some fail at inappropriate times. If Megan is correct and the ECM goes into limp mode, it would really not be much fun.
Old 12-02-06, 09:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran my car with one of the secondary O2 sensors dangling free while my LM1 sensor was using its bung. The check engine light came on, but the car still ran fine. I didn't notice any difference in performance.
Old 12-02-06, 09:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I tried a 555 based sim on my S2000, and it didn't work worth a damn. I found a 5-wire ECG sim that worked great for $45, but they are hard to find these days.
Old 05-13-11, 08:55 AM
micel
Rookie

By removing o2 sensor your crippling your performance.If we can get some one to reflash the cpu we might see a 15hp increase.As it is now a aftermarket header might add 5hp and overall driveability and performance will be shot.A 12-1 compression ratio makes a pretty stout engine.Toyota has done such a good job setting up this engine tuners can not improve on the performance.To make a fast is350 change differential gearing to 4.3 to 1 or higher,get the best 93 octane fuel ,get the lightest tire wheel set up possible and you will see 12 second quarter mile times, which is FAST!
Old 05-13-11, 10:02 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the PPE headers add 16 hp to our cars. We cannot flash the ecu on our cars
Old 05-13-11, 12:01 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

y not get group buy on the ppe header going on now , ppe is the best header out there !!!!
Old 11-26-11, 02:48 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

So I take it no one's stepped up and grabbed some megan headers? Well I might as well be the one. I'm gonna order them after christmas sometime (strapped for cash after Black friday...) and I'll get them in as soon as possible. But in return for being ya'lls guinae pig, I need someone to help me with that O2 simulator problem. I'll contact Megan and see what, exactly, they suggest but in the meantime if one of the guys on here could help me out I'd appreciate it. I won't blame anyone if something goes wrong, I might ask for help (advise) in fixing it (if it's fixable) but that's it. Anyone wanna lend me a hand?
Old 11-27-11, 08:04 PM
kab2103
Driver School Candidate

Megan does not advertise the headers fitting the 350. I would be careful before trying to fit the 250 headers on a 350. Why don't you just get headers that are made for the 350? Here is a link to PPE for their headers. They are made specifically for the 350 and are tuned for the car. http://www.ppeengineering.com/products/lexus/is350.php
Old 12-03-11, 08:02 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by kab2103
Megan does not advertise the headers fitting the 350. I would be careful before trying to fit the 250 headers on a 350. Why don't you just get headers that are made for the 350? Here is a link to PPE for their headers. They are made specifically for the 350 and are tuned for the car. http://www.ppeengineering.com/products/lexus/is350.php
Considering Megan's headers are about half the cost you can understand our preferrence for them. Besides, a Megan Rep TOLD the OP that headers would fit. Thats enough for me to want to get some, If they don't fit I'll just send them back. All I need is someone to help me figure out this O2 spoof business, I'm still waiting on a reply from the dealer.
Old 12-03-11, 08:38 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
Considering Megan's headers are about half the cost you can understand our preferrence for them.

A Kia is less than half the cost of your Lexus.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Besides, a Megan Rep TOLD the OP that headers would fit. Thats enough for me to want to get some, If they don't fit I'll just send them back. All I need is someone to help me figure out this O2 spoof business, I'm still waiting on a reply from the dealer.
I'm certain they will physically fit.

That doesn't change the fact they were designed for a significantly smaller displacement engine flowing a lot less air.

Which means the design, tube diameter and length, etc will not be ideal for the engine on which you intend to use them and the results they produce are likely to not be ideal.

Not that I ever saw anyone produce any worthwhile gains with the megan headers even with using them on the correct engine either.

If over 5 years of existing with a single worthwhile dyno result on the correct car makes you think they're a good idea on the wrong car, go for it! Be sure to do a proper before and after dyno and let us know your results... or more likely the lack thereof.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-03-11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-03-11, 09:28 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
A Kia is less than half the cost of your Lexus.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

I'm certain they will physically fit.

That doesn't change the fact they were designed for a significantly smaller displacement engine flowing a lot less air.

Which means the design, tube diameter and length, etc will not be ideal for the engine on which you intend to use them and the results they produce are likely to not be ideal.

Not that I ever saw anyone produce any worthwhile gains with the megan headers even with using them on the correct engine either.

If over 5 years of existing with a single worthwhile dyno result on the correct car makes you think they're a good idea on the wrong car, go for it! Be sure to do a proper before and after dyno and let us know your results... or more likely the lack thereof.
They're designed to deliver MORE air to the engine though and the problems with the 250's performance are in da' engine. honestly there isn't much you can do to help the bugger out at ALL so we can't be certain it's the headers.
What it gonna come down to is how much (if at all ) better the megan headers are at delivering air when compared to OEM. Just LOOKING at OEM, I cant think of a much worse design so almost anything would be prefferable. I'm going to try ordering a pair and running a fluid dynamics test on them. I already have the data from when I did an annex on ym OEM set and hopefully these should deliver a greater volume but we'll see. I wonder if I could get megan to "loan" them to me for the test...
Old 12-04-11, 06:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They're designed to deliver MORE air to the engine though and the problems with the 250's performance are in da' engine. honestly there isn't much you can do to help the bugger out at ALL so we can't be certain it's the headers.
What it gonna come down to is how much (if at all ) better the megan headers are at delivering air when compared to OEM. Just LOOKING at OEM, I cant think of a much worse design so almost anything would be prefferable. I'm going to try ordering a pair and running a fluid dynamics test on them. I already have the data from when I did an annex on ym OEM set and hopefully these should deliver a greater volume but we'll see. I wonder if I could get megan to "loan" them to me for the test...
see, this is what I'm talking about though-

For one, headers don't deliver air, they get rid of it.

For another, there's a lot more to efficient header design than the total volume it can flow... (overall design for velocity, cylinder scavenging, etc)... otherwise everyone would just use huge, short, equal length tubes for headers... hence why a dyno will be useful, a by-themselves flowbench reading not nearly so much.

Your comments on why it might suck on the 250 but not the 350 didn't make much sense either.... the PPE headers add considerable hp to a 250 (relatively speaking)...

(in fact their stated gains for the 250 headers are greater than for their 350 headers.... and Mazzuri had similar results in the brief time he offered different headers for the two cars.)
Old 12-04-11, 01:34 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you guys that are considering this, This is a very bad idea. In order to be worth while they have to deliver increased performance. In order to deliver increased performance any header has to be designed for the engine they are going to be used on. This all hads to be researched and tested on the engine. There are several things that go into this. The diameter of the tubing, the length of the tubing, and the bends in the tubing. All of these things have to be determined and set perfectly to get the best performance. They may fit the engine as far as bolting to it but they will not provide you the performance addition you are looking for: period!