Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about installing rear Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 11:31 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about installing rear Borla exhaust

This is my first post, let me start off by saying hello. I recently bought a black cherry pearl 2002 GS300. I absolutely love the car. I cant be happier.

I am taking mods one step at a time starting with exhaust, headers, downpipe, and intake. I recently bought a 1 year old Borla rear exhaust system for $140. The pipes came with all the hardware and the Borla 1,000,000 mile warranty. They discontinued this specific exhaust system.

My question is: I am not too experienced with changing parts. I know how the engine and car operates, but I lack the experience. I am still learning everyday. I know these pipes are direct bolt on. Would this be easy enough for me to do? Or would it be recommended to get a professional to install the pipes? Also, is it street legal to run pipes without a muffler? They dont seem to have one.

Im going to be ordering OBX headers within the next month or so. Ive been reading about some issued with the OBX down pipe not fitting properly...so Im holding back for right now until I figure out all the specs.

Here are some photos of the pipes.

Help would be appreciated

Last edited by box; 12-01-06 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-01-06, 01:53 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ah you got that off of ebay, right? i was looking at that auction but decided against it because of the lack of mufflers. those things will be easy enough to bolt on but if you have to do a visual inspection then you will probably have issues.
Old 12-01-06, 09:00 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbgs400
ah you got that off of ebay, right? i was looking at that auction but decided against it because of the lack of mufflers. those things will be easy enough to bolt on but if you have to do a visual inspection then you will probably have issues.

Ebay exactly. I was a little concerned about the lack of mufflers also. But I figure for $140...it will make a decent exhaust until I am able to get a full catback system.

Explain to me what you mean by "if you have to do a visual inspection then you will probably have issues"
Old 12-01-06, 09:04 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i mean if you have to do an emission test that includes a visual inspection using that exhaust will probably be an issue. that's my guess anyhow.
Old 12-01-06, 09:30 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbgs400
i mean if you have to do an emission test that includes a visual inspection using that exhaust will probably be an issue. that's my guess anyhow.
Oh, I understand what you mean now. The auction stated it is completely street legal. From what I've read and heard. The muffler is built in the carbon fiber tips.

The pipes only came with 1 gasket though.

Here are some pictures that I took with my camera.

Last edited by box; 12-02-06 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-02-06, 07:45 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Do any of you know where I can find another gasket besides trying to go through Borla?

I've tried Pepboys, AutoZone, a two proformance part stores in my town.
Old 12-03-06, 03:59 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to use the gaskets presently on your factory exhaust. I did not put any new gaskets on when I did my exhaust and I have had no problems. You should be able to install it yourself. If you can get your factory bolts off then the rest is easy. Also, you will have to remove your factory hanger bracket and replace it with the one presently installed on that Borla. As long as you can jack up the car and get some jack stands under there, you can do it. Otherwise you can take it to a local muffler shop and they should be able to do it for like $50 or so. Good luck and let us all know how it sounds.
Old 12-03-06, 05:01 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexasGS
You should be able to use the gaskets presently on your factory exhaust. I did not put any new gaskets on when I did my exhaust and I have had no problems. You should be able to install it yourself. If you can get your factory bolts off then the rest is easy. Also, you will have to remove your factory hanger bracket and replace it with the one presently installed on that Borla. As long as you can jack up the car and get some jack stands under there, you can do it. Otherwise you can take it to a local muffler shop and they should be able to do it for like $50 or so. Good luck and let us all know how it sounds.
Thanks for the info. I went to 6 different auto parts/proformance part stores and I had no luck finding the gasket. Borla main offices are located around 1 hour away from me in Oxnard, CA. I am going to call them tomorrow and try to place an order for their gaskets. Either that, or I could just stop by the Lexus dealership tomorrow and pick up two OEM gaskets for $10.

A couple people told me to take it to a muffler shop and get them put on for $40-50 and a few people told me to do it myself. If I were to do it myself, I'd have to go to Pepboys and pick up some wheel ramps which will run me around $40. For the same price I could just have them put on professionally...not that it will make a difference but it would make things easier.

The gasket that I got with the exhaust seems smaller than the end of the pipe. It isnt exactly a perfit fit. It just sits between the pipe and the exhaust, correct?

Pretty simple for a rookie like myself to take care of?
Old 12-04-06, 12:49 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

I would just get the gaskets to avoid any leak problems. They are bout $10 from the dealer and bout $ 7-$8 from Carson.. I do remember that style Borla for the GS way back when I got my other stlye Borla's. I hate to tell you this but that style you have did not sell that well and I did get too hear those on a GS400. They were too load and raspy for my taste.

Here is a pic from my install. here is what the other side of the exhaust ( Y-pipe ) looks like with the new gasket on it. I just jacked my rear end up and put 2- jack stands under it an did my install. If you can borrow some you won't have to rent them .
Good luck on the install.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 02-09-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-04-06, 12:56 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by box
Oh, I understand what you mean now. The auction stated it is completely street legal. From what I've read and heard. The muffler is built in the carbon fiber tips.

The pipes only came with 1 gasket though.

Here are some pictures that I took with my camera.

Is this the gasket that came w/ your Borla exhaust?? If so , that one is a used one.
Old 12-04-06, 04:48 AM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
I would just get the gaskets to avoid any leak problems. They are bout $10 from the dealer and bout $ 7-$8 from Carson.. I do remember that style Borla for the GS way back when I got my other stlye Borla's. I hate to tell you this but that style you have did not sell that well and I did get too hear those on a GS400. They were to load and raspy for my taste.

Here is a pic from my install. here is what the other side of the exhaust ( Y-pipe ) looks like with the new gasket on it looks like. I just jacked my rear end up and put 2- jack stands under it an did my install. If you can borrow some you won't have to rent them .
Good luck on the install.
Thanks for the info. I am going to stop by the dealer tomorrow and try to get two gaskets. That's a bummer on the loud and raspy. I was hoping for something a little deeper. I will let you know how it sounds when I install it.
Old 12-04-06, 04:48 AM
box
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Is this the gasket that came w/ your Borla exhaust?? If so , that one is a used one.
These are used pipes. The sender only included that single gasket.
Old 12-04-06, 05:41 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

I picked up the gaskets from the Lexus dealership today. I had such a hard time trying to remove the factory bolts without any air tools. I am going to take it to a friend who owns a proformance shop on Friday. I will post a video of how it sounds then. Thanks for the help.