Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Will Supra TT Fuel Pump fit GS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 07:16 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will Supra TT Fuel Pump fit GS?

Will the Supra TT fuel pump fit in my 98 GS400? Is it even an updgrade? I have not been able to find what the stock GS400 flow rate is? I was looking into a Walbro 255, but if I can stay with Toyota OEM and it flows even more, I would love to do it. I am about to put a 100-125 wet kit on and think the fuel pump should be upgraded in order to keep up and provide that extra insurance. Please help asap as I have a chance to pick up the fuel pump for $25. Thanks.
Old 12-03-06, 08:45 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not unless u hack up the fuel pump hanger and secure the pump with some hose clamps.

I tried putting a walbro for the supra in mine. The filter bag was facing the wrong way and was unable to clip the hanger back together.
Old 12-03-06, 09:04 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

A third option is to run a walbro external in-line fuel pump. That's what Jason at JPImportz recommended to me since the stock GS fuel pump location has such little room to work with.
Old 12-03-06, 11:34 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
A third option is to run a walbro external in-line fuel pump. That's what Jason at JPImportz recommended to me since the stock GS fuel pump location has such little room to work with.
Jeff,
If you are running an inline pump, You would need something to control it. Don't forget fuel pressure regulator is actually in the tank itself. It would be a waste of you can't regulate fuel pressure.
There are a couple of ways you can run your fuel system: Return and returnless system. The deadhead system we've been using work for us. It utilize an external pump to ramp up the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure can get up to 120 psi at WOT. Intake fuel pump is untouch, I don't like the fact the gauge needle reading is off when replacing it with a walbro unit.
Like I said there are many ways to approach the fuel system. You will need to find something that will work for you. And we've found that the deadhead system work very well. Running a piggyback unit and big injectors doesn't work too well on Lexus/Toyota. Keep your Long term fuel trim in a certain percent is the key. If you want to fight with the stock ECU, then you are not going to win the battle.
JP Importz
Old 12-03-06, 03:37 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

What is the deadhead system?
Old 12-04-06, 09:53 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i swapped a walbro pump into my car initially with no problems whatsoever. as for the filter sock being backwards, you just need the other walbro pump. there are actually a couple different 255lph high pressure pumps. main difference is which side of the pump the inlet is on.

as for using a supra pump, they are quite a bit bigger than the walbros, so i dont know if they would work. but from a current draw stand point, the supra pump pulls almost twice the current that the walbro does, for the same fuel output, so overall the walbro would be a better choice IMO.
Old 01-19-07, 08:03 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Sorry to bring this back, but has anyone else used a single Walbro unit in their GS? I was wondering if they had issues with the fuel level gauge being inaccurate.
Old 01-20-07, 09:48 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

even though JPI has said there could be problems with that, i fail to see how swapping in a direct replacement pump could effect your gas guage. the walbro 255 swaps directly into the factory spot with no modifications to anything. if thats the case, swapping in a new factory pump would also throw the guage off.
Old 01-21-07, 08:48 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

The gas gauge could be off and I've seen them many times. It's very important that you don't bend pick up.
JPI
Old 01-22-07, 06:33 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

So the gauge being off was not the fuel pumps fault, but improper installation which lead to bending the pick up? If that is the case then it has nothing to do with the fuel pump which is good to hear since I have been on the fence. Thanks.
Old 01-22-07, 08:47 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I am running a single walbro in my GS.
You can get the fuel gage to work if you install the little siphon thingy correctly. A lot of guys leave the siphon thingy off because they dont understand what it does.

Also as for just doing a direct swap of fuel pumps, it will be fine but if you use an external pressure regulator then you may have issues with the intank setup.

I found out the hardway once the fuel line pressure goes up when using an external regulator. The grommets that seal the pump to the filter can back out and cause you to **** fuel inside the tank instead of sending it down the fuel line. This of course can create issues with tuining.
Old 01-22-07, 09:30 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Thanks Morris. I am going to go ahead and install a Walbro unit then since at this time I will not need an external prssure regulator. If I have any problems I will let you guys know.
Old 01-22-07, 12:21 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

i also have a single walbro in my car now. GSS342 is the Model #.

So far i dont notice anything weird with the fuel gauge (but i always fill up when i come near 1/4 tank mark)

Yes, be sure to connect the siphon tube. It draws gas from the other side of the tank to the fuel pump area
Old 02-27-07, 03:09 PM
bowsercake
Driver School Candidate

If I install a Walbro pump in my GS300 can I bypass the stock intank fuel pressure regulator? I was hoping to be able to use the 2JZ-GTE fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator, or possible an aftermarket FPR.

I know it will work with the MKIV 2JZGE but are there any problems getting this to work on the 2JZGE GS engine?

I know that the GS fuel pump does not have a return line due to the FPR being in the tank, so, if I used the Walbro would that allow me to use the stock fuel feed line as the return line?
Old 02-28-07, 08:03 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yes that is how mine is setup. But you will have to run a new supply line

Quick Reply: Will Supra TT Fuel Pump fit GS?