Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally Happened to Me, THE DREADED CRACKED HEADER!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 01:53 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got back frrom Dynamic and confirmed crack

passenger side in the exact same spot as everyone else. I'll let you guys know how it goes with S&S.
Old 12-13-06, 07:16 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHOA!!!

I think I want to confirm here.

Members with CONFIRMED cracks:

BA
TeeLex
TAMR GUS98
Dr. G
Slowdriver

wow. well, it does suck, but, we are blazing new trails here and it does make the car faster around town for sure. In the tech world, we call it "bleeding edge".
Good luck in the fixes everyone! At least it's something you can plan for and not get stranded by it happening.
Old 12-13-06, 07:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
WHOA!!!

I think I want to confirm here.

Members with CONFIRMED cracks:

BA
TeeLex
TAMR GUS98
Dr. G
Slowdriver

wow. well, it does suck, but, we are blazing new trails here and it does make the car faster around town for sure. In the tech world, we call it "bleeding edge".
Good luck in the fixes everyone! At least it's something you can plan for and not get stranded by it happening.

Wow, that is one list I would rather not be on. Sorry to hear of the troubles guys as we all know the installation process is involved to say the least. Especially the 400 series.

This must really get a few people worried that have these installed.

Anyone know how to tell 1st gen vs 2 gen? I did not get in on the GB but a few months after as I wanted to hear some initial feedback first. For some reason I think I have the 2nd gen unit.
Lee
Old 12-13-06, 08:08 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Someone might correct me on this, but, I don't believe there is any difference between the 1st batch and the 2nd batch. I *think* it's the 3rd batch that would/should have the 'fix'.
Old 12-13-06, 08:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I do know that mine does have a different flange weld/ vs the older versions. Just hope I have the newer welds up top as well. Mine is stamped 47.
Here are pics of mine in this post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...header+install

Jbrady, do you know if these are the newer improved headers?
Lee
Old 12-13-06, 09:48 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

LOL! Dude, you got me. I'm the one that found that problem so that they could fix it. I forgot about that.
So, you are correct in that a later batch did incorporate that fix, but I gotta stick by my statement for this newer problem with the cracking. Sadly, I was the first guy to find that too, and that was only in September of this year.

Perhaps I'm just bad luck? hahahaaaa

EDIT: I read your old thread. Now I remember reading it some time ago. Excellent stuff. You and I ROCK!! lol.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 12-13-06 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 10:35 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Well, I do know that mine does have a different flange weld/ vs the older versions. Just hope I have the newer welds up top as well. Mine is stamped 47.
Here are pics of mine in this post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...header+install

Jbrady, do you know if these are the newer improved headers?
Lee
Lee,

Yours are the redesign with the weld on the inside of the 3 bolt flange. However, this change was made to accommodate the protrusion from the catalysts and really does not effect the problem area.

I have a feeling what is happening here is stress related. Many Japanese and domestic factory exhaust systems use a flex somewhere in the exhaust. The V8 Lexus cars do not. They do have a brace at the bottom of the catalysts. I HOPE everyone kept that brace? Anyway, without a flex the components must absorb any twist and expansion. The crack is NOT the weld itself, the crack is in the metal next to the weld. Welding heat tempers the metal making it more brittle next to the weld. I think we are seeing the effects of the engine torquing/twisting/moving coupled with expansion from heat. This is VERY hard to predict. If I am right a flex from the factory or aftermarket may be the true fix here. We shall see.

Last edited by JBrady; 12-14-06 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 04:24 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 2nd batch/version started w/ the weld on the inside of the 3 bolt flange.
Is this correct Jbrady?
I believe mine were a 2nd batch header and mine are welded on the inside.
One thing that is consistent though, all five that have been reported is on the passenger side.
Old 12-19-06, 11:34 AM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called and left a message with Loren yesterday regarding my issue with the cracked right side header. He promptly returned my call today, asked if my car was a daily driver (yes) and obliged to sending a new header out within a week upon which I will be returning the cracked header once the swap is completed at my shop.
Old 12-19-06, 03:48 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
One thing that is consistent though, all five that have been reported is on the passenger side.

...engine torque is probably a factor on them all being the same side. (that, and the weld penetration) Due to the direction of crank rotation, the passenger side of the engine will raise under heavy throttle.
(wasn't sure if you or others knew...)
Old 12-19-06, 06:09 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good information for those who have had this happen and need to know more. Alot of consistencies and failure analysis. Maybe we need to ask the mods if we can make this a sticky. That way we can all be on the same page on this matter. What do you guys think.
-Will
Btw, still patiently waiting to hear from Loren.
Old 12-19-06, 08:13 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Default oh *ish*

sorry to all the CL members that are dealing with this issue.
does anyone know when the second bash was made? i purchased the S&S headers in the begining of this year. just want to know if i too will have this problem.
Old 12-20-06, 01:11 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
sorry to all the CL members that are dealing with this issue.
does anyone know when the second bash was made? i purchased the S&S headers in the begining of this year. just want to know if i too will have this problem.

I guess you could call and talk to Loren Barnes at S&S Headers. Ask them if they can send you an updated passenger side header or if they can reweld yours if you send it back. Make sure you refer him to this thread. Here is their contact info.

S&S Headers Inc.
6042 N. 53rd Dr.
Glendale, AZ. 85301-7775
623-847-9000
loren@ssheaders.com
Old 12-21-06, 12:46 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Default Update!

Finally got around to calling S&S and talked to a very nice lady named Betty. She said that they are in the process of building more of our headers. They will be sending me a replacement passenger header as they become available. Probabley won't get it untill January, which is understandable, IMO, due to the Holidays. I will post up as things develope. Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.
-Will
Old 12-21-06, 01:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I started mine up this morning-very cold-and heard a tick from that side of the car. A quick inspection did not reveal much but I will have to take a closer look. If one is shot then I will just pull them both out and be done with it so hopefully it is the troublesome flange gasket instead.

Quick Reply: Finally Happened to Me, THE DREADED CRACKED HEADER!!