Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally Happened to Me, THE DREADED CRACKED HEADER!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 02:32 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Finally Happened to Me, THE DREADED CRACKED HEADER!!

O.K. Since reading about the cracked passenger side header issues, I have been dreading and hoping this would not happen to me.

It finally did. It started as a slight tick type sound. Been getting worse. Finally took the time to look into it. Removed the battery and battery tray, snapped some pics.

But even before I did this, I got in touch with Loren Barnes at S&S Headers via email on Nov. 29. Explained my situation as being the same as what TeeLex and BA GS400 had gone through with their headers. His response was to call and get a return # so they can try to repair it or they can also send me a new one. Thats cool. But, wanting to keep the down time on my daily driver to a minimum, I responded by requesting for them to send me an updated version of the passenger header, as it was determined prior that the welds were not sufficient enough. I would then send them the old one after I do the swap.

Two unanswered emails later, I decided to send a third today, with the pics I took yesterday.
Hopefully Loren can get back to me soon.............................................................................Still Waiting!!! Stand By.
Old 12-08-06, 03:17 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, ...very sorry to see this happen yet once again.

I must say though, that is an EXCELLENT angle for the picture! I had de-installed my header to see what was going on. Good on ya, others should take note on that picture angle!

I agree with you about your statement of it "being proven prior that the weld is not good enough".
I could not get a very quick reply from Loren at S&S either, that is yet another reason I took things into my own hands and had the header welded locally. They were completely courteous, just not exactly prompt.
Like you, the Lexus is my daily driver..and my only car....and I'm single. I just can't afford to ship parts out and then wait around.

I think you're totally within expectations for them to send you a replacement header first, perhaps with you leaving a temporary deposit, then you ship the bad one back once the new one is installed.

Personally, I think they need to respond a little better in your case. The problem is now proven, and the fix is known. They should have some ready to go out the door IMHO.

I didn't see mention of you calling them for the follow-up. You should call too.

Last edited by BA_GS400; 12-08-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 03:58 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. Having them ship you a new header for u to swap out sounds reasonable. And I hope they do that for u. Kinda sucks that you spend so much time/money to get it on in the first place. And will have to spend so much time/money to remove and replace again.

Hope they take care of u.
Old 12-08-06, 06:20 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Dude, ...very sorry to see this happen yet once again.

I must say though, that is an EXCELLENT angle for the picture! I had de-installed my header to see what was going on. Good on ya, others should take note on that picture angle!

I agree with you about your statement of it "being proven prior that the weld is not good enough".
I could not get a very quick reply from Loren at S&S either, that is yet another reason I took things into my own hands and had the header welded locally. They were completely courteous, just not exactly prompt.
Like you, the Lexus is my daily driver..and my only car....and I'm single. I just can't afford to ship parts out and then wait around.

I think you're totally within expectations for them to send you a replacement header first, perhaps with you leaving a temporary deposit, then you ship the bad one back once the new one is installed.

Personally, I think they need to respond a little better in your case. The problem is now proven, and the fix is known. They should have some ready to go out the door IMHO.

I didn't see mention of you calling them foir the follow-up. You should call.
Originally Posted by mikal
Sorry to hear. Having them ship you a new header for u to swap out sounds reasonable. And I hope they do that for u. Kinda sucks that you spend so much time/money to get it on in the first place. And will have to spend so much time/money to remove and replace again.

Hope they take care of u.

Thanks for the concern guys. I love this community of ours!!

BA_GS400,
Indeed my next step is definately going to be to call them. Good to know that my peers don't think I'm being out of line with my request.
Please don't think I am trying to bash S&S in anyway.
With a one off custom header like this, with no real world R and D, I kinda knew that there is a risk of something like this happening. I am still very happy with this mod and would do it again. I just hope they will help us out.
The ball is in their court and I have decided to wait at least a week to see what comes of this. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens next.
Thanks again,
-Will
Old 12-08-06, 08:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

good luck will. I agree they should send you a new one (without deposit) until you can remove and replace the cracked header.

are the headers they sell now updated or are they still the same?
Old 12-10-06, 10:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Will,

Yours is a mature and constructive post regarding a situation that nobody wants to have happen. Hopefully Loren will get this resolved for you quickly. S&S is closed Fridays and I suggest calling Monday morning.

It goes without saying but please keep everyone posted.

Loren did tell me that they have modified the welding to hopefully end any more cracking problems at this location. As you stated it is VERY tough to predict how a part will respond in real world conditions. It is unfortunate to say the least that this cracking problem happens. I for one would have NEVER expected a crack in the area affected. The only SMALL consolation is that the work to remove and re-install is easier without the stock heat shields. Not much comfort I understand.
Old 12-10-06, 09:31 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know S&S is willing to repair this if they crack.Do you know if they will pay for shipping it back?? If not your probably better of spending $10-25 having a local shop weld it.
Old 12-11-06, 10:08 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack a little, but I would like some advice. I have a set of the first batch headers that have never been installed, I am wondering if I should call S&S and see if they will swap out my set for a set of the 2nd batch or will re-weld mine. I'd hate to install these only to have them crack down the road. In your opinions what should I do?
Old 12-11-06, 10:38 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

^definitely
Old 12-11-06, 10:47 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
Sorry to hi-jack a little, but I would like some advice. I have a set of the first batch headers that have never been installed, I am wondering if I should call S&S and see if they will swap out my set for a set of the 2nd batch or will re-weld mine. I'd hate to install these only to have them crack down the road. In your opinions what should I do?

Yeah, I would definately call them to see what they would want to do for you. I would not install them and have to pull it out again later when it finally cracks. Praying to the header gods did not help in my case. I'm almost 100% sure yours will crack somewhere down the road.
One thing to consider though, I found out that Loren is not in and won't be untill sometime this week. That is why I decided to wait a week before calling them.
-Will
Old 12-11-06, 10:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Sorry to hear about the dreaded cracked header.

Hopefully Loren will come through as expected.
Old 12-11-06, 10:00 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just heard a ticking noise for the first time today

Looks like I will be contacting Loren shortly. I was also a buyer in the first batch. Guess I'm not really surprised since other members in the first batch previously reported this problem.

I'm going to swing by Dynamic tomorrow to confirm the crack.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a replacement for both sides?

I'd rather get both sides taken care of all at once since I am paying for the labor. This is my daily driver and I have to do the swap in the shortest amount of time possible.....hopefully, S&S will continue to be understanding with this issue.

Last edited by slowdiver; 12-11-06 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 10:53 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slowdiver
Looks like I will be contacting Loren shortly. I was also a buyer in the first batch. Guess I'm not really surprised since other members in the first batch previously reported this problem.

I'm going to swing by Dynamic tomorrow to confirm the crack.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a replacement for both sides?

I'd rather get both sides taken care of all at once since I am paying for the labor. This is my daily driver and I have to do the swap in the shortest amount of time possible.....hopefully, S&S will continue to be understanding with this issue.
There has been no reports of any problems with the drivers side. At least, none that I know or heard of. So, I don't think they will replace both sides.
I know how you feel, as all of us in the first batch are in the same boat. Mine is also a daily driver.
-Will
Old 12-12-06, 12:28 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Will,

Sorry to hear about the passenger side header - been there done that

Loren did take care of me by shipping out a replacement passenger side header and he also paid for the shipping of my cracked header back to S&S. I would expect he'll do the same for you.

Like BA said, nice angle on the picture, this is not an easy thing to get a good picture of the crack when installed. Hope things work out for you. BA and I know what a pita it is installing these headers ( more than once ).
Old 12-12-06, 01:51 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Default Add another to the list...

confirmed it today with a closer look from the angle Will has posted here. Appears to be the same crack in same location as everyone else. I'm almost certain it happened months ago when I had noticed while driving a "pop" sound and ever since I've noticed that my car didn't quite exactly sound the same as I had remembered it, and I'm assuming also the reason why my car has been running like ***** lately.

Quick Reply: Finally Happened to Me, THE DREADED CRACKED HEADER!!