Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thank you SRT for making such a sweet intake!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 06:11 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they knew anything about drag racing, just because they run a slower time doesn't mean the car made less power. If they are picking up mph then the car is making power. I doubt any of these people ran their car back to back from stock intake to srt intake. Was the weather exactly the same on both runs? Was their tire pressure exactly the same on both runs? Was the gas the exact same? Was the wind factor the exact same? Was traction the exact same? Etc.. the list goes on and on, multiple people have proven gains with the intake. If the car had 1/4 second of wheelspin that would drastically change the e.t. I guess when my supra ran a 13.2 at 113mph with intake and exhaust it made more power than when I was putting down 575whp single turbo and ran a 13.7 123mph, thats the same type of logic. Some people just don't have a clue I guess

Last edited by macd7919; 12-10-06 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 06:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It was AZDesertGS who made the most recent run. The changes he made for his after run:

SRT intake to Injen intake
18" wheels to heavier 20" wheels

the temperature in his second run was also a bit hotter and I believe he said he felt more low end power the second time around and there was slight opposing wind.. He had LSD to aid traction and such. His second run had a quicker ET, but a slower trap, which probably means he probably had better low end power with the Injen intake.

Some people reported low end loss, others reported with no/more low end power. The only reason why Im' not getting the SRT is because I do feel that the price is not justified for me because I dont romp on my throttle (once every month). I need my low end so basically i'm paying for power that i'll never use

To each and their own. If the SRT works out, then great. I have no doubt the SRT can make power, but it's not for me
Old 12-10-06, 06:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

whoop. sorry mikevanle for hijacking your thread. I wasn't dissing SRT at all. If you're happy, then thats all that matters.
Old 12-10-06, 08:05 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Yea, wasn't trying to hi jack, everyone has their likes and dislikes Congrats Mike, guess you had to sell those new floormats with your supra huh? lol..
Old 12-10-06, 09:55 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol yea I sold a the two sets I had to Jon (Raretoy) and Dre (dregsx?).

Not hi jacking my thread at all. I'm just sitting back and reading all these posts.

I do notice that the SRT Intake is only nice if you fully commit to hitting the throttle. If you half *** it, it sounds weird. My cousin rode with me for the first time after the intake, and he's like "wtf is wrong with your car?".

It sounds very funny if you apply half throttle. I'm still trying it out. I've heard it was loud or annoying, but you've gotta experience it first hand. I'm just trying it on for now and see how it goes.
Old 12-11-06, 08:07 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GSteg,
I do feel that the price is not justified for me
Yeah, i was thinking the same

I have SRT for about year now and still willing to keep it, i'm getting better gas milage at least

I'm going to take some pic's and show you how SRT can be upgraded to minimize heat distribution
Old 12-12-06, 08:09 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
GSteg,

Yeah, i was thinking the same

I have SRT for about year now and still willing to keep it, i'm getting better gas milage at least

I'm going to take some pic's and show you how SRT can be upgraded to minimize heat distribution
Well it's been a few days since I have the intake installed. I've been noticing a decrease in mpg. Before I was averaging around 14.9ish or so. Now I'm getting around 12.3-13.2. I know it's been me laying the mack down on the pedal testing it. But I've resetted it and tested it a few times just driving normal, often I won't even hear the intake come online at all.

Oh wells...
Old 12-12-06, 09:30 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know even how is that possible 12-13mpg? How many miles are you able to get in betwen two fill ups?
Is it City or highway miles, mix of two?
Recently outside temps dropped, that might be a factor..
Did you installed new larger wheels?

This is my experience from stock to where i'm now, conservative driving

1.Stock everything, summer time, average mpg betwen 18-19 90% city driving
2.Stock everything EXCEPT heavy 19'' wheels, summer, mpg 16.5-17.5 90% city
3.SRT Intake and 19'' wheels, summer, mpg 17.5-18.5 90% city
4.SRT Intake Stock wheels, winter, average mpg 15.5-17 90% city, depending on outside temp.
5.SRT Intake Stock wheels + 3.76 LSD, winter, averaging 15-16.5 mpg 90% city, this is my first winter with such setup.

I was never at 12-13 mpg range, even winter time.
I did notice mpg improvement after SRT install, and i watch mpg carefuly every time i fill up the tank. I'm stating facts uppon my own experience, thats it
Old 12-12-06, 09:32 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I've always been getting 12-15mph, lol. I sometimes get 17-18mpg if I'm on the turnpike the whole time.

That's why I'm surprised when people get such good gas mileage.

I go about 210miles before the gas bulb comes up.
Old 12-12-06, 09:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

whoa me too. 12mpg club right here
Old 12-12-06, 09:48 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

We must have different driving habbits or just heavy traffic i guess?
Old 12-12-06, 09:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's just traffic here. There is a stop light after every 15-20 seconds. lol. My tranmission is taking a beating from all the shifting too
Old 12-12-06, 10:02 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's just traffic here. There is a stop light after every 15-20 seconds. lol. My tranmission is taking a beating from all the shifting too
Thats what i thought, i can only imagine summer+stop and go traffic = early trans death
I hope everything is fine so far...
Old 12-12-06, 10:31 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Throw a tranny cooler on there Mike. They are cheap and easy to install, if you really want to do it, go ahead and flush the coolant while your at it, good time to throw in some water wetter.
Old 12-13-06, 07:00 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

My MPG is that low as well too with the SRT, but I don't mind, my commute to work and school is not that great, before going to work is about 50 miles round trip and I would fill up almost every 6-7 days, Before the light would go off I would get around to the 275 miles, right now it's has gone down yet, but I am almost half way with the gas tank and I got about 101 miles...guess I need to start hitting the throttle more

Quick Reply: Thank you SRT for making such a sweet intake!