Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thank you SRT for making such a sweet intake!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 07:44 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you SRT for making such a sweet intake!

I just installed mine tonight, and it sounds awesome. I have a few minor complaints, but not too shabby.

The "airbox" that they include is virtually useless. There's gaps and openings everywhere so it's pointless. Also the couplers are red, yet the filter is blue?

Other than that, the sound is pretty good. It almost sounds like a domestic at wot, I think. I've never driven or riden in a domestic before :/

Also the "chirps" when I initially give it gas. If I flick the gas on and off it'll chirp more noticibly. It almost sounds like a weak blowoff valve, for anyone that knows turbo terms.
Old 12-08-06, 08:21 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

...nice i plan on going SRT for my 03 300
Old 12-09-06, 06:45 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Oh yes...I love the "chirp" as well
Old 12-09-06, 06:49 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen pics the supplied air filters come in a couple of different colors, mine was black.
Old 12-09-06, 01:39 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And i have K&N now, even better
Old 12-09-06, 04:57 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a picture I took this morning. After removing the stock airbox and all of the assemblies out, it looks very empty under the engine cover around the power reservoir.

I would remove the engine cover, but it think the motor looks ugly.

Old 12-09-06, 06:10 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
The "airbox" that they include is virtually useless. There's gaps and openings everywhere so it's pointless.
If you read the description of the intake it's not advertised as an "airbox" It's advertised as a heat shield. Two totally different things. When you close your hood the gap between the top of the heatshield and the factory heatsheild mounted to the underside of your hood is very small. Obvioulsy it's not going to eliminate all underhood heat, anyone can see that. But, are you willing to say that it does absolutly nothing to keep some of the underhood heat away from the filter while moving? So it indeed does serve a purpose
Old 12-09-06, 06:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I see a pretty huge gap between the metal shield and the radiator support Yea, hot air is gonna flow in.

I think they one for the K&N filter is a lot better, but it still has that big gap aronud the intake pipe.
Old 12-09-06, 06:54 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GSTEG I assume you mean air is going to flow out, would you argue that the vacuum effect from the large amount of air flowing through the grill and radiator would be too little to render airflow in it's direction through that small opening? Doubt it You have a large mass of air moving within inches away from that "gap" simple fluid dynamics would prove that air is going to be drawn to the larger mass of flow. Either way, everyone has their opinion, we can leave it at that If there was no arguing what fun would the forums be? lol....

Vanle, did you feel a difference in performance? You mentioned you liked the sound (I would agree ) but could you tell any difference in the performance of the car?

Last edited by macd7919; 12-09-06 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 07:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree. The air would be drawn towards the engine, instead of the intake, but the intakes has to draw air from somewhere right? I doubt the area above the shield would be fully enclosed enough that the intake would act as a fully closed system. Eventually you'll reach a state of thermal equilibrium as long as the engine bay is an open system. Which is why i'm a fan of intake boxes so at least the box would act as a separate system. Not to mention, the stock box has a cool air ram

I can't recall the link (probably dead by now) but about 8 years ago, someone did an experiement (ford Mustang 4.6L V8) consisting of a short ram with a heat shield, almost like the SRT, but more enclosed. Initially, the shield helped out and the difference in power was approximately 5whp. The car was ran for another 15 minutes around the city and then strapped back onto the dyno. This time, the shield only increase the power by 2whp in comparison to the short ram alone. This 2whp could be because of the shield, or because of the dyno variation.

If I had access to a dyno, I would probably do the same experiment, just for the sake of it. nothing better than an objective test! We'll leave it as that since we can come up with a million hypothesis. LOL
Old 12-09-06, 08:56 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

I would remove the engine cover, but it think the motor looks ugly
don't do this man. the engine cover keeps it lookin nice and clean under the hood.
Old 12-09-06, 08:59 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I am keeping the cover on. The V8 motor looks ugly as hell with the cover removed. There's so many lines going across it and the fuel injectors are all exposed.

I need to clean my engine bay soon. It's just too cold now so I'm lazy.
Old 12-09-06, 09:02 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Too bad dyno pulls are like $75 for 3 pulls. If it was cheaper and you could do the pulls at separate times instead of all 3 back to back, I would consider doing some benchmark testing.
Old 12-09-06, 09:21 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dynoed mine few months back @ 235 to the wheels with some heavy 19's
Old 12-10-06, 07:39 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I noticed the chart on SRT's website. How did they redline up to around 6600?

Quick Reply: Thank you SRT for making such a sweet intake!