Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Teaser pics of the HKS Hi-Power exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 08:49 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
750 for a damn axel back. these companies are insane. especially by putting such horrific looking mufflers on.
agreed. the tips/mufflers look total rice. at least the tanabe looks nice.
Old 12-20-06, 09:06 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am i the only one that thinks it looks the best out of all the other cans? tanabe is too small and lms is just plain ugly.
Old 12-20-06, 10:32 PM
6MTIS250
Driver

i think single will look alot better
dual just too much
Old 12-20-06, 10:36 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice exhuast set-up!
Old 12-20-06, 11:03 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I love HKS products but that will not do especially a catback. I have always choose HKS exhuast over others but $750 just for looks will not do i am totally over with that. The only way i would diss out $750 is if it's a system meaning "catalyc and back". Most importantly it got to make power. Lms system is expensive but imo it's the only system in the market that really makes any true hp and trq gains. Group buy anyone on the LMS system? Anyways thanks for the great products that you put out HKS.
Old 12-20-06, 11:03 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by Seize
Nice exhuast set-up!
Love your sign!
Old 12-20-06, 11:09 PM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I love HKS products but that will not do especially a catback. I have always choose HKS exhuast over others but $750 just for looks will not do i am totally over with that. The only way i would diss out $750 is if it's a system meaning "catalyc and back". Most importantly it got to make power. Lms system is expensive but imo it's the only system in the market that really makes any true hp and trq gains. Group buy anyone on the LMS system? Anyways thanks for the great products that you put out HKS.
Have you ever considered Megan Racing?
Old 12-20-06, 11:18 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet.. who wants to buy my tanabe =P
Old 12-21-06, 01:22 AM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Any idea of how it compares in weight to the stock exhaust? Is it stainless?
I dont have exact weight figures, but it is lighter than the stock set up.

Ill try to get the weights when the are in stock

and yes its complete stainless
Old 12-21-06, 01:24 AM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
It sure would be nice if you would offer a new mid section without rear cats as well...
That would be nice, but it wouldnt be a "legal" exhaust. Removing at cats from a vehicle is illegal, hense as a manufactuer, they would not offer it....unless its for off-road use only. But thats a whole other story. For the future, the concept of a midpipe will be noted.
Old 12-21-06, 06:34 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Why not a new midpipe with a high flow cat?
Old 12-21-06, 06:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I think the manufacturers are a bit hesitant to mess with the cats. I also think the back pressure is just about perfect for this cars hp. I have a feeling the only power we are going to get out of exhaust work is by replacing the rear axle back with something that will increase the exhaust flow (free flowing muffler(s) tube diameter, etc). The factory mufflers are super quiet and can be improved upon for some slight hp increases by improving exhaust flow through them. Also think that if we ran a single exhaust as jdmekcivic on IS300.net is currently doing, that there may be even more gains to be had with a trade off on looks of course. Just a guess that the single exhaust at the right size diameter would help optimize exhaust flow by keeping the exhaust together in one pipe (higher temps) hence speeding up the exhaust flow out the back of the car. I could be wrong as I haven't seen any proof about the theory.

GNN60GT500 who works for Magnaflow said the following which seemed to make sense.

"Building an exhaust system is about creating the maximum exhaust velocity with the least exhaust back pressure-

Bigger pipes, or dual pipes decrease back pressure, but they also decrease the velocity as well- not to mention that by creating dual exhaust, you are also creating more surface area which results in more friction-

In reality, you would probably make the most power by maintaining a single pipe to the back of the car- and loosing the dual tips on the car all together-"

Last edited by caymandive; 12-21-06 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 06:52 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Personally I do not think that it looks "rice". If it has a good exhaust note and has a slight performance increase then it would be in my consideration of a new axel back exhaust system. If it gains no more than other less epensive systems then I would not consider it due to the price. 750 vs 550 for the Tenabe(sp) with no gains would not be a good tradeoff. But I will wait and see! Thanks for the post and the pics!
Old 12-21-06, 10:05 AM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Technically thats not legal either on all OBDII cars.

Here is something that I found that references it....

--
Both the EPA and CARB have the following policy on OBDII Aftermarket Converter Replacement:

1. The original converter is shown to be defective by emission tests, the OBDII system or the converter is physically damaged, and the converter is no longer covered by the OEM vehicle emission warranty (generally 8 years or 80,000)
2. The aftermarket converter is selected based on the converter manufacturer's catalog.
3. The aftermarket converter is in the same location as the original converter.
4. The converter is installed with any other required converters for the application (i.e., 2-for-1 replacement is not permitted) and other functioning OEM converters must remain installed.
5. After installation, the OBDII diagnostic codes need to be cleared according to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions; otherwise, the OBDII system may immediately turn on the Check Engine Light.
6. A completed warranty card must be returned to the manufacturer.
-----

Basically, as a manufactuer, many will not make a product that will be deem "off-road" use only..especially for a new model Lexus.
Old 12-21-06, 10:15 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS JZS161
Technically thats not legal either on all OBDII cars.

Here is something that I found that references it....

--
Both the EPA and CARB have the following policy on OBDII Aftermarket Converter Replacement:

1. The original converter is shown to be defective by emission tests, the OBDII system or the converter is physically damaged, and the converter is no longer covered by the OEM vehicle emission warranty (generally 8 years or 80,000)
2. The aftermarket converter is selected based on the converter manufacturer's catalog.
3. The aftermarket converter is in the same location as the original converter.
4. The converter is installed with any other required converters for the application (i.e., 2-for-1 replacement is not permitted) and other functioning OEM converters must remain installed.
5. After installation, the OBDII diagnostic codes need to be cleared according to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions; otherwise, the OBDII system may immediately turn on the Check Engine Light.
6. A completed warranty card must be returned to the manufacturer.
-----

Basically, as a manufactuer, many will not make a product that will be deem "off-road" use only..especially for a new model Lexus.
Good find. So the only options right now are the axleback variant, or full blown non carb exempt dual exhaust(LMS)

Quick Reply: Teaser pics of the HKS Hi-Power exhaust system