Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best Intake for IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 04:12 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is getting me so mad why is their no cai out yet this short ram is killing me i wwant an intake so bad but not going to buy a short ram for the sound then when a cai comes out buy that for the power and sound mite as well just wait WHENNN anyone got some answers Anythingg
Old 12-26-06, 04:19 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,552 Likes on 676 Posts

I plan on making a CAI for mine. I mainly fabricate things like these for turbocharged applications. Do you guys think incorporating a small intercooler will help cool intake temps without reducing airflow for normally aspirated application? This will be simple to make.
Old 12-26-06, 08:21 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
We must be looking at different Dyno's then. I've seen the dyno charts and actually got my car dynoed at Fujita. The only appreciable difference was at lower RPM range that you can't even accuratly measure becuase the car downshifts. There was no more than a 3hp difference in the measurable area of the dyno.
It's just not worth the effort, Ramon.
Old 12-26-06, 08:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Since the original poster is in Cali, may be useful to post if any of these are CARB certified as well if you know.
Old 12-26-06, 10:23 PM
gassman
Pole Position

Stock+K&N+removal of mesh.
Old 12-27-06, 08:34 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
this is getting me so mad why is their no cai out yet this short ram is killing me i wwant an intake so bad but not going to buy a short ram for the sound then when a cai comes out buy that for the power and sound mite as well just wait WHENNN anyone got some answers Anythingg
hey captain obvious, the car has a stock CAI. replace stock pipe, remove carbon element and you'll have a more powerful more aggressive sounding car.
Old 12-27-06, 08:57 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Can I make a suggestion?

Every week we have a set of new Intake and Exhaust threads - can we get a summary thread up and sticky it?

Make one thread the Intake one and another the Exhaust.

As for the CAI, your IS has one stock, the air intake is mounted in the center, outside of the engine compartment and then routed to the box. Only thing that might be improved is a straighter pathway and it may be pretty straight stock.
Old 12-27-06, 02:09 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uschardcor
hey Captain Obvious, the car has a stock CAI.
Damn, I hate when a superhero's cover is blown...
Old 12-30-06, 04:35 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

yea stock wise a s s we want to yield more hp thanks for telling me what the car already has CAPTAIN OBVIOUS we were all speaking about aftermarket
Old 01-02-07, 11:18 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Is there a way to give the stock intake a more aggressive tone? If so then an SRI would be a pointless since the power gains areant proven.
Old 01-02-07, 12:00 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivo154
Is there a way to give the stock intake a more aggressive tone? If so then an SRI would be a pointless since the power gains areant proven.
Remove the 2 intake resonators. JoeZ pipe will eliminate one and the other can be pulled off and covered with something as I believe another member did by cutting a piece of plastic and gluing it over the small hole where the resonator was.

JoeZ intake alone wont' add much of a sound difference at all, but I believe if the second resonator is removed it will be more noticeable.
Old 01-02-07, 05:13 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I plan on making a CAI for mine. I mainly fabricate things like these for turbocharged applications. Do you guys think incorporating a small intercooler will help cool intake temps without reducing airflow for normally aspirated application? This will be simple to make.
Intercoolers are very restrictive. The reason why FI people use them is because their intake temps are WAY higher than ambient, and they can compensate for the reduced flow by increasing the boost. Without FI, the difference in intake temperature would not overcome the restriction.
Old 01-02-07, 05:16 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uschardcor
hey captain obvious, the car has a stock CAI. replace stock pipe, remove carbon element and you'll have a more powerful more aggressive sounding car.
I agree with you about the power, but not the sound. I've replaced my OEM intake pipe with the Joez pipe; removed the carbon filter, capped the resonator in the cold air snorkel, and replaced the OEM filter with an HKS foam filter. I haven't noticed ANY difference in sound.
Old 01-02-07, 05:20 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Remove the 2 intake resonators. JoeZ pipe will eliminate one and the other can be pulled off and covered with something as I believe another member did by cutting a piece of plastic and gluing it over the small hole where the resonator was.

JoeZ intake alone wont' add much of a sound difference at all, but I believe if the second resonator is removed it will be more noticeable.
That was me, but it didn't make a difference in sound. I posted a thread about it here with bumper cam video comparisons.
Old 01-06-07, 06:57 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

all SRI's will make the same power, i have a LMS because i bought mine in summer of 06 when they only had LMS. But if i didnt have an intake and wanted to buy one from all the options now, i would go with Injen. Ive used injen in my previous cars and have been impressed with their power gains and reliablity.

2003 Acura TL Type-S
2000 Toyota 4Runner Sport
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Accord EX
1993 Acura Legend (my most missed ride )
1997 Honda Prelude
1993 Honda Civic Si
1994 Integra LS

So basically ive used Injen and only Injen and they are by far a excellent intake manufacter. Im keeping my LMS one instead of switching because the LMS seems to be holding up and has good build quality. AEM's r by far the crappiest

Quick Reply: Best Intake for IS350?