Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best Intake for IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 07:06 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I agree with you about the power, but not the sound. I've replaced my OEM intake pipe with the Joez pipe; removed the carbon filter, capped the resonator in the cold air snorkel, and replaced the OEM filter with an HKS foam filter. I haven't noticed ANY difference in sound.
I have a Joe Z and a K&N drop in, I haven't modified the 2nd resonator at all and I can definatly tell a difference. It's not HUGE, but it's definatly there. Most others with the Joe Z have also noticed this slight change in sound.

Last edited by Ramon; 01-06-07 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-06-07, 10:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I have a Joe Z and a K&N drop in, I haven't modified the 2nd resonator at all and I can definatly tell a difference. It's not HUGE, but it's definatly there. Most others with the Joe Z have also noticed this slight change in sound.I have a Joe Z and a K&N drop in, I haven't modified the 2nd resonator at all and I can definatly tell a difference. It's not HUGE, but it's definatly there. Most others with the Joe Z have also noticed this slight change in sound.
I recorded this video with several different intake combos on my car.

Last edited by Gernby; 01-07-07 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-06-07, 11:13 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

My appoligies. I edited my post.
Old 01-07-07, 10:19 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
My appoligies. I edited my post.
I editted mine too.
Old 01-13-07, 02:51 PM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

Without FI, the difference in intake temperature would not overcome the restriction.
This is not true. Turbochargers run under vacuum most of the time, which is like negative Normally Aspirated and still push air through intercoolers.
Old 01-13-07, 06:01 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Optimus
This is not true. Turbochargers run under vacuum most of the time, which is like negative Normally Aspirated and still push air through intercoolers.
LOL ... in the case that a TC is in vaccuum, then the IC will actually WARM the intake air, since the vaccuum will cause the intake air to get colder only to be warmed back up near ambient by the IC.
Old 01-13-07, 06:04 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, my comment that you quoted was TOTALLY regarding using an IC on a normally aspirated intake. In FI applications, they are great.
Old 01-14-07, 09:04 AM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

BTW, my comment that you quoted was TOTALLY regarding using an IC on a normally aspirated intake. In FI applications, they are great.
But saying it couldn't get air through it in NA form is wrong. All through the idea of an intercooler on a NA car is like having a superchareger on the manifold with the belts off.

P.S. - Plan on selling that ECU of yours? It looks really cool...think it would work with the TOM's Supercharger?
Old 01-14-07, 10:28 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

But saying it couldn't get air through it in NA form is wrong. All through the idea of an intercooler on a NA car is like having a superchareger on the manifold with the belts off.

P.S. - Plan on selling that ECU of yours? It looks really cool...think it would work with the TOM's Supercharger?
I didn't say that an NA setup wouldn't be able to pull air through an IC. I do see how my post above might have been interpretted that way, but I what I meant was:

Without FI, the gains from the difference in intake temperature would not overcome the losses from the added restriction.

I hope to offer my piggy-back ECU for sale sometime in the future, but I have no idea when. I think it would be fantastic for FI applications.
Old 01-15-07, 12:34 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

I recorded this video with several different intake combos on my car.

great vid! im not sure what the snorkel stuff is but i think i like the last clip the best
Old 01-15-07, 07:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by racinghart
great vid! im not sure what the snorkel stuff is but i think i like the last clip the best
The snorkel is what carries cold air from above the radiator down to the air box. It is MUCH louder without the snorkel, but performance is noticeably degraded.
Old 02-03-07, 11:08 AM
bturnbaugh
Driver

I disagree that it is not worth it.
Old 02-03-07, 02:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

LOL ... in the case that a TC is in vaccuum, then the IC will actually WARM the intake air, since the vaccuum will cause the intake air to get colder only to be warmed back up near ambient by the IC.
No it won't. The low pressure region is behind the throttlebody. Very few turbo applications have the throttleplate in front of the compressor. OEM systems are universally well after the compressor and IC, which leads to...

But saying it couldn't get air through it in NA form is wrong. All through the idea of an intercooler on a NA car is like having a superchareger on the manifold with the belts off...
Not even in the ball park. A heat exchanger on an NA application is the biggest waste of an intake restriction you can imagine. The cooling effect of the air going through the throttlebody is FAR greater than any heat exchanger (intercooler, aftercooler, charge cooler - whatever you want to call it) could ever provide. Once you are at WOT, you get atmospheric temperature, which is the same temperature you will get with or without a heat exchanger.

The ONLY reason for a heat exchanger on an intake is to support forced induction. Air heats when it compresses. No matter how you compress the air - turbocharger, supercharger, leaf blower, etc. - you will add heat to the air when it is compressed. A heat exchanger lets you remove some of the heat (which, BTW, also reduces pressure!) to allow your engine to use cheaper fuel, or add more boost on the same fuel without detonating. They are absolutely pointless on an NA application, and the added restriction would only add to pumping losses in the system.
Old 02-03-07, 03:50 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No it won't. The low pressure region is behind the throttlebody. Very few turbo applications have the throttleplate in front of the compressor. OEM systems are universally well after the compressor and IC, which leads to...
My statement wasn't about turbo or SC applications. It was totally about using an IC with an NA setup. I would agree that the biggest low pressure region in the intake is after the TB, but every minor restriction (cold air snorkel, air filter, MAF) will cause some reduction in pressure (and some cooling). I actually measured this a few years ago with my S2000 by running a temp sensor up through my intake pipe just a couple inches before the TB. There was almost a 1 degree drop in IAT between cruising at 80 MPH, and cruising at 140 MPH. At 80 MPH, the IAT was right at ambient.
Old 02-04-07, 11:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

I know you were talking about an NA setup, but there's no practical way to put a charge cooler between the throttlebody and the manifold. And as you said, if you did, it would add heat, not remove it.

The throttlebody will create a much greater temperature drop at an inverse to opening (less opening, more cooling; more opening, less cooling) and the valves themselves create a wonderful cooling effect when the intake charge goes into the cylinder (which fights fuel atomisation in port injected and carburetted applications, but does not similarly affect GDI since the fuel doesn't enter the combustion chamber until after the intake valve is finished with its task and temperature is rising from compression.)

One degree on IAT isn't going to make the difference between running regular or premium, or between running pump premium and 100 octane. I'd call it a negligible difference for all practical applications.

Quick Reply: Best Intake for IS350?