Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which would you buy?
HKS
29.77%
Greddy
9.92%
Tanabe
29.01%
Tom's
3.05%
OEM (I dodn't want to waste money)
28.24%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Pro & Cons on Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 04:54 PM
Dan SS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey GNN60GT500, what kind of Magnaflow system did you get?

I had a Magnaflow muffler on an IS300 I had before and really liked it. I have a 250 now and I'm considering doing something with the exhaust to open it up, but I don't want it loud.
Old 01-01-07, 08:42 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on keeping the stock mufflers, and just modify the stock mid-pipe. It shouldn't cost more than $200 if you can find someone willing to do it.
Attached Thumbnails Pro & Cons on Aftermarket Exhaust?-mid-pipe.jpg  
Old 01-02-07, 12:36 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but why would you modify the mid pipe then leave the stock mufflers on? im assuming your worried about noise right? You are helping the car "flow better" with the mid pipe switch but it would be restricted by the mufflers.
Old 01-02-07, 06:52 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AM1
but why would you modify the mid pipe then leave the stock mufflers on? im assuming your worried about noise right? You are helping the car "flow better" with the mid pipe switch but it would be restricted by the mufflers.
Considering that nobody is getting significant gains from replacing the stock mufflers, I believe that the stock mufflers aren't very restrictive. I suspect that the cats are the bottle neck, so I want to remove them first.
Old 01-02-07, 10:41 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh you're talking about removing the cats? That should help but i think its illegal. i think random technology makes aftermarket high flow cats...but really how much gain were you expecting? You're definetly not going to get huge gains by modifying the exhaust like you would if the car was turbo or supercharged.
Old 01-02-07, 11:06 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

went with Tanabe and love it!
Old 01-02-07, 02:44 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Hey gernby.. So you decided to go with the removal of the 2nd cats and silencer? That's cool, I will be right behind you if it sounds good. Also if your local to DFW and find a place to do it, tell them that you have another lined up if you think that would help
Old 01-02-07, 03:40 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
Hey gernby.. So you decided to go with the removal of the 2nd cats and silencer? That's cool, I will be right behind you if it sounds good. Also if your local to DFW and find a place to do it, tell them that you have another lined up if you think that would help
I'm thinking about doing it myself, or part of it. The local muffler shop said they would sell me the stuff to do what he won't do (remove the cats), then he would be willing to "fix" what I screwed up.

BTW, I am in McKinney.
Old 01-02-07, 04:18 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Yea now I remember you saying that, well like I said I'm doing it to unless it sounds horrible, regardless of the gains if any.. Hope your ok with being the guinea pig lol, if you wouldn't mind letting me know of your results/progress that'd be awesome
Old 01-02-07, 04:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Yea now I remember you saying that, well like I said I'm doing it to unless it sounds horrible, regardless of the gains if any.. Hope your ok with being the guinea pig lol, if you wouldn't mind letting me know of your results/progress that'd be awesome
I'll definitely post pics and a video when I do it.
Old 01-02-07, 05:59 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
I plan on keeping the stock mufflers, and just modify the stock mid-pipe. It shouldn't cost more than $200 if you can find someone willing to do it.

i did that when i got my car a month in.. it was eh~ its not as loud as i thought it would be. think of it like tanabe exhaust just a little louder. droning goes away at 3k rpm. i rewelded it like 3 months later because i missed the "silence"

i don't know if any of you remember this.. i posted this last december 2005.

magnaflow w/ cut 2ndary cats. i paid $120. all they do is cut it and replace it w/ 2 pipes

Old 01-02-07, 06:23 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am right here with you guys too!!! Since the first set of cats are the only ones monitored by the ECU, we are ok to remove them. We will still pass tx state inspection and add some HP I am sure. I would like to do this mod and maybe even put some magnaflows on there like one other member has done. If you find a place in DFW that does this tell them that you not only have 07txlex behind you, but also 1 more member.
Old 01-02-07, 07:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihkskim
i did that when i got my car a month in.. it was eh~ its not as loud as i thought it would be. think of it like tanabe exhaust just a little louder. droning goes away at 3k rpm. i rewelded it like 3 months later because i missed the "silence"

i don't know if any of you remember this.. i posted this last december 2005.

magnaflow w/ cut 2ndary cats. i paid $120. all they do is cut it and replace it w/ 2 pipes

To clarify ... are you saying that JUST removing the secondary cats made the exhaust louder than the Tanabe exhaust?! ... and it had a drone?!
Old 01-02-07, 07:47 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

removing the 2ndary cats and getting custom piping done w/ the magnaflows did it. it's definately louder than tanabe.. not by that much though. I don't know how loud it would'ave been by just removing the 2ndary pipes. but it can't be that off.. magnaflows are consdered to be quiet
Old 01-02-07, 07:52 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihkskim
removing the 2ndary cats and getting custom piping done w/ the magnaflows did it. it's definately louder than tanabe.. not by that much though. I don't know how loud it would'ave been by just removing the 2ndary pipes. but it can't be that off.. magnaflows are consdered to be quiet
Magnaflows might be quiet by "performance aftermarket" standards, but I'm sure they caused the majority of the sound increase. FWIW, I removed my cat (the only one) on my S2000, and it only made a slight increase in sound with everything else stock.

Quick Reply: Pro & Cons on Aftermarket Exhaust?