Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which would you buy?
HKS
29.77%
Greddy
9.92%
Tanabe
29.01%
Tom's
3.05%
OEM (I dodn't want to waste money)
28.24%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Pro & Cons on Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 12:39 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pro & Cons on Aftermarket Exhaust?

Please tell me what you like and what you don't like about your aftermarket exhaust. Also, which one you like best. Post pictures if you have any.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-06, 12:59 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Please tell me what you like and what you don't like about your aftermarket exhaust. Also, which one you like best. Post pictures if you have any.

Thanks!
Whats the point of an aftermarket exhaust?
It costs a pretty penny, it makes more noise usually and it rarely gives you more than 10 hp to the wheels.

In my opinion it is not worth it unless youre going to turbo your car and need to redo whole intake.
Old 12-27-06, 01:16 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfw350
It costs a pretty penny, it makes more noise usually and it rarely gives you more than 10 hp to the wheels.

In my opinion it is not worth it unless youre going to turbo your car and need to redo whole intake.
Wow! Suprised to hear that from you.

The point is because they look and SOUND good. The cost varies. It is no different than changing out rims really. Rims certainly cost a "pretty penny" also. Car came with perfectly good ones, so what is the point in changing them.

No system will give you any significant hp gains so the purchase is just for looks and sound.
Old 12-27-06, 02:04 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Im still happy with my custom Magnaflow exhaust- less then $300 including install- looks and sounds great-

In fact I just picked up my car last night from its first service (and rear spoiler install)

and when I walked outside, there was about 4 guys from the dealer standing around it and they all wanted to know how I made it sound so nice!
Old 12-27-06, 02:59 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350

Agree... all about your preference.
Old 12-27-06, 03:00 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Wow! Suprised to hear that from you.

The point is because they look and SOUND good. The cost varies. It is no different than changing out rims really. Rims certainly cost a "pretty penny" also. Car came with perfectly good ones, so what is the point in changing them.

No system will give you any significant hp gains so the purchase is just for looks and sound.
Agree here too... all about your preference.
Old 12-27-06, 05:25 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

its a personal choice, its more for looks and sound (as mentioned) .
Old 12-27-06, 05:41 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

i have an HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust, and i love it. It sounds absolutely amazing, hopefully u have heard it before, but if not its on youtube. Tanabe exhaust..i dont like it too much and IMO it sounds terrible.

Although i love the exhaust, sometimes it is annoying as hell when you are not in the mood. No matter what speed your going or how light your pressing on the gas, its very loud and attention-grabbing.(usually negative). Also, you have to be that much more cautious if you get an exhaust becuase it also attracts cops attention as well. it sucks, i know. Other than that, its amazing when your just crusing and somebody tries to race you. As soon as they hear your exhaust, they don't know what they just got themselves into.

Overall, i love my exhaust but there are times that it can be annoying and get you unnecessary attention.
Old 12-27-06, 08:51 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Pros:

1. May sound better (subjective).
2. May look better (subjective).
3. May result in modest increase in hp.

Cons:

1. May result in decrease in hp.
2. May drone or be annoying.
3. May cause warranty issues, depending on how far you go with the tubing replacement.
4. May look like crap. I've seen several on here that do not align with the holes in the rear bumper nearly as well as stock. I've also seen a few with oversized exhaust finishers that look retarded on an IS <puke icon>

It's a matter of taste. I think most people truly do it to impress others. You can't see them when you're driving, and they don't usually do anything but make noise. YMMV.

As an aside, every time I see an idiot go under a bridge and floor his car in neutral to show off his exhaust, I want to pull him out of the car and smack some sense into him. Regardless of your choice to buy or not buy an aftermarket exhaust, please remember that 99.9% of us don't want to "share" that crap with you.

Last edited by 15951; 12-27-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 08:56 PM
nine9898
Driver

i love tanabe......i can't over the sound
Old 12-27-06, 09:35 PM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

I was thinking about either the tanabe or the new HKS thats about to come out. I like the Lexus HKS, but the price tag is...unbeleivable.
Old 12-27-06, 09:46 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i like aftermarket exhuasts....when ppl whine and complain bout it being too loud , then maybe you shouldn;t get one in the first place. just like people who complain when their car is too low. If you can't put up with it don't get it. I used to have a straight pipe thermal exhuast in my old car and "lived with it" for years....
Old 12-30-06, 10:08 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

as long as it does not sound like a civic, im all for a discreat clean looking exhaust. too each his own.........
Old 12-30-06, 06:28 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I'm of the thought that the money spent on aftermarket parts could have been used to get a better overall car. I guess with the IS350, it MIGHT be ok, as there isn't something obviously better within a reasonable price range. You made your choice regarding the 335i and G35. (Though there are those that might have preferred the 335i but the price diff and deal potential was significant for them at this time.)

However, if you are driving an IS250, and end up spending a significant amount of money on aftermarket parts, you might as well have gotten an IS350 or G35...

That's my thought... maybe I'm just getting old and cheap.
Old 12-31-06, 01:54 AM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
as long as it does not sound like a civic, im all for a discreat clean looking exhaust. too each his own.........
You'll be surprise how good the sound of a some civic that has good JDM I/RH/E. I wouldn't mind it being on my IS at all. According to Glen at Ugrade Motoring, the IS fujitubo header in combination with the IS fujitsubo exhaust sounds very similar to the fujitsubo powergetter on my RSX-S.

Quick Reply: Pro & Cons on Aftermarket Exhaust?