Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen intake owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 05:44 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Injen intake owners

I have an Injen short ram intake w/ heatshield for my '02 GS300. I just had my car repaired after two trips to the dealer for a check engine light. Since I took it to the dealer, I put the stock intake back on. Now, I want to put my Injen intake back on but I am afraid the CEL will turn on again. Do you guys think I should put the Injen intake on or should I leave the stock intake on? Has anybody ever had trouble with the injen intake?
Old 01-05-07, 02:29 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know why but it seems as if intakes don't play nice with the GS300. I have tried 3 different intakes and all have resulted in power loss and CEL's. Yeah, it makes your car sound louder and meaner, but thats about it. The main problem is that the GS300 uses a very sensitive maf sensor and the ecu compensates for all outside variables. An aftermarket intake flows waaay too differently for the ecu to compensate so in return the car runs like crap. If you want to run an aftermarket intake, the only one I would recommend the SRT unit because it is pre-tuned and comes with a piggyback ecu to feed your car's stock ecu the correct parameters. The other option is to keep your Injen intake and then get it tuned with an SAFC-2.

In the end though, I think the best option is to sell your intake and put the stock one back on. Thats what I did. Those extra 5-8HP's aren't worth the $400-500 to me. Also, even if you get it working properly...your low end power will suffer because mose of those intakes are tuned for high end power output. Just run the stock intake, save up for a turbo kit and be done with it
Old 01-05-07, 06:07 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. SRT or forget about it. Meters are calibrated to read based on a calculated airflow. You cant just throw the meter in any old tube and expect it to read right. It might, but dont expect it to.