Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 11:46 AM
Xelvic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is the first exhaust I think I might buy. I need to hear it! I didn't like the LMS because it was to loud.
Old 01-03-07, 11:59 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
it acts as an X pipe.

and yes Nova there are two sets of cats, hence why i chose the words primary, and secondary.

pocky, it has two of them. the stock system only has one i believe, so it is an improvement i suppose.

al and gernby, thats why i sent them an e-mail, because they do not have 'off-road use only' on the website.

regardless, my state is cooler than yours, because it doesn't give a ****. i'll be daily driving it, dependant on sound.
How do you know that there is even a passageway between the 2 pipes in the front section? I zoomed in on the picture, and all I see is a couple tack welds where the pipes touch. If there is an opening between them, it must be pretty small.

BTW, the EPA is not a state agency. If I remember correctly, the maximum fine (Federal) for removing a working catalytic converter is $10,000. The local muffler shop that I went to said that EPA officers visit him from time to time with pictures taken from across the street by "under cover" EPA officers.
Old 01-03-07, 12:03 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

al and gernby, thats why i sent them an e-mail, because they do not have 'off-road use only' on the website.
some of their catbacks actually are a true catback and don't mess with the cats at all.

regardless, my state is cooler than yours, because it doesn't give a ****. i'll be daily driving it, dependant on sound.
Cool and responsible are usually more exclusive of each other than not.
Old 01-03-07, 12:14 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Under the EPA Clean Air act it is against the law to tamper with and or replace any emissions control device. It also goes as far as saying that once you are out of warranty and something does happen to a catalytic converter you must replace it with a new one that meets or exceeds the original equipment. I really wish Lexus hadn't put that second set of cats on the car, but since they did most likely to obtain an ULEV status we are kinda stuck with them or keep the car "off-road"

Here are a few links:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...ile/amcced.pdf

Edit: I just talked to a buddy of mine that worked several years in a performance shop and he told me that it shouldn't be a big deal and not to be scared to install this exhaust. He said that most aftermarket exhausts for sale should be implied as "off-road" use only unless they specifically say otherwise. Worst case scenario you could always put the stock exhaust back on for emissions testing and unless a cop has an IS350 and pulls you over for exhaust he will see at least one set of cats and shouldn't bother with you unless it's too loud of course. Who knows with BORLA they may have a different answer to give us and maybe some kind of exemption since the second set of cats aren't monitored and the car already meets he EPA emissions test with just the 1st set of cats.

Last edited by caymandive; 01-03-07 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 12:21 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
How do you know that there is even a passageway between the 2 pipes in the front section? I zoomed in on the picture, and all I see is a couple tack welds where the pipes touch. If there is an opening between them, it must be pretty small.
because i asked, and they told me, about a month ago.
Old 01-03-07, 12:25 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

If all of this is true, then the borla is the best exhaust available (pending dyno numbers & user impressions)
Old 01-03-07, 12:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

because i asked, and they told me, about a month ago.
Cool!
Old 01-03-07, 02:58 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

so who's gonna be the first?
Old 01-03-07, 03:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Has anyone checked with other Borla vendors for better pricing, or to see if it's even on the shelves yet?
Old 01-03-07, 04:01 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just emailed several Borla vendors on eBay to see if they will be offering it. They seem to be about 20% cheaper than Borla's MSRP.
Old 01-03-07, 06:51 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I got a reply from one of the eBay vendors saying he would sell it for $1199 shipped. Since the other eBay vendors are doing 20% less than MSRP ($1360 MSRP with shipping - 20% = $1088), I made a counter offer of $1100 shipped. If he agrees, I'll order it immediately.

BTW, I haven't heard back from any of the other dozen vendors I've emailed.
Old 01-03-07, 06:57 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
I got a reply from one of the eBay vendors saying he would sell it for $1199 shipped. Since the other eBay vendors are doing 20% less than MSRP ($1360 MSRP with shipping - 20% = $1088), I made a counter offer of $1100 shipped. If he agrees, I'll order it immediately.

BTW, I haven't heard back from any of the other dozen vendors I've emailed.

im sure he will agree.
Old 01-03-07, 11:02 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

are those 2 small resonators included with the package?
Old 01-03-07, 11:28 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The exhaust system looks bad ***, but the mufflers and tips don't look so clean. I like the way Tanabe looks waaaaaaaaaaay better. The design just doesn't look as though it flows with the lines of the car, almost like the new dual exhaust on the E 500 or 550 whatever it is. Basically what I am saying is that the tips need to be more circular and more inset to contour with the lines of the rear valance.
Old 01-04-07, 07:06 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

yes Linh, it seems they are resonators.

As far as street use, and cat removal. well this is pretty damn mind twisting...
Originally Posted by borla
Thank you for contacting BORLA PERFORMANCE. The system for this vehicle does not remove any cats and is smog legal. If you have additional questions regarding Borla exhaust check out our web site www.Borla.com you may contact me Direct anytime Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 PST with questions or concerns
Regarding our products.
i've sent them another email trying to clarify that there IS a set of secondary cats, and that they are non-existent on the new exhaust. Maybe the second buldge after the primary cats, aren't cats at all, something else maybe. dunno guys i'll let ya know.

p.s.
lobux get the hell in here

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!