Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 07:12 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Borla doesn't realize that the stock exhaust does have secondary cats in the mid-pipe, then it may be best NOT to ask any more questions about it. I would hate to see Borla pull the plug on this product when they find out it is not street legal.

BTW, Lobuxracer has already talked about this issue in other exhuast threads. The "second bulge after the primary cars" are in fact cats.
Old 01-04-07, 07:23 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that this is bound to happen once people fail emisions and borla says its street legal.
Old 01-04-07, 07:34 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

well, first it won't fail emissions. if the primary cat is untouched, the emissions will be fine. if the emissions weren't correct the o2 sensors int he primary cats would detect this and throw an error.

the legality comes down to the inability to tamper with or remove any catalytic converter. i've never come across a car with two sets of cats so i'm really not sure what the deal is. maybe the secondary cats have a specific name granted them by the epa and thats why they are touchable as emissions have technically be met before the exhaust fumes ever reach them.

but really i have no clue just pondering here. i'll let you know what i hear back
Old 01-04-07, 07:43 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I got a reply from one of the eBay vendors saying he would sell it for $1199 shipped. Since the other eBay vendors are doing 20% less than MSRP ($1360 MSRP with shipping - 20% = $1088), I made a counter offer of $1100 shipped. If he agrees, I'll order it immediately.

BTW, I haven't heard back from any of the other dozen vendors I've emailed.
the cheapest ive seen so far on the exhaust:

http://performance.thepartsbin.com/b...3&brandid=2801

plus it says free shipping and another 6% off... someone jump on this so we can have some feedback on the exhaust. it comes up to under $1000!
Old 01-04-07, 07:59 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250

plus it says free shipping and another 6% off... someone jump on this so we can have some feedback on the exhaust. it comes up to under $1000!
Better For Towing: LOL
7 To 15% Increase In Horsepower Over Stock System: 21-45hp gains

Yeah someone jump on this and give us a full evaluation.
Old 01-04-07, 08:47 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
well, first it won't fail emissions. if the primary cat is untouched, the emissions will be fine. if the emissions weren't correct the o2 sensors int he primary cats would detect this and throw an error.
Not trying to flame you but unless you've been able to test this or you're an engineer for Lexus, you have no real basis to make this claim. The readings from the primary cats probably takes into consideration the effect of the second set of cats. If it didn't, then there would be no reason for Lexus to add weight/complexity, $$$, and stifle the car's power with the second set of cats.

I'm not saying you're wrong as it may very well pass emissions with the primaries only. However, making the claim that it won't without proper foundation is irresponsible and could lead to nasty surprises for the forum members who might rely on your opinion.
Old 01-04-07, 09:03 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

well, i am an engineer, not for lexus. trying to take into effect the effect of the second cat in the readings the o2 sensors sends, makes no sense. if this was the objective, the o2 sensors would be in the second cat. meaning lexus is NOT the type of company to deal with such a large margin of error this would create, would never be allowed by the company or the epa

why would lexus include them? well, to make it a lexus. to make it as clean a car as possible. to make it a very quiet car (resonators plus mufflers help with this).

almost every part of our car is untested, at least not thoroughly. so everything is a guess or hypothesis at this point. i would easily put $100 on the fac tthat if you cut the exhaust pipe after the primary cats, the car would run with out error.

Last edited by uschardcor; 01-04-07 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-04-07, 09:34 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_250

I just ordered it for the exact same price ($997.29 shipped) from one of the eBay vendors I emailed last night. I have no idea when I'll receive it...
Old 01-04-07, 09:35 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uschardcor
so everything is a guess or hypothesis at this point.
That was my main point. Your statement that it would pass emissions is just a hypothesis/guess.

Your guess about the reasoning for the secondary cats may also be correct. However, my guess is no more or less valid than yours.

To make any statements in the absolute is not possible at this time.
Old 01-04-07, 09:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I just ordered it for the exact same price ($997.29 shipped) from one of the eBay vendors I emailed last night. I have no idea when I'll receive it...
You planning to dyno before and after? I'm willing to pitch in a few bucks for the testing.
Old 01-04-07, 09:47 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
You planning to dyno before and after? I'm willing to pitch in a few bucks for the testing.
I will definitely do a dyno test afterwards, but since I just dyno'ed it a couple months ago, I'm not sure if I'll do another before test. I'll think about it...
Old 01-04-07, 09:47 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

nice work gernby. thanks for being the pig on this one

only thing i'm concerned about with the exhaust is its note, and if it carries the dreaded borla drone.
Old 01-04-07, 09:48 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
I pitched in for cayman's dyno testing and I'm willing to do the same here.

Even $5 from a bunch of us would help out gern, who is taking the time and making an effort for the community.

Gernby: let us know when you get it and when you go in for testing.
Old 01-04-07, 09:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I will definitely do a dyno test afterwards, but since I just dyno'ed it a couple months ago, I'm not sure if I'll do another before test. I'll think about it...
Try and do another one and I'll pitch in extra. Not sure how close you are with the dyno shop, but perhaps they could give you a deal. I'll pitch in $20 and with other members like al503 the sessions would end up costing you little.
Old 01-04-07, 09:58 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

setup a paypal donation and i'll throw in some 10s.

like i've always said, if you want people to give you money, you have to make it as effortless as possible. people won't spend both time and money on charity.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!