Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 05:00 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this on YouTube. It says Borla Exhaust on IS350. It Was posted on 9/22/06. I don't know if it's a universal exhaust or the one made just for our car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...446094&q=is350
Old 01-04-07, 05:04 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

I like!! Nice and Deep sounding!
Old 01-04-07, 05:14 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just spoke with the vendor on the phone. It seems to be a HUGE company with many distribution centers, and I suspect that the call center is in India, since I spoke with 2 different people with Indian accents. Anyway, they said that the exhaust is "temporarily out of stock", which I'm sure they've never actually had it in stock. They also said that the exhaust should be "back in stock in 2-3 weeks". We'll see ...
Old 01-04-07, 05:17 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xelvic
I found this on YouTube. It says Borla Exhaust on IS350. It Was posted on 9/22/06. I don't know if it's a universal exhaust or the one made just for our car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...446094&q=is350
That is the custom "Team Lexus" exhaust system that someone purchased when Team Lexus was disolved. I doubt the retail Borla exhaust will be the same. It did sound good though!
Old 01-04-07, 05:59 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here's a couple threads about the Team Lexus Borla exhaust.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247594
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236376
Old 01-04-07, 07:01 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I love the exhaust!!

Get me some dyno numbers and I'll add this beast to my list!
Old 01-04-07, 07:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Looks like a decent replacement for stock. I'd still rather see a single pipe/single muffler to reduce weight, but that's just me.

AFA the cat discussion, there are four cats total. This diagram removes all doubt:
Attached Thumbnails Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!-is350-exhaust-configuration.gif  
Old 01-04-07, 07:35 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I thought TWC's required air pumps ...
Old 01-04-07, 07:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, thanks for posting lobux, and I would also be interested in a single exhaust if it looked good, and there was a nice looking rear valance for the unused exhaust cutout.
Old 01-04-07, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Federal law has already been discussed here, but a couple of minor points got lost in the shuffle.

The law says it is illegal to remove a working catalytic converter. No exceptions. So for the Borla exhaust to meet EPA requirements, it has to be installed behind the second cats. Otherwise it is "off-road only" in all 50 states. There are also mileage guidelines for replacing the OEM cat, and since they are warranted by law for 100k miles, replacing the OEM cat with a Random (or any other highflow cat) is illegal unless the original unit got damaged somehow (rubber donut broke and cat hit speed bump, etc, etc,).

All of this is pretty academic for the vast majority of states. You can pretty much do what ever you want as long as you are comfortable with the small chance you will be cited. Fines can be as high as $10k, but from what I have seen they typically run about $2.5k, and the shop doing the work will also be fined about the same amount of money.

If you live in California, there is no way you will be able to remove any cat and pass smog. You may meet the tailpipe performance standard, but you'll never pass the visual, and this is always the hard part for any California resident.

Last and probably most important, Borla has been doing this stuff for a long time. They know what is and isn't a cat. I seriously doubt they've built a system for street use that is illegal. They're a lot smarter than that.
Old 01-04-07, 07:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Gernby
I thought TWC's required air pumps ...
No, TWC just means there are three different bricks with three different washes on them. Modern cats don't need additional air to function.
Old 01-04-07, 08:01 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Last and probably most important, Borla has been doing this stuff for a long time. They know what is and isn't a cat. I seriously doubt they've built a system for street use that is illegal. They're a lot smarter than that.
Agree with you. However, it sure looks like they're not retaining the secondary cats from the pics we have to work with (which may be just a stock pic they used.) Otherwise, it's going to look like spaghetti after the secondary cats.
Old 01-04-07, 08:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Default Spaghetti?

Here's an ugly little MSPaint rendition of the exhaust from the pieces shown on the website. Not quite spaghetti. It does look like the second cats will need to be cut and welded in line though.
Attached Thumbnails Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!-borla-frankenstein.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-04-07 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-04-07, 09:19 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

No, TWC just means there are three different bricks with three different washes on them. Modern cats don't need additional air to function.
I didn't even know what a TWC was until I read a PDF that someone posted earlier (I think in this thread). It said that the different catalysts required different AFRs, so an additional fresh air input was needed for one of the stages...

BTW, thanks for the artist rendition of the final product ... I'll be going to bed with a woody tonight!

Part II of my request about notifying Borla ... Please do NOT talk to Borla about the secondary cats any more! It is obvious that they think their product is smog legal, so don't blow it!
Old 01-04-07, 09:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Lance,

I agree that Borla has been doing this for a long time, and they are smart, but I emailed them earlier today about availability, and they sent a VERY similar looking response to the one earlier in this thread about it being smog legal.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!